Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2012
Doc's Request.
14-11-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
OhCanadiana said:
Sounds like he may have a state background check instead of an FBI one. Take a look at the instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

If he didn't get the FBI background check, submit it soon and once you get it back, mail it in to CPP-O proactively. That way the officer will hopefully have it by the time they review his file (or if they ask you for it beforehand, you can tell them it's on its way).

Can it be done from within Canada? Because he's visiting now until june1st we r in toronto

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Yes, it can. He'll need to find someone to do his fingerprints. Check with your local RCMP. Some areas they still do fingerprints. Others, you will need to google a private company to do them. Fill out the application, include a form of payment and fingerprints, and mail it off. I live in Calgary and it took about 5 weeks round trip to get my blank piece of paper back in the mail.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tashannon said:
Can it be done from within Canada? Because he's visiting now until june1st we r in toronto
Yes, absolutely. You just need to mail the fingerprints and forms in along with the payment. They will even mail it back to Toronto if you wish (include a prepaid courier bill).

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
I've used L-1 (now "morpho") a couple of times here in Canada with great success. They have lots of offices in the Toronto area: http://www.l1id.com/pages/564

They do ink fingerprinting. In my experience they always have the FBI card stock available. Get the prints and send them to West Virginia. I used the credit card payment form ($18) so I could see as soon as they had authorized the charge on the card. I got the results back about a week later. That was a year ago and it took 6 weeks to get them back then. Someone earlier in this thread reported 5 weeks.

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
When I got my FBI clearance, I looked into it a lot. The FBI website said that it would take 16-18 weeks BUT I heard that if you write them a cover letter and send them a self-addressed stamped envelope they can have it done in 3 weeks. On the package that I sent them I was also told to write in big writing the date we required the fingerprints so they would basically know to process that particular package quicker. It worked. We followed instructions and received ours in 2 weeks. This was back in June 2012.

proco

Star Member
Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-April-2012
Doc's Request.
09-October-2012 (CSQ)
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
20-July-2012
Med's Done....
16-April-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Twice! 05-November-2012 & 19-February-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-March-2013
LANDED..........
30-March-2013
Well I'm still one of the last April applicants still waiting for my PR. Not sure what is going on. I believe I'm the last American waiting as all others have received or landed already. I think I need to order my notes for the application. Does anyone know how to go about this? Does it cost anything?

I'm really confused. My passport was requested in early November also stating no interview required.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
proco said:
Well I'm still one of the last April applicants still waiting for my PR. Not sure what is going on. I believe I'm the last American waiting as all others have received or landed already. I think I need to order my notes for the application. Does anyone know how to go about this? Does it cost anything?

I'm really confused. My passport was requested in early November also stating no interview required.
You might try emailing. Ottawa responds pretty quickly (day or so) to email queries (though sometimes the response is "don't call us, don't call you").

proco

Star Member
Nov 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-April-2012
Doc's Request.
09-October-2012 (CSQ)
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
20-July-2012
Med's Done....
16-April-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Twice! 05-November-2012 & 19-February-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-March-2013
LANDED..........
30-March-2013
IvanP said:
You might try emailing. Ottawa responds pretty quickly (day or so) to email queries (though sometimes the response is "don't call us, don't call you").
I've emailed twice now with no response unfortunately.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
It only costs $5 to get your notes and I think you get them within 30 days, so you could definitely do that if you want there's not really anything to loose. Aside from $5, of course haha

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully the notes can give you some answers. The reason they aren't replying to you is probably because the current processing time on their website is 13 months, are you are below that(for now) so they don't feel obligated to help you at all. It's really awful of them but that just seems to be how CIC operates =\

zajirima

Nov 8, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
Anybody know how CIC notifies you of their decision to extend visitor status for U.S. citizens in Canada? This visitor extension application was made by mail (vs. electronic application). We got an XpressPost notice in our mailbox that a letter is ready for pickup from post office but requires a signature. Wondering whether this is their decision. I would like to delay picking it up just in case it's their decision and the request for extension was denied!!

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
zajirima said:
Anybody know how CIC notifies you of their decision to extend visitor status for U.S. citizens in Canada? This visitor extension application was made by mail (vs. electronic application). We got an XpressPost notice in our mailbox that a letter is ready for pickup from post office but requires a signature. Wondering whether this is their decision. I would like to delay picking it up just in case it's their decision and the request for extension was denied!!
I would expect that if it requires a signature it would be approved.
I think when they deny you, they just send a regular letter... where as approval would mean they sent the visitor visa

zajirima

Nov 8, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
Occasita said:
I would expect that if it requires a signature it would be approved.
I think when they deny you, they just send a regular letter... where as approval would mean they sent the visitor visa
I'm thinking it's the opposite. Wanting signature for denial since they want a record of when to start the 30 day clock to leave Canada.

Didi87

Jan 31, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
Yes, absolutely. You just need to mail the fingerprints and forms in along with the payment. They will even mail it back to Toronto if you wish (include a prepaid courier bill).
Shoot.. we just sent in our fingerprints from Canada.. but I didn't know I had to include a prepaid courier bill or self-stamped envelope :/ .. somehow I thought that was part of the $18 processing fee. Will they still mail our FBI clearance to Canada or should we re-do prints and re-send everything with return envelope?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Didi87 said:
Shoot.. we just sent in our fingerprints from Canada.. but I didn't know I had to include a prepaid courier bill or self-stamped envelope :/ .. somehow I thought that was part of the $18 processing fee. Will they still mail our FBI clearance to Canada or should we re-do prints and re-send everything with return envelope?
They don't have to be. I didn't include any type of envelope.

I think the point behind the courier was to speed up the mailing time.

Didi87

Jan 31, 2013
amikety said:
They don't have to be. I didn't include any type of envelope.

I think the point behind the courier was to speed up the mailing time.
phew.. ok good. sorry how long did u say it took u to get the clearance back?