05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
cgagnon said:
http://www.cicnews.com/2012/05/canadian-government-restructures-north-american-visa-offices-051555.html

They talk about what visa office will do what
Doesn't say anything about PR applications though :(

oreidapennsyltucky

Star Member
May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
leodr said:
I have questions about the whole B4 process.
Do you have to own something for 6 months at least before you import it to Canada. What if i buy something in usa today and then move to Canada in a months or 2 months time.
Thanks.
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't know the answer for sure, but I have a hunch that officially you're supposed to own something for 6 months and unofficially they probably don't care much about inexpensive items. For instance, if you buy an article of clothing, they probably won't even ask when you bought it, but if you buy a piece of jewelry that costs $20k, they'll likely ask some questions and charge tax.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
oreidapennsyltucky said:
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't know the answer for sure, but I have a hunch that officially you're supposed to own something for 6 months and unofficially they probably don't care much about inexpensive items. For instance, if you buy an article of clothing, they probably won't even ask when you bought it, but if you buy a piece of jewelry that costs $20k, they'll likely ask some questions and charge tax.
You would be correct :)

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
As a new settler, you are not bound by the 6 months rule. You only need to have owned it and have USED it before you import it. Though bear it mind that you have to include it in the B4 form and get the form stamped when you land. Once the B4 is stamped, you won't be able to add more item onto it for duty/tax free import.

leodr said:
I have questions about the whole B4 process.
Do you have to own something for 6 months at least before you import it to Canada. What if i buy something in usa today and then move to Canada in a months or 2 months time.
Thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
GOGOGO said:
As a new settler, you are not bound by the 6 months rule. You only need to have owned it and have USED it before you import it. Though bear it mind that you have to include it in the B4 form and get the form stamped when you land. Once the B4 is stamped, you won't be able to add more item onto it for duty/tax free import.
Just wanted to add, anything that is over 10k, you will have to declare and pay taxes on from my understanding. Is that right GOGOGO?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
Just wanted to add, anything that is over 10k, you will have to declare and pay taxes on from my understanding. Is that right GOGOGO?
The 10k per-item tax and duty free limit applies for returning Canadians based on the value the day you import the item. In other words, returning Canadians goods are subject to taxes and duties on the portion over $10k for any item they are importing (the first 10k is duty free).

Settlers don't have a per item limit.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GOGOGO said:
In addition to owning and using it, you also have to have possessed the item before moving. ;)

FWIW, the six month stipulation is also waived for
- returning Canadians who have been living abroad for 5+ years.
- replacements for goods destroyed in an unforeseeable event and replaced with similarly valued items are also exempt from the 6 month ownership, use, and possession requirement (hopefully this doesn't apply to anyone reading this - no fires or accidents, please!)
- bride's trusseau's - if you get married within three months of moving (before or after), wedding gifts don't have to have been used, although they still need to have been owned and possessed by you before immigrating.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tavora said:
I also want to say thanks to OhCanadiana for putting this all together -- it's very useful information. We haven't filed our application yet, but will be doing so soon. I appreciate your hard work compiling everything!

My pleasure :)

Sunshine87 said:
Hey all!

I've avoided the big Buffalo thread because it was a little daunting at 700+ pages.. but catching up on 7 pages here seemed a little easier to bite off :)

I was REALLY freaked out when I heard about Buffalo closing. I had this idea in my head that the processing times would skyrocket and I'd further lose my mind due to stress and anxiety. This thread is like a chill pill. I feel better already! :D

Welcome ... and excellent :)

humble01

Jan 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI, please I need an answer to this from anyone that has an idea

I understand that an applicant can apply outland from their country of residence (that is if they are admitted to that country for at least one year), moreover, what if the residency permit in my country of residence expires before I received my permanent residence or after CPC-M received my sponsorship application, is it going to be a problem?

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all for replying to my question regarding B4. You ppl are doing an awesome job.

I recently renewed my driver license to my new address in US.
I think i sent a copy of my driver license to CIC when I sent my PR application to them. Now that i have renewed the address on driver license do i need to send a copy of the new driver license to CIC? (BTW i had notified of the address change to CIC when i changed to my new place a few months ago but hadn't made the change on my Driver License).

Thanks.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leodr said:
Thank you all for replying to my question regarding B4. You ppl are doing an awesome job.

I recently renewed my driver license to my new address in US.
I think i sent a copy of my driver license to CIC when I sent my PR application to them. Now that i have renewed the address on driver license do i need to send a copy of the new driver license to CIC? (BTW i had notified of the address change to CIC when i changed to my new place a few months ago but hadn't made the change on my Driver License).

Thanks.
You're welcome :)

I wouldn't bother sending an updated copy of your new DL (assuming you submitted it as proof of sharing an address as part of proof of relationship so the fact that you updated it is not material to your application). Your address is, but you've updated that already.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
At the time when the application is submitted, the primary applicant has to be lawfully admitted to the country he/she resides for at least 1 year.

You can take a look at the following thread.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/lawful-admission-policy-for-pr-applications-t98817.0.html

humble01 said:

I understand that an applicant can apply outland from their country of residence (that is if they are admitted to that country for at least one year), moreover, what if the residency permit in my country of residence expires before I received my permanent residence or after CPC-M received my sponsorship application, is it going to be a problem?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humble01 said:

CIC would still allow you to apply based on your country of residency. HOWEVER, if may become a problem if you get called for an interview and can't get a tourist visa to attend the interview (you moving is not a sufficient reason for CIC to change visa offices) or if you need to mail your passport and are located in a country that won't allow you to do that and can't fly back to your country of prior residency.

humble01

Jan 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ ohcanadiana and gogogo, Thank you very much. i really appreciate your answers.

I need a clarification, based on the info given in the link pasted by gogogo. If i apply through my country of residence that I have legal status, must I be physically present in my country of residence when the PR application would be sent to CPC-M?

I was thinking of applying outland when I would be in Canada, then wait it out probably in Canada or return back to my country of residence. but of course, the outland PR application will be sent when i am in Canada. does it go against the rules?

thanks once again