UPFRONT: 09/30/16. Meds Passed: 12/06/16
Passport Req..
11/22/2017
VISA ISSUED...
12/01/2017
LANDED..........
12/23/2017
TN_Hibee said:
I did mine as the principle applicant and it works. Not sure about the other way around though.
Thank you! I have another question. How would I check the status of my application (the sponsor)?

TN_Hibee

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2016
AOR Received.
18-11-2016
File Transfer...
25-11-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
anyone have experience renewing their US passport while in Canada by mail? i know i can go to the embassy, however the website suggests those in canada can also do it by mail. looking for insight from those who have done it. is it really as simple as sending it in the mail per usual?
I did mine by mail from Germany and it was pretty straightforward. I don't recall the exact steps but I remember it being pretty easy. I sent mine by registered post but they will send it back to you via regular unsecured, snail mail when they are done.

tigermilo said:
Thank you! I have another question. How would I check the status of my application (the sponsor)?
You mean apart from linking your application on mycic? You can check the sponsor side on ECAS
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
Hey all - I'm coming here to hopefully get some clarification.

I'm an American in process for an Outbound PR app (currently in Canada on Visitor status), my sponsor has been approved..... meds/background check all done up front. CIC officer on the phone said nothing else was currently requested on the file.

So my question - What happens next? I've been waiting for this step in the process for a year getting the app together... but I'm not sure what happens next!

Does my part of the app now go to Buffalo, NY? And if so, what do they do with it there?? What is the process if I submitted everything up front?

Any help from your experience at this point in the process would be so appreciated.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
BrookeTravels said:

I'm an American in process for an Outbound PR app (currently in Canada on Visitor status), my sponsor has been approved..... meds/background check all done up front. CIC officer on the phone said nothing else was currently requested on the file.

So my question - What happens next? I've been waiting for this step in the process for a year getting the app together... but I'm not sure what happens next!

Does my part of the app now go to Buffalo, NY? And if so, what do they do with it there?? What is the process if I submitted everything up front?

Any help from your experience at this point in the process would be so appreciated.
hi,
after sponsor approval, the application is forwarded to Ottawa for processing (this should have been listed in the sponsor approval letter received). Buffalo, NY does not process applications anymore, so i'm not sure where you're getting that information. When you say the CIC officer on the phone, do you mean someone at the call center or did they specifically call you?

Once the application is sent to ottawa, it sits in qeue until it is picked up for processing. at that point, cic will either request more documents, request an interview (highly doubtful) or start finalizing the app for approval. once it's ready for approval, you may get a passport request, which means you need to send a copy of your passport to cic. not all applicants get this. After the passport request, cic will finalize the visa and snail mail the approval form known as the Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) to your address listed in the application. This is what you will use to land.

The current processing "trend" for us citizens is approval in 4.5-6 months total time from the application submission date listed on the acknowledgement of receipt (AOR).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BrookeTravels said:

Wait...what do you mean by this:
"I've been waiting for this step in the process for a year getting the app together... but I'm not sure what happens next!"

You did send everything together, so...what does "getting the app together" [now] mean?

Assuming you did send everything together:
Only those applications with `issues', like red flags, end up in NY. Most Americans are processed in Ottawa, so...you might receive your almighty DM (Decision Made) email any day now. ;)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Ponga said:
Only those applications with `issues', like red flags, end up in NY. Most Americans are processed in Ottawa, so...you might receive your almighty DM (Decision Made) email any day now. ;)
files with red flags that need interviews go to LA, not NY. Buffalo NY does not process applications (in fact i believe that office was closed years ago). NYC also does not process any sponsorship applications. all interviews are held in LA.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CDNPR2014 said:
files with red flags that need interviews go to LA, not NY. Buffalo NY does not process applications (in fact i believe that office was closed years ago). NYC also does not process any sponsorship applications. all interviews are held in LA.
Ooops...I should have remembered that. :-\

+1

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
Ponga said:
Wait...what do you mean by this:
"I've been waiting for this step in the process for a year getting the app together... but I'm not sure what happens next!"

You did send everything together, so...what does "getting the app together" [now] mean?

Assuming you did send everything together:
Hey , the process of getting to the place we were in October to mail the application took us about a year. Personal situations delayed it (none of them bad, just life things), and I did my medical and FBI background check, and sent everything up front. This includes proof of our relationship, wedding photos, letters from friends and family, etc. :) Getting all that together took us longer than expected, but it's wonderful to finally be here.

About NY. A friend of mine who went through PR a few years ago mentioned it may go back to the US for processing, so that's where I got that from. I'm thankful it'll stay in Ottawa unless something unforeseen happens.

:) here is to a quick final process!

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
CDNPR2014 said:
hi,
after sponsor approval, the application is forwarded to Ottawa for processing (this should have been listed in the sponsor approval letter received). Buffalo, NY does not process applications anymore, so i'm not sure where you're getting that information. When you say the CIC officer on the phone, do you mean someone at the call center or did they specifically call you?

Once the application is sent to ottawa, it sits in qeue until it is picked up for processing. at that point, cic will either request more documents, request an interview (highly doubtful) or start finalizing the app for approval. once it's ready for approval, you may get a passport request, which means you need to send a copy of your passport to cic. not all applicants get this. After the passport request, cic will finalize the visa and snail mail the approval form known as the Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) to your address listed in the application. This is what you will use to land.

The current processing "trend" for us citizens is approval in 4.5-6 months total time from the application submission date listed on the acknowledgement of receipt (AOR).
Thank you for the details, I appreciate you helping me sort through the remaining process.

I spoke with a CIC officer on the phone after we didn't get any emails (I confirmed they are on file correctly) yet, and they told me the AOR was Nov 10, and my SA happened literally this morning! :)

He said they'll send out an email/letter to confirm in the next 3-10 days. I hadn't read of this happening to anyone else who recently applied (Sept/Oct), so I wonder if we were just unlucky. She said they have started sending AOR and SA in one email/letter. She also mentioned I passed my medical.

Regardless, I'll be looking for that email so we can officially link the app online. For now, it hasn't worked no matter what we try. They said give it a few more days.

Cheers.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Have you checked your spam folder?

BrookeTravels

Star Member
Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2016
AOR Received.
10-11-2016
File Transfer...
30-11-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront - Passed
Med's Done....
22-06-2016
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
DM 3-3-17!
Aquakitty said:
Have you checked your spam folder?
Very much so.... almost religiously lol. We are both very tech savvy and hoping we can get over this hurdle of connecting the app online. I called back again today and finally got the official application number, so I'll try that too in a few days :)

ryanntheredhead

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Doc's Request.
29-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
(Decision Made) 06-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2016
LANDED..........
17-10-2016
Hi guys,

I recently flew back into Canada after US Thanksgiving with just my COPR and passport, and had no problems at all. I told them I hadn't received my PR card in the mail yet and they let me right in. But today, I got an email from IRCC stating this, among other things, "Our records show that you may be a permanent resident (PR) of Canada. This email is a reminder that you must present your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada".

Obviously, I'm not worried about anything having gone wrong, I'm just wondering if this is standard if you cross without a PR card or if it's an automated message for any new PR. It seemed a bit snarky to me ;) And funny enough, my PR card came in the mail the day after I got home from the US.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ryanntheredhead said:
Hi guys,

I recently flew back into Canada after US Thanksgiving with just my COPR and passport, and had no problems at all. I told them I hadn't received my PR card in the mail yet and they let me right in. But today, I got an email from IRCC stating this, among other things, "Our records show that you may be a permanent resident (PR) of Canada. This email is a reminder that you must present your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada".

Obviously, I'm not worried about anything having gone wrong, I'm just wondering if this is standard if you cross without a PR card or if it's an automated message for any new PR. It seemed a bit snarky to me ;) And funny enough, my PR card came in the mail the day after I got home from the US.
perhaps this is specific to flying. i cross by land, and didn't get anything like this when i didnt' have my pr card. interesting to see how they are tracking things...

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
ECAS DM: 02/07/2017 PPR: 02/15/2017
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
ryanntheredhead said:
Hi guys,

You're allowed to land cross with just your passport and COPR, but any commercial traveling, must be done with a PR card(including if you're land crossing by a commercial bus). Very surprised they let you board the plane with no issues, lucky you!!

ryanntheredhead

Star Member
Feb 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2016
Doc's Request.
29-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-06-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
(Decision Made) 06-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-10-2016
LANDED..........
17-10-2016
eaforster said:
You're allowed to land cross with just your passport and COPR, but any commercial traveling, must be done with a PR card(including if you're land crossing by a commercial bus). Very surprised they let you board the plane with no issues, lucky you!!
I boarded in Philly where they just checked my passport. I didn't show them my CoPR, I didn't think they needed to see it. It was just an airport worker checking passports. The first border agent to check my passport was in the Halifax airport where I landed and he didn't seem to care at all. But really, at that point, his only option would have been to turn me around and send me back to the US when I legally had every right to be in Canada as a PR or even just as a US visitor. Right?!?