+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

Klystomane

Feb 5, 2013
Aquakitty said:
Yea you are correct, but they worded it like the spouse alone was in the US and the husband in Canada.

Even if you live with your spouse outside Canada, during the process you still have to show you plan to relocate to Canada upon receipt of the PR. It's not a problem once you have the PR, as long as you have proof you were living with your spouse outside the country for the required time period.
Got it. I believe entry/exit stamps on both passports should suffice.

azeemguy

Jul 29, 2012
Hello All,

Posting my question here as I didn't get much reply here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/questions-regarding-dependent-under-19-eligibility-and-joint-custody-t431276.0.html

I have a question that I need clarification. My wife is a US citizen living in the US with her daughter (my step daughter). I want to sponsor my wife and step daughter who just turned 18.

Now, I have a couple of questions ...

1) According to CIC dependent definition I am ok as long as my the time of submission the dependent is under 19 ... so I am I safe to sponsor my step daughter ?

2) My wife had a joint custody and according to the final divorce certificate from US, the joint custody and child support was good until my step daughter had turned 18. So only submitting the copy of divorce decree good enough to prove that my step daughter is free to move to Canada ? I was also reading about "Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada (IMM 5604)" but I think that is for minor ... any comments ?

I would greatly appreciate some/any feedback!

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
I sent an email to Ottawa VO on the 24th asking about the letter and haven't heard back - I know they can take 20 business days to respond.

I just sent another email updating my address to my parent's nice, normal street address and requested that they resend the letter to that address.

I mean, do I even need the COPR? I thought I read that someone got theirs reprinted at the border.

Its now 4 weeks since DM. I've seen so many people get their COPR since getting DM after me. I have to think it is lost in the mail because of the way CIC listed our address. This is frustrating.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ktorva said:
I sent an email to Ottawa VO on the 24th asking about the letter and haven't heard back - I know they can take 20 business days to respond.

I just sent another email updating my address to my parent's nice, normal street address and requested that they resend the letter to that address.

I mean, do I even need the COPR? I thought I read that someone got theirs reprinted at the border.

Its now 4 weeks since DM. I've seen so many people get their COPR since getting DM after me. I have to think it is lost in the mail because of the way CIC listed our address. This is frustrating.
yes, you need a COPR. don't count on CBSA being able to print it out for you. if you haven't received it by now, then you need to contact CIC by a case specific inquiry.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
yes, you need a COPR. don't count on CBSA being able to print it out for you. if you haven't received it by now, then you need to contact CIC by a case specific inquiry.
Thanks CDNPR2014, I did that last week too and haven't heard from them yet.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
azeemguy said:
Hello All,

Posting my question here as I didn't get much reply here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/questions-regarding-dependent-under-19-eligibility-and-joint-custody-t431276.0.html

I have a question that I need clarification. My wife is a US citizen living in the US with her daughter (my step daughter). I want to sponsor my wife and step daughter who just turned 18.

Now, I have a couple of questions ...

1) According to CIC dependent definition I am ok as long as my the time of submission the dependent is under 19 ... so I am I safe to sponsor my step daughter ?

2) My wife had a joint custody and according to the final divorce certificate from US, the joint custody and child support was good until my step daughter had turned 18. So only submitting the copy of divorce decree good enough to prove that my step daughter is free to move to Canada ? I was also reading about "Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada (IMM 5604)" but I think that is for minor ... any comments ?

I would greatly appreciate some/any feedback!
18 is the age of majority, so when you sponsor her you need the adult requirements, such as a police certificate and a background declaration, and she signs her own forms instead of you doing it for her. You'd probably also need the "use of representative" form so you can do the checking/talking for her.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
Just bumping this thread above the spam.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
Ok, I need some help please.
I made a CSE on the 24th of June. Then, on the 30th, because I haven't received anything and am moving in with my parents now, I sent them a change of address email. In my email I told them again that I still haven't received anything from them regarding the decision they made.

I received this email today:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your application has been finalized and your passport was returned to you on 2016/06/02 via mail at (address).

Your documents have been returned using the provided prepaid envelope you provided.

Please note that you address has now been changed.

We appreciate your patience and keeping the correspondence with our office to a minimum. In order to process request efficiently, we will not be responding to duplicate requests.

... I didn't send a prepaid envelope or my passport (thankful that I didn't!) and they don't seem to have read the part where I didn't receive anything.

I responded to the email and explained again that I haven't received anything, told them I didn't send a prepaid envelope or my passport and to please resend documentation to the new address.

is that the right thing to do (reply to their email) - or do I need to do another CSE? Thank you for your help. I just want to get my Copr.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ktorva said:
Ok, I need some help please.
I made a CSE on the 24th of June. Then, on the 30th, because I haven't received anything and am moving in with my parents now, I sent them a change of address email. In my email I told them again that I still haven't received anything from them regarding the decision they made.

I received this email today:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your application has been finalized and your passport was returned to you on 2016/06/02 via mail at (address).

Your documents have been returned using the provided prepaid envelope you provided.

Please note that you address has now been changed.

We appreciate your patience and keeping the correspondence with our office to a minimum. In order to process request efficiently, we will not be responding to duplicate requests.

... I didn't send a prepaid envelope or my passport (thankful that I didn't!) and they don't seem to have read the part where I didn't receive anything.

I responded to the email and explained again that I haven't received anything, told them I didn't send a prepaid envelope or my passport and to please resend documentation to the new address.

is that the right thing to do (reply to their email) - or do I need to do another CSE? Thank you for your help. I just want to get my Copr.
have you checked the mail at the location listed in your application? if it's lost in the mail, you will have to get a new one issued by cic. send another case specific inquiry, and if that doesn't work contact the sponsor's MP for help. you might be able to call the cbsa office you plan to land at to see if they can print one off for you.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
have you checked the mail at the location listed in your application? if it's lost in the mail, you will have to get a new one issued by cic. send another case specific inquiry, and if that doesn't work contact the sponsor's MP for help. you might be able to call the cbsa office you plan to land at to see if they can print one off for you.
Thanks - I have been checking the mail at the previous location all along, yes. So I should send a new CSE instead of just the reply to their email?
My husband is still in the US with me - would he have an MP?
I think CBSA is a good idea. I am driving my husband to Canada with some of his stuff next month. I am not landing, I am returning to the US for a few months and then coming up to land. Perhaps while driving him across the border they can help us out by printing that.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ktorva said:
Thanks - I have been checking the mail at the previous location all along, yes. So I should send a new CSE instead of just the reply to their email?
I would do both

ktorva said:
My husband is still in the US with me - would he have an MP?
does he have family in canada? try contacting their mp if you know you'll be settling in the same area.

ktorva said:
I think CBSA is a good idea. I am driving my husband to Canada with some of his stuff next month. I am not landing, I am returning to the US for a few months and then coming up to land. Perhaps while driving him across the border they can help us out by printing that.
it's definitely worth a shot asking. if you haven't received it by then, tell them the issue and they may be able to help. you'd have to go into secondary to do this.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will do both. and we will be living close to my mother in law, so I can always get her MP involved. I think I'll try CBPA first though. We'll be going into secondary anyway as my husband has to declare his goods after living in the US etc.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ktorva said:
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will do both. and we will be living close to my mother in law, so I can always get her MP involved. I think I'll try CBPA first though. We'll be going into secondary anyway as my husband has to declare his goods after living in the US etc.
your mother in law will probably need to call, and they will probably have you sign some authorization form, if they are willing to help.

ktorva

Star Member
Nov 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Mar 2016
Doc's Request.
27 Apr 2016
AOR Received.
08 Apr 2016
File Transfer...
21 Apr 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07 Mar 2016
Interview........
DM 04 June 2016

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
If CBSA cannot help, you may also try applying for a replacement of the document. Lost mail happens rarely, so I'm not sure if any users still here have had to go via this route.

I am not landing, I am returning to the US for a few months and then coming up to land.
Keep in mind that the CoPR is only valid for a fixed amount of time. This is most commonly until the immigration medicals expire, but it has been known to vary. "A few months" shouldn't be too long, once you get the CoPR.