Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
hobbes23 said:
OK, thanks for that info.

On this last page of this thread, it said that the Conditional PR approval for spouses makes it so that days living together outside of Canada don't count towards PR requirements. I haven't seen this anywhere on the CIC. Is that true or not?
I did not read that anywhere. Where did you read this? The only post that even touches the subject was on from rhcohen2014 who said that time spent apart from your citizen spouse while living outside Canada does not count. I haven't read anything about time spent together outside Canada not counting.

NYC2CANADA

Star Member
Sep 7, 2014
Rochester
Category........
Visa Office......
Otawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
20-10-2015
Hello: I am US Citizen planing to move and live with my future wife in Canada. She has PR in Ontario.
1.- I posted some questions, without seen this thread. BUt I am seeing that US citizen looking for PR in Toronto, it is better to apply outland via Ottawa. and there is some cases that It will take about 5 months to get the PR. ( average).
Please confirm , if that is the case? any experiences from anyone? Also, I Can I visit my Wife during the period of time that I am waiting for the PR?
Any checklist that can be provieded to have the paperwork ready? appreciated it!!!

Thansk!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
NYC2CANADA said:
Hello: I am US Citizen planing to move and live with my future wife in Canada. She has PR in Ontario.
1.- I posted some questions, without seen this thread. BUt I am seeing that US citizen looking for PR in Toronto, it is better to apply outland via Ottawa. and there is some cases that It will take about 5 months to get the PR. ( average).
Please confirm , if that is the case? any experiences from anyone? Also, I Can I visit my Wife during the period of time that I am waiting for the PR?
Any checklist that can be provieded to have the paperwork ready? appreciated it!!!

Thansk!
Form US citizens, OUTLAND all the way. Check out jjoon. 2.5 months from application submission to getting her landing papers:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.0.html;msg3472250#msg3472250

Alibali25 was around 3 months:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t193926.0.html;msg3392580#msg3392580

JessNess and rhcohen2014 were around the 4 months mark:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.0.html;msg3383178#msg3383178
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.0.html;msg3386000#msg3386000

Recent timelines for married US citizens who provide a complete application (nothing missing) and pay all fees up front have been lightning:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq6VF-LGjkR9dGNpLUxQZ1Z0Mm80aE5ZWDBvWklEQUE#gid=0

And yes, you can visit your wife in Canada while your outland application is in process.

NYC2CANADA

Star Member
Sep 7, 2014
Rochester
Category........
Visa Office......
Otawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
20-10-2015
Thanks!!! @keesio.....
One more thing, there is a list of forms, requirements and fees aroud this forum? for outland spousal?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
check out:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

It should have all the links you need

NYC2CANADA

Star Member
Sep 7, 2014
Rochester
Category........
Visa Office......
Otawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
20-10-2015
Have anyone have an outline of how to create the "book of proof" seen people saying about photos, what else? bank statements? anything else?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
NYC2CANADA said:
Have anyone have an outline of how to create the "book of proof" seen people saying about photos, what else? bank statements? anything else?
There is an entire long thread on just that:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t92449.0.html

Another single post but a good one:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t232046.0.html

There are many more floating around on this forum

Note that some people collect a ton of evidence... sometimes on the excessive side. How much you need depends on how many "red flags" your application has. Note that Canadian/American couples tend to get a lot of leeway here, their relationships are arguably the least scrutinized of the bunch. So you don't need to go overboard with 100s of photos and e-mail printouts. Focus on quality, not quantity.

Phett001

Aug 29, 2014
kittyandpipit said:
I agree...it is good to know there are more people out there waiting...

What about the medicals, did you guys have to redo them or were they extended...or do you not know?

I had my medical exam in January 2013. The office did not give me anything from the exam. They said they send the medicals to Canada from their office...it sounded very sketchy...but it says they received them. I was wondering if they can expire since they are only good for one year, but they haven't said anything to me about renewing them...

Phett001

Aug 29, 2014
keesio said:
Sorry to hear for the transfer. I'm afraid applications transferred to LA/NY have a very long timeline. They are for applications from the US which have big "red flags". It is 99.9999% likely that your big red flag is applying as conjugal. It is very very difficult to apply under conjugal, especially from a developed western country and most especially from the USA.
Our application has a red flag probably because I have a careless driving ticket from 2009. It is the ONLY ticket I have ever had...and they have already requested the court documents related to it.

Also, the following are sections of the email they sent asking for more proof of relationship:

I have reviewed your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class. I have concerns that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

I am not satisfied that you and your sponsor have maintained a conjugal relationship for at least one year as per section 2 of the Regulations. Canadian courts have set out the generally accepted characteristics of a conjugal relationship.

In addition, you did not submit evidence of cohabitation to meet the definition of common-law partner. As you have not provided any evidence of an impediment to marriage or cohabitation in a common-law relationship, which are both legally recognized in Canada for the purpose of federal benefits and obligations and are provided for in the Act, I am not satisfied that you and your sponsor have the significant degree of commitment characteristic of a conjugal relationship.

The onus is on you to satisfy me that a permanent resident visa can be issued to you. I would therefore request that you send any information or documents which you consider might respond to this concern within sixty (60) days.

The way this person states it, it sounds like even though we applied by conjugal, they may approve it based on common-law definitions? We have been living together for over a year now... The email was very long and only regarded us meeting the requirements from our relationship. There was only one sentence in the whole email asking for the court documents related to the charge on my background check. Maybe they aren't that worried about the ticket?

Has anyone heard of them approving an application like that?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Phett001 said:
Our application has a red flag probably because I have a careless driving ticket from 2009. It is the ONLY ticket I have ever had...and they have already requested the court documents related to it.

Also, the following are sections of the email they sent asking for more proof of relationship:

I have reviewed your application for a permanent resident visa as a member of the family class. I have concerns that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

I am not satisfied that you and your sponsor have maintained a conjugal relationship for at least one year as per section 2 of the Regulations. Canadian courts have set out the generally accepted characteristics of a conjugal relationship.

In addition, you did not submit evidence of cohabitation to meet the definition of common-law partner. As you have not provided any evidence of an impediment to marriage or cohabitation in a common-law relationship, which are both legally recognized in Canada for the purpose of federal benefits and obligations and are provided for in the Act, I am not satisfied that you and your sponsor have the significant degree of commitment characteristic of a conjugal relationship.

The onus is on you to satisfy me that a permanent resident visa can be issued to you. I would therefore request that you send any information or documents which you consider might respond to this concern within sixty (60) days.

The way this person states it, it sounds like even though we applied by conjugal, they may approve it based on common-law definitions? We have been living together for over a year now... The email was very long and only regarded us meeting the requirements from our relationship. There was only one sentence in the whole email asking for the court documents related to the charge on my background check. Maybe they aren't that worried about the ticket?

Did you meet the definition of common law at the time you filed the application? That would be 1 full year (365) days of living together in the same home in a marriage like relationship.

If you did not and you filed your application under conjugal, I can say with 99.99999% certainty you will be denied your PR and will have to reapply again if you now meet the definition of common law.

adirai

Star Member
Jul 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 4th, 2014
AOR Received.
SA: 25-02-2015 / AOR 2: April 10th 2015
File Transfer...
Feb 25 2015 ---- FILE IN PROCESS APRIL 7TH 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Reccomended in Notes
I have a general question for anyone who can answer. If anyone wants to read my previous posts as it may help in answering the question please do. I am a Canadian citizen and wife is on EAD in US for 14 years now. Our file was transferred from ottawa to LA on june 26th. We got scheduled for interview on oct 1st. My question is, if they approve us right there....when would they give the visa and copr or if they ask for passport when do they usually return it by....also her medicals expire last week of november. What would make sense out of this situation?

Thanks

hobbes23

Oct 27, 2013
keesio said:
I did not read that anywhere. Where did you read this? The only post that even touches the subject was on from rhcohen2014 who said that time spent apart from your citizen spouse while living outside Canada does not count. I haven't read anything about time spent together outside Canada not counting.
Good. I re-read the post and realized that I had misread it, as you say.

michellestella

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa --> Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2013
Doc's Request.
27-01-2014
AOR Received.
25-06-2013, sponsorship approved 08-07-2013
File Transfer...
13-03-2014 transferred to LA
Interview........
04-09-2014
Passport Req..
24-09-2014, decision made 08-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014, arrived 14-11-2014
LANDED..........
14-11-2014
Phett001 said:

Your flag is the conjugal relationship application. They seem to be automatic flags for any US applicant. Your situation sounds like mine and my husband's, we just had our interview in LA last week. We applied as conjugal but got married this past June, and this was enough for the visa officer to approve us, though she did give us a bit of a hard time in the beginning of the interview, we just produced the printout from the OP manual that says the officer should convert the file type and keep processing once there's a change in marital status. That threw her for a bit of a loop, she was surprised that we found the information online and didn't expect us to have known about their own rules! There was another couple there that had their interview the same day as we did had that applied as conjugal but were also eligible for common-law (though I'm not sure if they reached common-law status before or after they applied, I believe it was after), and they were approved as well. Now I'm not saying that it's a breeze or that it works out for everyone, but it is possible to make a conjugal application work out in the end. It's not as hopelessly dire as many people on here make it seem, certainly not at a 99.99 however many 9s you feel like adding percent chance of rejection.

Request your GCMS notes, get a feeling on where you stand, and prepare yourself for the interview (if your file's in LA, you are likely getting scheduled for one). Bring a (well-organized) overabundance of proof, and arm yourself with your best weapon, information. Be straightforward and honest and you may have a chance to make this work. We also chose conjugal because we didn't know any better at the time. It's the more difficult path to PR, but you can still get there.

NYC2CANADA

Star Member
Sep 7, 2014
Rochester
Category........
Visa Office......
Otawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
05-06-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
LANDED..........
20-10-2015
Hello: it is my with more questions

Having the package ready ( not yet, bu in case of), where to send it? TO ottawa? Missisaauga?

US Citizen being sponsored by Canadian Wife ( PR)

Yaak

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Salt Spring Island, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Doc's Request.
26-08-2014
AOR Received.
SA 01-08-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
NYC2CANADA said:
Hello: it is my with more questions

Having the package ready ( not yet, bu in case of), where to send it? TO ottawa? Missisaauga?

US Citizen being sponsored by Canadian Wife ( PR)
Check the country specific instructions for address details. Outland US applications are sent to Mississauga for stage 1 (sponsor) approval, then forwarded by CIC to Ottawa for stage 2 (applicant) approval.