+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US J-1 visa "two year rule" issue

xmynancy

Apr 12, 2012
Dear all, I have an urgent question about my background which I just realize.
My husband is sponsoring me and our case is currently in process in Ottawa right now. I'm originally from China and currently holding a student visa in US. I had a J-1 student visa to US for internship 4 years ago, and it says on my visa "two-year rule apply". Do I need to get a waiver on this to be eligible to immigrate to Canada? Because I know that if immigrate to US requires a waiver if not staying in the home country for two years after the J-1 visa. Anyone who has an idea please reply.

Thanks a looooooooot!!!!!

Midwest

Star Member
Aug 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-26-2012
File Transfer...
09-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-04-2012
Passport Req..
02-05-2013
You do not need US J-1 waiver to immigrate to Canada. However, I am not sure if US part will be satisfied with 2 YHRR (in case you want to go back to US to work or study). Otherwise, you ok. You can immigrate to Canada and visit US as a tourist.

xmynancy

Apr 12, 2012
Midwest said:
You do not need US J-1 waiver to immigrate to Canada. However, I am not sure if US part will be satisfied with 2 YHRR (in case you want to go back to US to work or study). Otherwise, you ok. You can immigrate to Canada and visit US as a tourist.
Thanks Midwest! Glad to hear that. My friend who is immigrating to US had this issue. I was worried if I also need to concern about this. :)