+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US GC while living in Canada as a PR?

Abcx

May 23, 2018
Hello,

Does anyone here have any experience on maintaining a US GC while living in Canada to fulfill the Canadian PR and citizenship residency requirements?

My situation is that I am currently in the US with a US EB2/3 GC priority date of Sept 2012, which it looks increasingly likely will be current for ‘Final Action’ either this fiscal year (ending September) or at the latest by end of the next fiscal year thanks to all the Covid-induced spillover from unused family based GCs (I have well-informed sources for this PD movement I can share if anyone is curious). I have my Canadian PR with 3.5 years left to go since soft landing for me to fulfill my residency obligation there. So far I have not done a single day.

Ideally I would like to get both the US GC and become a Canadian citizen. For the purposes of this post, I am assuming I get the GC soon-ish (i.e. with enough time left on my Canadian PR to do 2 years there after briefly taking up the GC job in the US) and then I move to Canada to do the three years for citizenship.

From an immigration standpoint, my cursory reading suggests that keeping the GC alive is technically / legally possible by applying for a re-entry permit with USCIS which permits one to be overseas for two years at a time without re-entering the US on the GC. This permit can be extended up to 5 years, which in theory should give me 3 years to complete the Canadian citizenship requirement. In practice, I would visit the US a few times a year, but I believe just visiting occasionally is technically not sufficient to keep the GC alive, especially if you have taken up PR elsewhere, and a sharp CBP officer can send you to an immigration judge to determine whether your GC should be revoked. The re-entry permit supposedly gets around this by certifying your intent to maintain your US PR/GC despite the long absences from the US. (That said, I believe this is not a slam dunk either, as USCIS can still make a qualitative judgment that you have abandoned your PR intentions and/or they can reject your re-entry permit application if you say something like ‘completing Canadian PR requirements’. The risk seems low unless you list a stupid reason like Canadian PR, but it does seem possible from what I’ve read, especially if you don’t have a home in the US or a US based job.)

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to keep the GC alive from an immigration standpoint?

My second question concerns taxes. My reading suggests a US GC holder and Canadian PR living in Canada, as I would be, has to file as a tax resident in both countries. As it stands, I would be working for a US employer while in Canada but my US employer has no Canadian base. I can do that as an independent contractor based in Canada or as a US employee on US payroll working in Canada. Any thoughts on which is easier or better from a tax perspective?

I would also have large amounts of US source capital gains income as part of my job (much higher than wage income). Is anyone familiar with taxation on this as a dual resident? I came across this page which suggests that despite the tax treaty, I would be double taxed a US GC. If so, that would kind of make this idea of keeping both the GC and the Canadian citizenship a non-starter.

Up till now, I had resigned myself to moving to Canada since I figured I’d never get my GC any time soon. I never thought I’d be in this situation where I might have access to both Canada and the US! Leaving aside questions about which country is preferable, I’d really appreciate any and all thoughts on how to preserve both options. I am sure there are others in this situation / dilemma this year too!

P.S. - I realize the cleanest way is perhaps to defer the GC to after getting Canadian citizenship, but that may not be an option in my case due to employment reasons.

Edited to add: I am obviously seeking both professional legal and professional immigration advice also

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Something you should check - you can never have "3.5 years left to go since soft landing for me to fulfill my residency obligation". You have to make the permanent move to Canada no more than 3 years after soft landing or otherwise you will never make the 2 in 5 requirement. For Canadian citizenship you have to live in Canada for 3 years and then it takes 6months+ to actually get the citizenship (after application). Although, you may be able to move out after submitting the application (not 100% sure).
Also, US does not like you maintaining residency outside while you claim to be a US LPR (GC). They will flag you at POE's if you try to maintain both.

With careful planning it may be possible to have both the cakes, but I feel it is very difficult.

Abcx

May 23, 2018
Something you should check - you can never have "3.5 years left to go since soft landing for me to fulfill my residency obligation". You have to make the permanent move to Canada no more than 3 years after soft landing or otherwise you will never make the 2 in 5 requirement. For Canadian citizenship you have to live in Canada for 3 years and then it takes 6months+ to actually get the citizenship (after application). Although, you may be able to move out after submitting the application (not 100% sure).
Also, US does not like you maintaining residency outside while you claim to be a US LPR (GC). They will flag you at POE's if you try to maintain both.

With careful planning it may be possible to have both the cakes, but I feel it is very difficult.
I meant I have only used 1.5 years of my PR so far. So I have 3.5 years left to fulfill the 2 year residency obligation.

And my reading of the IRCC website is it is taking 1 year to process citizenship but you can leave after applying as long as you are in Canada for the oath and the test.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
This is something I have been pondering on as well as I'm in similar shoes. I have Canadian PR for almost 3 years and now coming up on Residency Obligation requiring me to move if I want to maintain my PR. Ideally, I do not want to give up my PR and instead would love to become Canadian citizen and if needed come back to US.

However, just like you I have PD of Jan 2012 and it is increasingly likely that it will become current in few months/less than a year. Meaning, either we have to accept it once it comes or permanently let it go after waiting for it for so long.

Based on my research on this issue, one creative way I think might work is for one to live in Windsor and do a job in US in Detroit or similar border community elsewhere by commuting into US.

US allows something called commuter GC meaning you can maintain your residence outside the US and commute into US for doing job and keep that GC active without actually making US your home. This should satisfy Canadian requirements because you will be going back home every night and thus completing required 3 year obligation for Citizenship while maintain GC by commuting in.

Only catch is, this time commuting into US is not counted towards 5 year residency requirement for Citizenship but that is one thing we can live without. Let me know what you find out and let's stay in touch.

Abcx

May 23, 2018
Yes, the commuter GC is another option I had come across. In my case, my US employer doesn't have a place of business near the border, so I'm not sure how I can justify that, but perhaps the CBP or USCIS wouldn't care if I just rented a small office near the border and visited it every now and then. And I still don't know how wages and capital gains will be taxed by either/both countries.

(Like you, I can live without the time counting towards US citizenship.)

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Yes, the commuter GC is another option I had come across. In my case, my US employer doesn't have a place of business near the border, so I'm not sure how I can justify that, but perhaps the CBP or USCIS wouldn't care if I just rented a small office near the border and visited it every now and then. And I still don't know how wages and capital gains will be taxed by either/both countries.

(Like you, I can live without the time counting towards US citizenship.)
I'm not sure renting a small office is a good idea, perhaps commuting weekly to your place of employment would satisfy their 'commute' requirement. Alternatively, changing employer itself might be a good option and try to get an employment in cross border towns on US side. This option strictly depends on the type of work you do and job opportunities there but perhaps something to consider.

Abcx

May 23, 2018
I'm not sure renting a small office is a good idea, perhaps commuting weekly to your place of employment would satisfy their 'commute' requirement. Alternatively, changing employer itself might be a good option and try to get an employment in cross border towns on US side. This option strictly depends on the type of work you do and job opportunities there but perhaps something to consider.
Yeah, this doesn't really work in my position or line of work, which is why I was considering the re-entry permit. I guess the other big question is how quickly USCIS will actually be able to process GCs even if visa numbers are available... that could go either way. The I485 processing times are up to like 50 months now!

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Yeah, this doesn't really work in my position or line of work, which is why I was considering the re-entry permit. I guess the other big question is how quickly USCIS will actually be able to process GCs even if visa numbers are available... that could go either way. The I485 processing times are up to like 50 months now!
If USCIS indeed takes 50 months to process 485s then we can safely say we'll not get the GC. The numbers expire at the end of the year and any extra numbers which USCIS doesnt issue before the fiscal year ends go into the wastebin of history. If that is indeed true, there is no point in hoping for US GC anytime soon and better plan accordingly.