+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US financed car- moving to Toronto temporarily on WP-Registration Issues?

Jan 15, 2012
Hi,

Great forum.

I am in California right now and am being transferred to Toronto on some work assignment next month. My intra-company transfer work permit is under process. I will be staying there for 8 months to a year. I plan on coming back after my assignment.

I would appreciate a few pointers:

1) I have a car financed from capital one till 2014. Can I drive my car to Toronto through the border without importing it?
2) Do I have to register my car in Toronto, Ontario? My title shows lien holder is Capital One.
3) Do I need to pay off my car for it to be registered in Ontario?
4) I have insurance from Farmers. Will it cover my stay in Canada?

Any help will be awesome.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

californiadash said:
Hi,

Great forum.

I am in California right now and am being transferred to Toronto on some work assignment next month. My intra-company transfer work permit is under process. I will be staying there for 8 months to a year. I plan on coming back after my assignment.

1) I have a car financed from capital one till 2014. Can I drive my car to Toronto through the border without importing it?
2) Do I have to register my car in Toronto, Ontario? My title shows lien holder is Capital One.

1. Yes, it will be allowed in temporarily to the end of your work permit, if less than 3 years.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Phone your insurance company, as you won't be importing your car, and you can't register it in Ontario, and if you can't register it in Ontario, you can't get insurance.

xsrevelo01

Apr 30, 2012
californiadash said:
Hi,

Great forum.

Hi californiadash,

I am moving to Toronto in July and I have the same questions you had a few months ago (It sounds like you are probably in Toronto by now). Have you had to register your car in Ontario? Have you kept your car insurance? Is Farmers covering you while you are there?

Thank you.