+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Embassy in Toronto - US visa appnts

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Yes i did, called and emailed , they said they don’t have access to consular section and I should just wait to get my passport back.
My wife applied for her B1/B2 renewal via mail - application recd Apr 29 - no update after that. I emailed and got the same response as above. Anyone who had theirs processed perhaps they can advise application date - then we can at least have an idea what date applications are being processed - it is like a black hole now - no idea how long to get the passport

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Hi everyone, I have an urgent question. I had submitted my passport and documents to the US embassy in Ottawa a few weeks ago (as part of the dropbox/interview waiver eligibility category) and have not seen any progress so far. Now I have to urgently travel abroad to another country in the coming weeks. Can I ask the embassy to return my passport and allow me to re-submit once I return? If so, what is the appropriate contact for reaching out? Thank you.
As per US embassy website - if you ask for passport back for urgent travel, it will be returned without visa and you cannot resubmit - you have to go via the interview apointment route

Interview Waiver processing takes approximately four to six weeks from the time the application arrives in the Consular Section. Processing times vary and may exceed this timeframe due to staffing and incoming workload. Please plan accordingly. While the Consular Section is processing your Interview Waiver application you will not have access to your passport and will not be able to engage in international travel. If you request return of your passport prior to the completion of Interview Waiver processing, the Consular Section will not issue your visa prior to returning your passport. Following your emergency travel, you may continue with your visa application by scheduling an in-person appointment. Visa appointment wait times in Canada currently exceed one year in most visa classifications.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-renewal-by-mail/

niswe

Apr 5, 2017
As per US embassy website - if you ask for passport back for urgent travel, it will be returned without visa and you cannot resubmit - you have to go via the interview apointment route

Interview Waiver processing takes approximately four to six weeks from the time the application arrives in the Consular Section. Processing times vary and may exceed this timeframe due to staffing and incoming workload. Please plan accordingly. While the Consular Section is processing your Interview Waiver application you will not have access to your passport and will not be able to engage in international travel. If you request return of your passport prior to the completion of Interview Waiver processing, the Consular Section will not issue your visa prior to returning your passport. Following your emergency travel, you may continue with your visa application by scheduling an in-person appointment. Visa appointment wait times in Canada currently exceed one year in most visa classifications.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-renewal-by-mail/
Do you know how to request the passports back even without visa. At this point I just need my passports back for upcoming travel even if it means no visa..

Sheryar

Mar 5, 2012
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-june-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19- june-2012
Med's Request
13-july-2012
Med's Done....
19-July-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
By the Grace of Allah (24/8/2012)
LANDED..........
6 september 2012
I requested my passport back without visa as it was almost 8 weeks now.
Today i sent them a letter through canada post requesting passport back.

lets see how long it takes.

ticket booked for another for 1st july 2022

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Hope you get it back soon. It’s really strange why they cannot even say until which date it is processed. At least that will help get an idea. Even FBI PCC used to do that. Please update once you see any progress.

niswe

Apr 5, 2017
I requested my passport back without visa as it was almost 8 weeks now.
Today i sent them a letter through canada post requesting passport back.

lets see how long it takes.

ticket booked for another for 1st july 2022
what address did you send the letter?

Sheryar

Mar 5, 2012
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-june-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19- june-2012
Med's Request
13-july-2012
Med's Done....
19-July-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
By the Grace of Allah (24/8/2012)
LANDED..........
6 september 2012
what address did you send the letter?
Same address where i sent the documents.
Consular section toronto
Etc university ave

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
H1b Interview Experience:
Status in Canada : PR
Consulate : Ottawa
Date: June 16th 2022
Total time taken : 30 Minutes
Booked Slot: A year ago, had cancellations from their end, rescheduled 3 times( I know thats a long wait but a good News :) )

Not too many people at Consulate, seems like only limited services. There were 2 Visitor visas before me and next is me followed by a lady back of me waiting for her H4.

Firstly Interviewed by American lady Officer at Counter 6. All generic questions. Have been handed-over to a Indian lady Officer for document verification at Counter 5.

Indian Officer: Had asked every document starting from Old I-129s, Old 1797s and new petitions. University Grad docs, Tax returns, W2's, Client letter(I had no client letter but gave her Vendor letter and all the list what i took as supporting documents related to Client). She seems like working on all Dropbox files and asked one document after another and reviewed everything real quick. Then after Indian officer went backside and spoke to American officer and handed over my complete set of documents to her.
Then, American officer came to her system typed for a while and called me back to the counter and said Visa is Approved.
She told i should receive Visa within 2 weeks.

Happy to answer any questions. thanks.

Last edited:

stscorcher

Jun 9, 2022
my toronto timeline:

Dropbox
Embassy: Toronto
visa category: H1-B
Date Application Received: 28 April 2022

Day without an update: 50 days

ZERO UPDATES SINCE THEN!!!

jitheshani

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
my toronto timeline:

Dropbox
Embassy: Toronto
visa category: H1-B
Date Application Received: 28 April 2022

Day without an update: 50 days

ZERO UPDATES SINCE THEN!!!
This is disheartening. I have seen other threads where people from May 1st week got approved last week. What are they saying ?

stscorcher

Jun 9, 2022
This is disheartening. I have seen other threads where people from May 1st week got approved last week. What are they saying ?
when i call the helpline and / or email.. i get no response other than cant share visa specific information.... if you know an email other than aisops contact us address which I can use please do let me know!!! at my wits end here... thanks a lot!!