+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Doc on Canadian PR

ssr18

Jun 4, 2013
Hi there

I am a medical post grad in the US on a J1 visa. I am a Permanent resident in Canada. I met the 730 days obligation in Canada for the first 5 years. At that time I was back and forth between the States and Canada for Medical School.

However, For the last three years I have been permanently in the US for my post grad education. My PR expires in June 2014. I will return back to Canada permanently in August 2013 to start work. My main concern is if I go back five years I don't think I will make a 730 day obligation. I did drive across the border multiple weekends to visit family and friends and my parents and siblings are all citizens. My long term goal is to return to Canada and practise medicine.

My questions are:
The rolling 5 years would that be for me from June 2009 - June 2014 ?
and
Can I let my PR Card expire until I have enough days and then apply 4-6 months afterwards ?
Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The 5 years is either forwards from the date of your landing if you landed less than 5 years ago, or backwards from today (whenever today is at any point in time).
It is NOT related to any expiry date on your PR card. It's a common mistake to think that the date on the PR card is some sort of fixed temporal marker for residency obligations, but it really isn't. For example, you could have renewed your PR card last time having spent 1.5 years outside Canada at the END of that cards validity. Then, having renewed your card, spent the following 3 years outside. That would add up to 4.5 years outside in one block, and you would not meet the residency obligations.

ssr18

Jun 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the reply. This is my second PR card. I was denied citizenship before because I did not have enough days ( I was in the US for school ).

I did however have enough days to qualify for a second PR Card. That is how my family got citizenship and I did not. When I first entered Canada I was still a minor and my father entered on a work permit with our family.

So ......Just to clarify June 2014 is not a fixed marker for residency termination. So even if my card "expires" so to speak I can still apply for renewal say....November 2014. Just as long I have 730 days in 5 years at that given time ?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I really do appreciate it !

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That is correct. Just don't apply before you meet the requirements. It always leads to tears.