+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Travel After Oath

user321

Nov 11, 2022
I am a US citizen with lots of travel scheduled for the summer. I am waiting on my citizenship ceremony. I understand that after the ceremony, it takes a little while to get a citizenship certificate and then to apply for a Canadian passport.

If I were to fly to another country immediately after my citizenship ceremony, I understand that I could use my US passport for that (because I would be a dual citizen). The question is about re-entry into Canada. This link seems to indicate that as a US/Canadian citizen, I could enter the country without a Canadian passport: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Am I correct that I could re-enter Canada at an airport with only my US passport and Canadian drivers license? I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
The web link in your post said that, even though you don't need a Canadian passport if you have a US one, you "will need to carry identification that shows your Canadian citizenship". And Canadian DL is NOT citizenship certificate (unless it is an EDL) based on this link: Travel and identification documents for entering Canada (cbsa-asfc.gc.ca) . So based on the rule, you couldn't enter with those documents.

However, in real life, what I am hearing from CBSA is that, they have the citizenship information from IRCC. So as long as you have taken oath and IRCC has entered your information into their system, CBSA is able to verify. Perhaps the best way is to confirm your situation with CBSA on a phone call. I did my call before and they said land border wasn't an issue if I don't bring a citizenship certificate or passport. Just the signed oath form is good. Air travel might be different though.

Reactions: user321

user321

Nov 11, 2022
The web link in your post said that, even though you don't need a Canadian passport if you have a US one, you "will need to carry identification that shows your Canadian citizenship". And Canadian DL is NOT citizenship certificate (unless it is an EDL) based on this link: Travel and identification documents for entering Canada (cbsa-asfc.gc.ca) . So based on the rule, you couldn't enter with those documents.

However, in real life, what I am hearing from CBSA is that, they have the citizenship information from IRCC. So as long as you have taken oath and IRCC has entered your information into their system, CBSA is able to verify. Perhaps the best way is to confirm your situation with CBSA on a phone call. I did my call before and they said land border wasn't an issue if I don't bring a citizenship certificate or passport. Just the signed oath form is good. Air travel might be different though.
Thank you. The link says this, which made me think I could use my DL:

If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:
  • NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
Thank you. The link says this, which made me think I could use my DL:

If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:
  • NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory
Enhanced driver's license is not a regular DL. It has a machine readable chip and only issues to citizens.

user321

Nov 11, 2022
Enhanced driver's license is not a regular DL. It has a machine readable chip and only issues to citizens.
Oh, I had no idea. Thank you!

I have an interview to enroll for NEXUS next week, but I will still officially be a PR at that point. Hopefully that would count.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I am a US citizen with lots of travel scheduled for the summer. I am waiting on my citizenship ceremony. I understand that after the ceremony, it takes a little while to get a citizenship certificate and then to apply for a Canadian passport.

If I were to fly to another country immediately after my citizenship ceremony, I understand that I could use my US passport for that (because I would be a dual citizen). The question is about re-entry into Canada. This link seems to indicate that as a US/Canadian citizen, I could enter the country without a Canadian passport: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Am I correct that I could re-enter Canada at an airport with only my US passport and Canadian drivers license? I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dual US/Canada (and only US/Canada) citizens can enter Canada with US passport. Entering USA still requires a US passport for dual citizens of all varieties.

user321

Nov 11, 2022
I'm thinking that whenever I fly from the US to Canada, the airlines never asks to see anything besides my US passport. So I don't see why air travel would be more complicated in this situation. (Maybe I'm missing something?)

I appreciate the help!

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
I'm thinking that whenever I fly from the US to Canada, the airlines never asks to see anything besides my US passport. So I don't see why air travel would be more complicated in this situation. (Maybe I'm missing something?)

I appreciate the help!
From my understanding, air travel is more complicated, in the sense that you are on a commercial transportation, and not only the border agency will check your identity and documents, but the airline staff will also do. Airline and border agency has different requirements on documents. Maybe US passport is enough for airlines, and enough for border agency before you become a Canadian citizen, but it may be not for border agency after you become a citizen.

The good thing is, as long as you can board the plane and arrive at a Canadian airport, there's always more flexibility at the immigration gate (than in the departure airport).

Good luck with the NEXUS card!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I appreciate the help!
As US citizen, you will be able to board the plane w/o an issue, the requirement to show eg PR status does not apply.

At the border: they will look you up using whatever document. I'd suggest a photocopy of the PR card (with UCI# visible) and anything showing you applied for or completed the citizenship process - and then just tell them you're a citizen but haven't received the certificate etc yet.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Maybe US passport is enough for airlines, and enough for border agency before you become a Canadian citizen, but it may be not for border agency after you become a citizen.
-US passport is enough for airlines.
-At border, the CBSA must admit someone once satisfied the individual is a citizen. In practice, this means they look it up in their computers; it works a lot better if they have some id or documentation to provide the basis to identify and believe a person is what they say.

Or put slightly differently, they might get a bit annoyed if the individual has no documentation related to their claim to be citizen or PR, and that might make things take a bit longer. I think showing up at the port of entry (passport control at airport or land crossing) and explaining you just haven't received yet should be enough.

Reactions: user321 and Mounat

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Or put slightly differently, they might get a bit annoyed if the individual has no documentation related to their claim to be citizen or PR, and that might make things take a bit longer. I think showing up at the port of entry (passport control at airport or land crossing) and explaining you just haven't received yet should be enough.
Agreed. Though I always travel to Canada with a Canadian passport, I also carry my NEXUS card which also has a record of my Canadian citizenship. I actually don't remember the last time I had to produce my Canadian passport to CBSA. Only when the NEXUS lanes are closed or machines are acting up.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Agreed. Though I always travel to Canada with a Canadian passport, I also carry my NEXUS card which also has a record of my Canadian citizenship. I actually don't remember the last time I had to produce my Canadian passport to CBSA. Only when the NEXUS lanes are closed or machines are acting up.
It is a bit different with a nexus card, obviously, but yes.

The point I'd repeat: CBSA has an obligation to admit someone who is a Canadian citizen. Yes, they have to be 'satisfied' the individual is a citizen, but between computers and all that they do appear to take this seriously - they don't turn someone away who really does appear to be a citizen. Probably the most important part of that is establishing identity.

The rest really - being able to show you are a citizen, ideally with a valid passport - helps avoid delays or getting sent to secondary. They really prefer you have a passport. And computer glitches do happen, even if not that frequently.

For most though - esp non-US citizens - the real issue is being able to board the plane, and all other (non-US) dual nationalities may be refused boarding without the Canadian passport (because in principle they cannot get either a visa nor an ETA).

Reactions: Mounat and user321