+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen planning to visit Canada for 6 months

mcart

Jan 14, 2019
I was hoping some of the in-the-know folk on this forum could help me out.

I'm Canadian with US permanent residency, currently back in Canada temporarily on a short work term of 6 months, before planning to return to the US. My girlfriend (US citizen) is planning to come visit me for the several months while I am in Canada (we are honestly just trying to avoid this long-distance thing)

I've been reading about proof of funds, proof of ties to home country, etc. I have various questions:

-Proof of funds - for a 6 month visit how much money should she be expected to prove? I have a place in Canada, and I have a fairly well paying job which can support both of us. She also has a job (US employer, US clients) that she can do from anywhere on her computer, so she will still be doing some work while she up here. I understand that is allowed (according to the Canadian immigration website), but some people have advised not advertising that if not asked?

-Proof of ties - She has a job in the US, and her immediate family all live in the US, what other ties does she need

-Proof of return - I have heard that a return ticket would be useful, but what if I will be driving up with her?

-Length of trip - should she be expecting to have to explain why she is staying for so long?

-She will be bring her small dog with her - I understand that she should be packing like a visitor, but obviously if she is visiting me for several months, she cannot just leave her pet at home. Will this be a problem as well?

I would appreciate any advice - we are trying to avoid as much fuss as possible at the border, but obviously we are trying to do this legally and play by the rules. I am planning to return to the US after my stint, and so is she, so we don't plan on over staying, etc.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hard to predict what line of questioning she’ll face at the border. Perhaps a record of employment stating indefinite employment will help or maybe some clause she can work remotely. Something from your employer indicating your temporary posting in Canada may also help.