+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen minor daughter application for Canadian PR

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by sidharthsood123, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:56 PM.

  1. Me and my wife are Indian citizen and are Canadian PR holders. We live in USA. Our daughter is a US citizen. Does she need to apply for Canadian PR? If yes, can we apply it for her sitting in the US or do we have to be physically living in Canada to apply for PR. Please let us know.
  2. One of you will need to be physically living in Canada in order to be eligible to sponsor her. There is no requirement for her to become a PR just because you are. She can't just apply for PR without being sponsored unless she is going to apply via an economic immigration program, such as Express Entry.
  3. Was she born after you became PR? If yes, you can only sponsor her for PR after at least one of the parent actually moves to Canada. As a USC she can travel to Canada with you, but she cannot stay there beyond 6 months (You will have to separately apply for extension of stay beyond 6 months). The PR sponsorship application can take 6 to 12 months. She will not receive provincial health coverage until she actually becomes PR.

    If she was born before you landed as PRs. She should have been included in your PR application. You will not be able to sponsor her for PR ever in that case.
  4. Actually the child does qualify for health coverage in some provinces. Not in the most common ones like ON and BC. Same thing as schooling. Some school boards will want to see proof of PR. The parent sponsoring must be compliant with their RO to sponsor the child.

Share This Page