File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 19, 2014 : COPR July 22, 2014
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
:D I met my boyfriend online in 2010. I just met in last year in 2012 and began a relationship with him. I have visited him twice since then for long periods (calculating to 6 months). We plan to get married sometime in the summer of 2013. But we aren't sure about the procedure. I have been reading forums and looking at the site. We have a few questions, hopefully someone can answer.

1. Next time I visit, do I say to immigration that I'm visiting my boyfriend?
2. When we plan to get married, do I tell immigration?
3. Will it look bad if we spontaneously get married?
4. If we get married, my boyfriend would like me to just stay while the process of the application, but it is to my understanding its faster to applying from outland. Does anyone know is it better to apply from inland or outland?
5. What evidence will immigration need to prove our marriage or relationship? Photos? I have photos.
6. It is to my understanding that they question you and your spouse through an interview? what do they ask?
7. In Ontario, Canada what are the requirements to get married to a foreigner? A marriage license?
8. After we are married and if I am allowed to stay in Canada, may I apply for a work permit, if so how long does it usually take?

Thank you. Any information you could clarify or provide me with would be greatly appreciated. :)

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
That is completely up to you, it may or may not cause an impact. Some IO's could care less, while others think it's a crime and your never gonna leave. what have you been saying when crossing?

We did not tell immigration when we were planning on getting married, and this is why, We got married in Niagara Falls NY he was scared if we told immigration coming into the US that we were planning on marrying they would deny him entry thinking he was planning on staying in the US.

How would they actually know that it was spontaneous? My husband and I been together 13 years (met online 1999 ) and have 2 kids we were planning on applying common-law he texts me one Monday morning on the way to work and says let's get married by Saturday I had wedding cake, dress, suits for him and kids and we were getting married in a bed and breakfast in NY, other then same day I think that was spontaneous

Out-land is much faster but just because it says out-land doesn't mean you must stay out-land. we filed out-land and I been in Canada since April 19th my application was filed with CIC on April 23rd.

Photo's, copies of chat logs (since you met online), call logs, skype, Letters from friends and family that know of your relationship.

Very Very slim chance a Canadian/American couple will get called in for an interview, but they ask everything you can think of... spouse's favorite food, color, what side of the bed do they sleep, one woman claimed they asked her husband what color underwear she was wearing so who really knows?

of course a marriage license, if you have been divorced before you have to get permission from the ministry of government to marry. This is why we did it in Niagara Falls NY was alot easier....

Depends on which way you file... Out-land you can't apply for a work permit... but you will have your PR Visa with-in a year In-land you can apply for a work permit with your application but you will not receive it until you get an AIP which comes with 1st stage approval which is about 11 months and then another 8 months before you get PR Visa.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
The first time I went to Canada I said I was visiting a friend, and gave his name and address.

Yeah, that's why I am considering what to tell immigration. We aren't sure where we want to get married yet. I think in Canada is best, but we were also considering the US.

I say spontaneous because I don't think we are planning a big wedding, just close friends and family (mostly his because my family is all over the US and Canada is far from them) We aren't sure about the date or where exactly ye. I just want all the legal immigration issues to be sorted out you know. ;)

You can apply out-land and still be inland? That's great.

Ok. I have Photos of us...texts...messages online...movies...I can get letters from family.

Thats good to know. Yeah I am interested in applying for a work permit. Ontario has a high living expense.

Thanks for all that information. I will take it into consideration. If you have anymore advice or tips please let me know. :)

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
ovasquez1 said:
Yeah I am interested in applying for a work permit. Ontario has a high living expense.
I understand wanting to work believe me we are in K-W area and it drives me nuts having to ask my husband for money or the bank card. But if you apply in-land so that you can apply for a work permit you will be unable to work for 11 months thats how long it takes first stage approval to then get the work permit in your hand plus up to 8 more months to have your visa so total approx. 19 months. Out-land you can't get a work permit but the whole process takes up to 14 months and that will be Visa in hand apply for a SIN number and off to work you go.

Something else I forgot to mention 2 differences between In-land and Out-land... In-land you should remain in Canada if you cross and they deny you entry your application will be considered forfeited and you will have to start the process all over again and you have no right to appeal, Out-land you can cross the border freely and you also retain the right to appeal GL!

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

19 months vs 14 months. Out-land definitely sounds like the better option. I think it would be good for both of us to be working as soon as possible if we want to live in Ontario. And then I would be able to got be to cross the border and visit my folks. And meanwhile 11months I can go back to the US work some more and start saving more money you know and get things ready.

Thank you soo much for your help. I only have a few questions left. What is the process for out-land? Is there a link or is it on the site? and what is GL? Thanks sooo much. :)

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
Well since you are not yet married, or have not lived together for 12 months to be able to apply common-law you will have to wait to file an application till either you have married or lived together 12 months. Tho it takes awhile to get everything together and if you are planning to marry next summer then it is fine to get things rolling start collecting your evidence that way once you get your marriage certificate you will have everything ready and you can mail you app. wait until 3 months prior to your weeding to mail for your FBI certificate as it's only good for 3 months. Go the week before your wedding and get your medical as it only has a shelf life of 12 months and you want to have time left on it so that you can land. Once you are married and have mailed in your application make sure to keep receipt that you paid the fees it makes crossing the border easier and as the process moves along with sponsorship approval letters and such it give you move proof while crossing. like your working in the US to save up money yet able to visit on your weekends off etc.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

And GL is Good Luck! ;D

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
A few points of clarity:

It takes 11 months to get the open work permit if you apply with your PR application. Either inland or outland, of you can find an employer that is willing to sponsor you and can get an LMO, or if you qualify for a TN, you could apply for a work permit separately and theoretically have it sooner.

If you want to stay in Canada, make sure you stay legal! Applying for your PR, either inland or outland, doesn't mean you can automatically stay in Canada until it's finished. As am American, you can usually stay for up to 6 months at a time before you have to either leave or apply to extend your stay. Extensions are almost always granted, but it's not 100% guaranteed.

For starting your application, I'd recommend starting with this post by Leon, it's very good. The basic procedure is:

• Download all the forms. Fill them all out. Get really sick of paperwork.
  • Get your medical. Get annoyed that medicals are expensive.
  • Get your FBI background check. Be annoyed that it takes 2 months to get back a single sheet of paper stating "No records found"
  • Get copies of necessary documents, like your birth and marriage certificates. Get annoyed when a mail strikes makes your marriage certificate take 2 months to get there.
  • Assemble your relationship evidence.
  • Organize everything, and mail it.
  • Wait. Wish really hard that you had some kind of progress bar because even a few months feels like forever when you're waiting.
  • Get notified of sponsorship approval. Yay!
  • Wait more. Are you sick of waiting yet?
  • Get your PPR, yay! Mail off your passport (or photocopies), get your visa.
  • Land. You're a PR now!

1. Next time I visit, do I say to immigration that I'm visiting my boyfriend?
2. When we plan to get married, do I tell immigration?
If you want. Don't outright lie to them, though.

3. Will it look bad if we spontaneously get married?
What you've described, with a few friends/family attending, shouldn't look bad at all, especially as you will have known each other for 3 years at that point.

4. If we get married, my boyfriend would like me to just stay while the process of the application, but it is to my understanding its faster to applying from outland. Does anyone know is it better to apply from inland or outland?
Apply outland! But I think you already know that, by the time I'm typing this post :p

5. What evidence will immigration need to prove our marriage or relationship? Photos? I have photos.
6. It is to my understanding that they question you and your spouse through an interview? what do they ask?
For evidence, anything that shows you're in a relationship. Get creative, and don't include just one kind of evidence. Photos, letters/postcards, emails, facebook screenshots, phone logs, boarding passes or passport stamps from you visiting each other, joint bank accounts, listing each other as beneficiaries on insurance policies, poems you wrote for each other, pets you adopted together, receipts from gifts you bought each other, money you sent each other, the Christmas card your mom sends out announcing your engagement, anything goes!

In the very unlikely case that you are called to an interview, order your notes. This will tell you why you've been called to an interview, which will help you prepare for it.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
:) Thanks for all your help. I just have one last question. I visited Canada on Nov.28 2011, then Aug. 11 2012 each time for a couple of months. A total of 6 months now. When I can re-enter the country? How soon? Is it six months out of a year? or out of the year? or do I have to wait 6 months? I'd like to seen him in February for Valentine's Day. Do you think l I have any trouble with immigration, cuz I'm visiting my bf so often? I'm trying to visit him once every 3 months for a month, or once every 4 months til we get married.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
It's six months at a time.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Sorry, can you explain alittle more.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
ovasquez1 said:
Sorry, can you explain alittle more.
I'll explain it like it was explained to me.

Spouse comes in May, they are allowed to stay until Nov. If they leave in August, then the 6 months ends, and when they come back, another entire 6 months starts again. :)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is not 6 months out of a year. You can stay for 6 months, leave, and come back the next day for another 6 months.
Now, if you try doing that several times in a row the border agent might get suspicious and question you. They might not, either: it is completely up to them.
If you stay 6 months, you can also just apply to extend your stay.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
??? I was under the impression I could only stay 6 months of out a year...so I figured it was like this...if I was there nov28 2011...then from Nov. 28 2011 to Nov. 28 2012..I could only stay 6 months...so i visited twice, for a total of 6months. I plan to visit again in Feb. Would that be legally ok?

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
Haven't gotten married yet...we are still researching... might push the date back a bit :) so the total cost for the application is 1000$? ??? does he have to submit the money or do I, or how does that work if we do outland? Did you need a lawyer? would you recommend one? :-\ we went to ask a few lawyers and there fees were really high... :(

Thanks any info you can give us would be really appreciated. :D