+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Immigrating to Quebec

weilkevin

Mar 28, 2017
Hello All!

I'm new to the forums and would love some guidance. I previously posted this in the Permanent Residence forum and they directed me here. After reviewing some of their answers, I've revised my post. I'm looking for information regarding the Quebec paperwork, visiting during the application process, work permits, and crossing the border.

My girlfriend, currently living in Montreal, and I are planning on getting married in the next few months and applying for the spousal sponsorship program.

Here is how I understand the process....
  • We get married.
  • I "visit" Montreal
  • We file the inland spousal sponsorship and work permit applications.
  • We file the Quebec Selection Application.
  • 3-4 months later, the work permit arrives and I can now work.
  • Wait an additional year+.
  • Permanent residency.

Once the work permit comes through, we're planning on moving to Ontario. I'm not planning on working in Quebec.

A lot of my questions were previously answered by Rob_TO but I'm always interested in more advice!

Filing Inland vs Outland for a US citizen. According to the online estimates, application processing times are about the same for Inland vs Outland. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both options? It's been suggested that as a US citizen, I file outland.

When visiting, how can we ensure I can visit during the entire inland application process? Filing for visit extensions?
"Filing the OWP with the inland app, gives you IMPLIED STATUS in Canada for entire duration of PR processing. So no need for any additional extension requests."

Do I need to prove that I've been living in Canada during the entire inland application process?
"requirement of inland app is sponsor and applicant are living together inside Canada, for entire application process. At any time IRCC may ask to see continued proof of your cohabitation in Canada."

Is the work permit province specific or Canada wide?
Canada wide.

When will I need to figure out all of my government documents(License, bank accounts, car insurance, etc)
Some you can get while here as a visitor/worker (like a drivers license or bank account), others you'll need to wait until you become a PR (like getting your US car imported, registered and insured in Canada)

Any advice for crossing the border for my "visit"?

I'm sure I have a ton more questions but this is a good start. I really appreciate any help you all can give. The process seems overwhelming and getting some things clarified will really go a long way. I'm mainly just trying to narrow down the process before diving in and potentially making mistakes.

Thanks!
Kevin

P.S. I apologize if these questions were asked before but looking through the forums I couldn't find specifics. Feel free to link me to these other posts if applicable and recent.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weilkevin said:
  • Permanent residency.

Most U.S. citizens complete the process in ~ 6 months or less.

A lot of my questions were previously answered by Rob_TO but I'm always interested in more advice!

Tough to elaborate on RobTO's answers because they're usually spot on!

Good luck!

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
weilkevin said:
Hello All!

I'm new to the forums and would love some guidance. I previously posted this in the Permanent Residence forum and they directed me here. After reviewing some of their answers, I've revised my post. I'm looking for information regarding the Quebec paperwork, visiting during the application process, work permits, and crossing the border.

My girlfriend, currently living in Montreal, and I are planning on getting married in the next few months and applying for the spousal sponsorship program.

Here is how I understand the process....
  • We get married.
  • I "visit" Montreal
  • We file the inland spousal sponsorship and work permit applications.
  • We file the Quebec Selection Application.
  • 3-4 months later, the work permit arrives and I can now work.
  • Permanent residency.

Once the work permit comes through, we're planning on moving to Ontario. I'm not planning on working in Quebec.

Filing Inland vs Outland for a US citizen. According to the online estimates, application processing times are about the same for Inland vs Outland. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both options? It's been suggested that as a US citizen, I file outland.

When visiting, how can we ensure I can visit during the entire inland application process? Filing for visit extensions?
"Filing the OWP with the inland app, gives you IMPLIED STATUS in Canada for entire duration of PR processing. So no need for any additional extension requests."

Do I need to prove that I've been living in Canada during the entire inland application process?
"requirement of inland app is sponsor and applicant are living together inside Canada, for entire application process. At any time IRCC may ask to see continued proof of your cohabitation in Canada."

Is the work permit province specific or Canada wide?
Canada wide.

When will I need to figure out all of my government documents(License, bank accounts, car insurance, etc)
Some you can get while here as a visitor/worker (like a drivers license or bank account), others you'll need to wait until you become a PR (like getting your US car imported, registered and insured in Canada)

Any advice for crossing the border for my "visit"?

I'm sure I have a ton more questions but this is a good start. I really appreciate any help you all can give. The process seems overwhelming and getting some things clarified will really go a long way. I'm mainly just trying to narrow down the process before diving in and potentially making mistakes.

Thanks!
Kevin

P.S. I apologize if these questions were asked before but looking through the forums I couldn't find specifics. Feel free to link me to these other posts if applicable and recent.
Dude, just apply outland, takes 3-4 months and you can drive back and forth between usa and canada. If you apply inland, you won't be able to visit your family in the states and the work permit will only come 4 months into the application. Not to mention it will last like 5-6 months longer.

weilkevin

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks for the reply! I'm just a little confused because the online estimates show 13 months for an outland application for a US citizen. Have things just changed lately or are these estimates inaccurate?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
weilkevin said:
Thanks for the reply! I'm just a little confused because the online estimates show 13 months for an outland application for a US citizen. Have things just changed lately or are these estimates inaccurate?
The posted processing times are not averages. They are based on how long it took to process 80% of apps. The actual average for outland American apps is 4-6 months and has been holding there for quite awhile now.

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
weilkevin said:
There is a guy, US citizen in the January 2017 outland thread who applied in January of course and got his PPR mid march.

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
Hi All,

This forum is very helpful!!

Im a little confused by the <6 months estimates for US citizens getting PR via outland in the above thread. Looking at the 2017 spreadsheet (link below is the right one I think), filtered for Mississauga and then looking at the notes to see if the applicant is American, there are people who applied before May that havent received it yet. Can you elaborate on where the average estimates are coming from.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dJsaLvHra4173xPfRwZbXo73hsxoXaLSJ5-tcm7qnJI/edit#gid=0

Thanks

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi All,

This forum is very helpful!!

Im a little confused by the <6 months estimates for US citizens getting PR via outland in the above thread. Looking at the 2017 spreadsheet (link below is the right one I think), filtered for Mississauga and then looking at the notes to see if the applicant is American, there are people who applied before May that havent received it yet. Can you elaborate on where the average estimates are coming from.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dJsaLvHra4173xPfRwZbXo73hsxoXaLSJ5-tcm7qnJI/edit#gid=0

Thanks
It used to be often that quick. Now it's changed. It's taking a bit longer as they have streamlined inland and outland applications to target a 12m timeline. They are dealing with backlog as well as clearing out 2016 applications.

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
Thanks for the quick response. I recently applied outland thinking it would be much less than 12 months. Do you know what the average is for outland US citizen applications these days?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Than
ks for the quick response. I recently applied outland thinking it would be much less than 12 months. Do you know what the average is for outland US citizen applications these days?
It's a 12m timeline now. It's impossible to say, really. CPC Mississauga has taken on some of the processing in order to alleviate backlogs. There's a decent chance it'll be done in less than a year, particularly for straightforward and uncomplicated applications. Seeing some January and February Outland applicants getting decision made now. It's really a case by case basis, though.

We're outland Ireland and about to hit 9 months definitely hoped it would be faster, but it is what it is.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
It's a 12m timeline now. It's impossible to say, really. CPC Mississauga has taken on some of the processing in order to alleviate backlogs. There's a decent chance it'll be done in less than a year, particularly for straightforward and uncomplicated applications. Seeing some January and February Outland applicants getting decision made now. It's really a case by case basis, though.

We're outland Ireland and about to hit 9 months definitely hoped it would be faster, but it is what it is.
Some DMs and PPRs in April that are from US (citizens and not) so it *really* depends. But it doesn't seem like that outland is going to be as fast as it once was.