+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US car entered as tourist, can I re-enter US with car without import fees?

ImmaConquest

Jul 23, 2016
Hello there,

not sure if this is the right forum but I have a big car issue. I entered Canada with my US bought car which was financed, as a tourist, then got a 1 year WH work permit and now want to move back to the states. So I never planned on importing the car. I was gonna drive it back to the states after 1 year here.

Problem is I fell behind with my car payments (thanks low CDN lol) and now the bank put the car in repo. I tried to settle something with them but they would not let me get back on track with the payments even though I paid the full amount I was behind, they cancelled the financing contract and now want the car back or pay off the total amount I still owe (which I do not have that much).

I never imported the car officially to Canada as it stated on the Canada gov. site that I can take the car as tourist/visitor or on a temporary work permit to Canada without importing it, but it says the car has to go back to the US when the tourist visa or work permit expires (which was my plan). So now my question is, the car is in repo in the US, my US tags are expired, too so I am not driving the car currently, but I can not register or import it to Canada due to it being in repo in the US?
I can not drive the car back because my tags are expired.

What do I do, I feel like I screwed myself over as I did not do any research, could I try to import the car to Canada now and sell it here? It says you can NOT sell the car here if it is a US car and was driven here as a tourist.

I am super confused, could I just sell it privately and then pay off the bank and get the US title and give it to the Canadian buyer and then the buyer in Canada imports the car? Or could I try to ship the car back as I cannot drive out due to expired tags.

Can I register it here and just pay the import fee (how much is that?) and get Canadian insurance/tags on it and then sell it? Or would that alarm the US repo guys?
In the end even if I give the car back to the bank they would sell it and I could pay off the car as it is worth much more than what I still owe, but the bank probably will just sell it for a third or less I could get f i sell it directly.

I whish I had the money to just pay it off, but I don't make that much.

Could I go to a cash for car dealership and give them the car for cheaper and pay my bank off? Would they buy a car from the US financed with expired tags? Probably not ey?

If you guys know any options, please let me know!

:'(

fswevaluation

Star Member
May 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA/ NEW YORK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
LANDED..........
6th July 2015/Toronto
Just an opinion. 2 cents worth.

Try to talk to the repo guys in US and ask if they can help you sort the situation. Do not try to sell it in cash or kind to anybody in Canada as the car even when sold should meet the import regulations of Canada and I suppose you do not have ownership title. So please don't screw up by selling in Canada--it will complicate

All the best

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You don't own your car, the company that gave you financing and still has a lien on it technically owns your car. So you can't import it or sell it here legally while that lien is on your car.

Only thing you could do is sell it privately under the assumption the buyer will first front you the money to pay off the loan to remove the lien. Then once the car is in your name alone you can officially make necessary modifications to and import the car, and then officially give it to the buyer. Obviously may be difficult to find a buyer willing to go through this, guess it depends how much of a deal you offer.