+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US born baby to sponsor inland by PR parents

tubu

Nov 7, 2011
I and my wife, we both have Permanent Resident of Canada, currently living in Mississauga. Ontario
Our child was born in USA 3 months back, we have brought our child to Canada in temporary visa (valid for 6 months) .
We want to do inland sponsorship for our USA born child (3 months old) who is currently staying with us in Canada. I am planning to fill the forms myself and not using any representative.
I am really confused which forms I need to fill and which form is not required. I need your guidance on list of forms I need to fill for my 3 months old baby .
I am planning to fill following list forms, please correct me if I am wrong.
Kindly let me know if I need to fill form
1) [IMM 5409],
2) United States -[IMM 3910] for my 3 months baby.

Part 1: Sponsorship forms
1) Document Checklist -IMM 5491
2) Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking[IMM 1344]
3) Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481]
4) Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409]
5) Sponsor Questionnaire [IMM 5540]
Part 2: Immigration forms
1) Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] PD\
2) FAdditional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP]
3) PSchedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
4) Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
5) Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire [IMM 5490] PD
Part 3: Information guides
United States -[IMM 3910]

Thanks
Ashok

Mrs. Turan

Mar 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
The Canadian Embassy, Ankara, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2010
File Transfer...
06-05-2010
Med's Request
29-07-2011
Med's Done....
20-08-2011
Interview........
23-06-2010
Passport Req..
09-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2011
LANDED..........
25-12-2011
Really??? That's crazy. You're both PR in Canada and because you had your baby in the US, your baby is not Canadian it's American? So you had to get a temporary visa for your baby? Wow, that is unreal!!!! Does that just seem really wrong? Can't things be done, to make things easier for people in a situation like that? it seems a little farfetched that the onus is put on the parents for this.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Mrs. Turan said:
Really??? That's crazy. You're both PR in Canada and because you had your baby in the US, your baby is not Canadian it's American? So you had to get a temporary visa for your baby? Wow, that is unreal!!!! Does that just seem really wrong? Can't things be done, to make things easier for people in a situation like that? it seems a little farfetched that the onus is put on the parents for this.
Why? If they are PRs living in Canada, why did they have the baby in the U.S.? My guess is they wanted the child to have U.S. citizenship. The downside of this is now they have to deal with immigration paperwork. Citizenship in the U.S. is granted to those born on U.S. soil or to parents of American citizenship. The same thing for Canadian citizenship. There's no way to claim Canadian citizenship if you were physically born outside of the country to parents who are not Canadian citizens. The child has U.S. citizenship by birth, and likely whatever citizenship the parents have as well. I doubt there will be any issues getting the child PR in Canada (I don't believe for a second the government would deny/deport a newborn whose parents are PRs), but it seems only fair that they have to go through the paperwork. American and Canadian citizenships are certainly not the same thing, and if they were I for one wouldn't be on this forum or twiddling my thumbs waiting for PR!

Mar 15, 2010
Hi Ashok,

Did you file application for your baby? I am in same boat and have few questions about same and thought will check with you.

I moved to Canada in Nov and filing my baby's PR. Me and my wife are Canadian PR and daughter is US citizen.

1. Where did you send your application? Vegreville or Mississauga? I checked with call center and they said Mississauga but as per online documentation at CIC website, it should go to for inland apps.

2. How much fees did you pay? Is it $550 as she is principal applicant or $150?

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaAspirant said:
Did you file application for your baby? I am in same boat and have few questions about same and thought will check with you.

I moved to Canada in Nov and filing my baby's PR. Me and my wife are Canadian PR and daughter is US citizen.

1. Where did you send your application? Vegreville or Mississauga? I checked with call center and they said Mississauga but as per online documentation at CIC website, it should go to for inland apps.

2. How much fees did you pay? Is it $550 as she is principal applicant or $150?
1. You should send to Mississauga like they said. That is an outland application through the US. Inland for children is only when you are sponsoring a spouse and children. Besides, outland is faster.

2. If you go to Calculate my fees on the CIC website, see https://eservicesak.cic.gc.ca/efee/efee.do?lang=en you will see this:

Principal applicant, if less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner (including a dependent child of the sponsor, a child to be adopted and an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew, or grandchild) $75.00

There is another $75 for the sponsorship application by itself.

Mar 15, 2010
Thanks Leon for a quick reply. I will send it to Mississauga.

For fees, I also read this but when I asked same call center guy, he said it should be $550 as she is principal applicant. I pointed out that she is less than 22 years but he sad it doesn't matter as there is one principal applicant on file.

Maybe I will send $550. I read somewhere that they return excess amount if you send more than what is required.

Thanks

Mar 15, 2010
I sent my application on 10th Jan to Mississauga office for sponsoring my kid but haven't heard anything back yet. Is it too early to expect any confirmation from CIC?
Can anyone please share timelines for similar scenario - sponsoring a US born kid?

Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp you see they are working on applications up to January 3rd so you might hear something in the next week or two.

mom_of_two

May 31, 2012
One more thing that may help, although not with the application: you will want OHIP for your US-born son, and the PR application may take up to 8 months. We are in a similar situation, we are Canadian citizens now but our son was born in the US while we were PR. I actually bought travel insurance for our son before we returned to Canada with him, to make sure he had some sort of coverage. But to our (pleasant) surprise, when we went to Service Canada to get our OHIP cards renewed, they also gave us OHIP for one year for our US-born son, they just needed his US birth certificate. This was in Toronto.

Mar 15, 2010
Oh really? That is good to know and I will definitely go to Service Canada and check it out. For my daughter, its been almost six months now and status still shows as Medical Results received. Don't know how long its gonna take. I heard that for cases like this, it takes around 6 months but seems its not true.

Thanks for this info.

redondo

Apr 18, 2013
Hi,

Any progress on your case?
I'm on the same boat and going to apply for my baby.
Do you know how much actually that case costs?
Did you send only sponsor application forms to CPC-M or sponsor application forms plus H&C grounds forms?

Thanks,
Leo

Mar 15, 2010
I got my daughter's PR in Jan this year. So, it took somewhere around 1 year for full processing. I paid $550 as she was principal applicant and they say that if you pay more than required, they refund the fees but I did not get any refund. So, I believe, fees is $550.
I filled sponsorship form only and sent it to Mississauga along with my application.

If your case is similar to mine and you also have inland application, dont forget to look at country specific requirements too and follow them. In my case, I sent only 2 pics of her as per inland application requirements and they came back asking for 2 more. Then I found out that as per US processing requirements, you need to submit 4 photos and not 2.

colinmeli

Feb 6, 2012
hello. Can any one please reply to me

I am in the same situation, the only difference is that my daughter was born in India, can you advise me , what i have to
do sponsor my child to get Canadian pr
Thanks
colinmeli