AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I'm filling out the IELTS application form, and am at the part to indicate where I'd like to have the results sent.
But there is no option to send it to IRCC, Can anyone help how to send scores to scores to IRCC?
You don't need to send it to IRCC. You just need to enter your mailing address so you can receive your scores. IRCC can then ask for a copy of your scores from you and verify them with IELTS directly.

Reactions: sumiprime

thebestapplicant

Mar 26, 2017
Boston, MA
NOC Code......
Hey guys,

I had a quick question, I reside in the US and will be attaching a FD that my dad opened up for me the last month

Do I need to have a gift deed on a stamp paper ? or does a regular paper work fine ?

Also do I need to submit an affidavit with it ?

Thanks

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Has anyone else had people bizarrely concerned about your ability to return to the US? We've gotten a bunch of comments from people in the US like that. We found out some may be explained by a cousin in part of our family who was in Mexico and "didn't have the paperwork they needed to come back to the US" so they always had to visit him there, and somehow the conclusion was that there was some US requirement like that and not that, you know, this guy had some sketchy stuff going on, even after we'd explained a bunch of times that we literally cannot lose our US citizenships ever, not without a bunch of paperwork and money. But beyond that there's been us saying we want to go back to our last city each year to see friends and someone responding "oh, and so you can keep your citizenship, right?" and a direct "so how long after you move do you lose your US citizenship?"

This stuff came out of left field for me. I could see it if people think we became Canadian citizens but even people who seem to know we're not (and most get the sugarcoated version where we imply it's a temporary work visa) have this idea. It has me like:

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
Has anyone else had people bizarrely concerned about your ability to return to the US? We've gotten a bunch of comments from people in the US like that. We found out some may be explained by a cousin in part of our family who was in Mexico and "didn't have the paperwork they needed to come back to the US" so they always had to visit him there, and somehow the conclusion was that there was some US requirement like that and not that, you know, this guy had some sketchy stuff going on, even after we'd explained a bunch of times that we literally cannot lose our US citizenships ever, not without a bunch of paperwork and money. But beyond that there's been us saying we want to go back to our last city each year to see friends and someone responding "oh, and so you can keep your citizenship, right?" and a direct "so how long after you move do you lose your US citizenship?"

This stuff came out of left field for me. I could see it if people think we became Canadian citizens but even people who seem to know we're not (and most get the sugarcoated version where we imply it's a temporary work visa) have this idea. It has me like:
That's an amazingly ... ugh, how to say it politely... ignorant?... comment from those folks.

Do you think it might just be more of a passive aggressive way of them expressing their disapproval?

You should somehow work into your reply something to the effect of "and one of the big reasons we're so exited about the move is that the education system in Canada is very good! Our daughter will grow up knowing stuff like this." :D

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
That's an amazingly ... ugh, how to say it politely... ignorant?... comment from those folks.

Do you think it might just be more of a passive aggressive way of them expressing their disapproval?

You should somehow work into your reply something to the effect of "and one of the big reasons we're so exited about the move is that the education system in Canada is very good! Our daughter will grow up knowing stuff like this." :D
My most charitable interpretation is that they think moving = citizenship and a LOT of people have somehow have only heard of the cases where people have to choose between citizenships, not the ones where they go on with life with two passports. My group of friends is from all over though so I'm very used to it being completely a non-issue to be dual (or more) citizens, while the people who say these things tend to run in very non-diverse circles. I think those two issues combine to explain most of it, but I still don't get the part where we have to do something to maintain US citizenship like it's some use it or lose it thing.

I don't think it's about disapproval because most of the time it's actually been from supportive people.

I do think if this idea of how citizenship works is as widespread as it seems based on my experience, that could explain a fair amount of the flack we (general we here) get for this move. I can understand why people would be pissy about someone throwing out their US citizenship (especially as they follows that we'd be deciding that for our kids and would be making access to family in the US more difficult). It's just that, of course, it's a completely made-up line of thinking that somehow a lot of people seem to believe. Now I know that with my husband's family it mainly comes from the cousin in Mexico but the rest are a mystery. I think I'm going to start asking why people think that instead of jumping straight to the "no, we have to beg and pay off the government if we want to drop our US citizenship" thing and see if that explains any more. Maybe a lot of families have some rando distant relative who "just can't leave Mexico due to paperwork the US requires" o_O

Reactions: bellaluna

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
My most charitable interpretation is that they think moving = citizenship and a LOT of people have somehow have only heard of the cases where people have to choose between citizenships, not the ones where they go on with life with two passports. My group of friends is from all over though so I'm very used to it being completely a non-issue to be dual (or more) citizens, while the people who say these things tend to run in very non-diverse circles. I think those two issues combine to explain most of it, but I still don't get the part where we have to do something to maintain US citizenship like it's some use it or lose it thing.

I don't think it's about disapproval because most of the time it's actually been from supportive people.

I do think if this idea of how citizenship works is as widespread as it seems based on my experience, that could explain a fair amount of the flack we (general we here) get for this move. I can understand why people would be pissy about someone throwing out their US citizenship (especially as they follows that we'd be deciding that for our kids and would be making access to family in the US more difficult). It's just that, of course, it's a completely made-up line of thinking that somehow a lot of people seem to believe. Now I know that with my husband's family it mainly comes from the cousin in Mexico but the rest are a mystery. I think I'm going to start asking why people think that instead of jumping straight to the "no, we have to beg and pay off the government if we want to drop our US citizenship" thing and see if that explains any more. Maybe a lot of families have some rando distant relative who "just can't leave Mexico due to paperwork the US requires" o_O
I think it's a good idea to go with the "why do you think that?" approach. Maybe you'll get some insight into it. Or at a minimum know exactly what to tell them so they'll understand.

I'm just hoping it's not flat out ignorance. That'd be kind of sad.

Reactions: moose17

bells24

Dec 7, 2017
I've had people question this but also question why we would WANT to return to the U.S. so often if we basically 'think it's so bad here' that we want to move. Which of course isn't really fair since this is about our kids' futures, our long-term goals for them, etc., and less about the immediate risks or problems with living here.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016

Oh my .... words fail me. Amazing ignorance :eek:

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I think it's a good idea to go with the "why do you think that?" approach. Maybe you'll get some insight into it. Or at a minimum know exactly what to tell them so they'll understand.

I think it is ignorance, unfortunately! I've encountered A LOT of people who really have no clue about how immigration and citizenship work. I've met people who think they can just up and move to another country because they get to visit visa-free. I've been asked a thousand times whether I'm looking for a job in Canada (as a means to close the distance with my SO), and I have to explain every time that it's not that simple. Even my SO, who is a Canadian citizen living in Canada, asked if I get a Canadian passport when I get PR.

Most people in the states don't end up in a situation where they need to think about the nitty-gritty of legal immigration, and it's not something that's taught in school, so most end up fairly oblivious.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I think it is ignorance, unfortunately! I've encountered A LOT of people who really have no clue about how immigration and citizenship work. I've met people who think they can just up and move to another country because they get to visit visa-free. I've been asked a thousand times whether I'm looking for a job in Canada (as a means to close the distance with my SO), and I have to explain every time that it's not that simple. Even my SO, who is a Canadian citizen living in Canada, asked if I get a Canadian passport when I get PR.

Most people in the states don't end up in a situation where they need to think about the nitty-gritty of legal immigration, and it's not something that's taught in school, so most end up fairly oblivious.
Such a thing may not be exclusive to Americans.. one of my Indian friend who had his masters in US sounded worried on his immigration future as there is so much uncertainty in getting work visa after graduation and eventually green card due to broken system. I suggested him to apply Canadian PR as he had a master degree with the requisite work experience.. his response was like yeah I need to look in to that.. and he gave a shock of my life when he said ' I have heard that with Canadian PR you can work in US.. right'.. I told him that Canada is a separate country and It doesn't work that way.

We are getting into depths of this immigration nuances probably because it is mattering to us at this point of life.

kevkek

Mar 31, 2018
Hi,

I have Jan 27 AOR and the medicals were passed on Feb 8. I m stuck in background check ever since.
Any clues what could be the problem or what I can do to get out of this stale mate.

This is the exact status in the website

Application status - We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Review of eligibility - Review of eligibility We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results - Review of medical results You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - Review of additional documents We do not need additional documents.
Interview - Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check - Background check We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision- Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

kynno

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
USA
NOC Code......

Oh, I think it is just that...flat out ignorance. From my experience, many US citizens have no idea how their immigration system...perhaps I should say, immigration in general works. When I tell them that I'm not a US citizen or that I'm not a permanent resident, they would often say "you've been here however many years and you are not a citizen yet, how long does it usually take?" or they would ask me if I was here illegally o_O...and I would often have that perplexed expression on my face while thinking to myself..."oh gosh, yet another one that I have to school about how immigration works". At the end of the day though, I don't hold it against them. I figured, most people are likely to NOT be in the know about things that do not affect them personally...until it does. I've also noticed that I would often get those questions from people who have never traveled outside of the US yet alone leave their city and/or state.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Hi,

I have Jan 27 AOR and the medicals were passed on Feb 8. I m stuck in background check ever since.
Any clues what could be the problem or what I can do to get out of this stale mate.

This is the exact status in the website

Application status - We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
Review of eligibility - Review of eligibility We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results - Review of medical results You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents - Review of additional documents We do not need additional documents.
Interview - Interview You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - Biometrics We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check - Background check We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision- Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Check your AOR month specific thread for trends. You are unlikely to find info on this thread.

sam9589

Aug 7, 2017
AOR Received.
08/08/2017
Med's Done....
31/08/2017
Passport Req..
17/10/2017
Hello,
How are you guys planning to move/moved your savings from bank in USA to bank in Canada?
Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
@tjsecondtry - I have read that you are pursuing further studies in Canada. I am also thinking on similar steps but from a college in the USA.

Are you aware of the Graudate certificate programs here in USA? I have checked from Boston University and U Mass. I see 12 and 16 credit courses and this will give me a graduate certificate upon completion (hopefully in summer+ fall or fall + spring semester). I already have a 4 year's bachelor degree.

Will the 12/16 credit graduate certificate be valid for 2 or more degree, so I can get higher points in express entry. Don't know what is the equivalent version of graduate certificate in Canada.

Other members too, please help!!!!!