+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

Lovely_Wings

Nov 21, 2017
I am floored to see that my PR application has been APPROVED. I have lived in the US for over 15 years, and never got close to smelling a green card. I haven't even lived in Canada, yet my PR application is approved in a few months. The paranoid part of me is wondering if there is a catch somewhere. Given my years of suffering, this seems too good to be true.

ITA - August 24, 2017
AOR - Nov 21, 2017
Passport Request - Feb 8, 2018

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Congratulations, @Lovely_Wings! I can't imagine what a weight off your shoulders that must be!

I've been ironing out so many final details here. Checking if our bank in TO had our checks, I mean cheques, because we need postdated ones for rent when we move into our rental (they didn't - they were sent to our US house in December instead of our "home branch" in TO, never arrived, so are probably rotting in some warehouse on the border), setting up car exporting and importing, and on and on. Not to mention packing up a house and selling what we're not taking. One step at a time, one step at a time . . .

Also, shameless plug for the facebook group! If anyone wants to join, just PM me an email for the invite to go to and I'll add you!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
What is it with Canadians and posted dated checks? I've had to beg to pay in cash, lol.
LOL, I don't know. At least it's basically autopay. My mortgage has been on autopay for years so I'd hate to have to deal with that again. Too much to go wrong if I forget or my reminders get messed up!

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
LOL, I don't know. At least it's basically autopay. My mortgage has been on autopay for years so I'd hate to have to deal with that again. Too much to go wrong if I forget or my reminders get messed up!
I don't even have paper checks anymore, so I would have to buy them and then physically write them. Blech!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
I don't even have paper checks anymore, so I would have to buy them and then physically write them. Blech!
Ugh I'm so annoyed I had to pay for checks! We're still working through the free sets of checks we got when we started our two main checking accounts in the US YEARS ago, with plenty to spare. The first round that was lost were free, so once we're there I'm going to see if I can get the charge on the replacement reversed, but I'm not planning to be too big on that. I am planning to move to the all-inclusive TD package, so any other checks and bank drafts, plus a safe deposit box, will be free. I was told the person on the phone couldn't upgrade me without removing the newcomer's package, but if I go into a branch they can upgrade me and keep that, which I need for the credit card. The min account balance once the newcomer's period is over is only 1k higher on the all-inclusive.

I did find out the world won't end if I don't have the postdated cheques aren't there when we move in, so that was a relief.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
I'm not sure I see the point of post-dated checks. You could have insufficient balance or close the account. Why does it seem to be the preferred solution?

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
I am floored to see that my PR application has been APPROVED. I have lived in the US for over 15 years, and never got close to smelling a green card. I haven't even lived in Canada, yet my PR application is approved in a few months. The paranoid part of me is wondering if there is a catch somewhere. Given my years of suffering, this seems too good to be true.

ITA - August 24, 2017
AOR - Nov 21, 2017
Passport Request - Feb 8, 2018
Totally get your feelings! Good Luck!

Cbhav1

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
I am about to do my soft landing in a week or two and wanted to get your opinion on the following -
1. POF - I believe we do need this for landing. If so what should I carry. Just bank statements or do I need the bank letter as well?
2. Apart from COPR/Passports/Goods to follow what else do I need to carry? Do they ask you to submit photos?
3. Is there any interview? I know they do ask some questions and those should just be general types correct?

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
@tjsecondtry, no idea. Maybe it's slightly more reliable than not doing them? It's definitely one our "nod and smile" cultural/practical moments. With our past travels and my involvement in student exchange as an alum (albeit, of a summer program, albeit, it was Japan so lots to have moments with!) and volunteer, it's at least been natural for me for a while! Funny story - my area once had a student from Denmark who spoke English completely fluently and with no accent whatsoever. NONE. She told me she got funny looks when paying for things with change at the beginning when she was getting used to our coins, one of which doesn't actually show the amount on it, like "What's wrong with this girl?! She's too old to have trouble counting change!" This has given me a whole new understanding of how she must have felt!

@Cbhav1, we brought the bank letters we'd gotten for the application plus newer bank statements but weren't asked for any of it. Otherwise I'm pretty sure we just need what you listed in 2. No photos needed at that point. All we got asked was basic stuff like had we committed crimes I think, had our family situation changed, etc. It was pretty casual.

Reactions: Cbhav1

Slm1003

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone know if I can drive to the US customs at the border and export my car a day or so before landing at Canadian border? Will it have to be the same border I’ll be landing at?

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
@tjsecondtry, no idea. Maybe it's slightly more reliable than not doing them? It's definitely one our "nod and smile" cultural/practical moments. With our past travels and my involvement in student exchange as an alum (albeit, of a summer program, albeit, it was Japan so lots to have moments with!) and volunteer, it's at least been natural for me for a while! Funny story - my area once had a student from Denmark who spoke English completely fluently and with no accent whatsoever. NONE. She told me she got funny looks when paying for things with change at the beginning when she was getting used to our coins, one of which doesn't actually show the amount on it, like "What's wrong with this girl?! She's too old to have trouble counting change!" This has given me a whole new understanding of how she must have felt!

@Cbhav1, we brought the bank letters we'd gotten for the application plus newer bank statements but weren't asked for any of it. Otherwise I'm pretty sure we just need what you listed in 2. No photos needed at that point. All we got asked was basic stuff like had we committed crimes I think, had our family situation changed, etc. It was pretty casual.
I can empathize with the thing about change. I have trouble with Canadian nickels and quarters when viewed without the other to compare it to.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017

BTW, when's your arrival date? Would you like to pick the date of the next gathering? My husband will be here March 2-4 if you are going to be around.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
I can empathize with the thing about change. I have trouble with Canadian nickels and quarters when viewed without the other to compare it to.
I haven't paid anything with coins yet, but our experiences with cards (namely tap-to-pay) were a humbling start! I also got thrown off with the restaurant card readers brought to the table because while I've used them before, I think the only times I did they had me write out the tip or were only in one language. Between the two, I had to get help from the waitress :oops:

There are also the upcoming questions I'll have when we move into our rental like "how do I take out the trash", "do we have our own hot water heater is that a whole-building thing?" (if we have our own we'd need to see if we should turn it down for our daughter), etc. that make me feel like a bit of a fool. Oh well, fun with learning curves!

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
BTW, when's your arrival date? Would you like to pick the date of the next gathering? My husband will be here March 2-4 if you are going to be around.
March 1, but probably can't do plans until the 3rd (that's when my father-in-law is going home). If we do something in the evening it would just be me going but if you wanted to do something with both our spouses (and our toddler) we can try for a daytime meetup, maybe Sunday the 4th?