US-based applicants, let's connect here

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
Check page 12-14. Scotia offers high fees monthly accounts with unlimited debit transactions. Any time you use your debit card ( ATM withdrawal, online payments etc. ) constitutes a transaction. Credit Card transactions are unlimited. Also, you can avoid monthly fees by keeping minimum amount ( $4500 in case of Scotia) in Checking account OR setting up Direct Deposits ( Pay checks) .

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/common/pdf/day_to_day/day-to-day_banking_companion_booklet.pdf
I deleted my post (must have been right as you responded) because I answered my own question and found out that TD has unlimited transaction accounts as long as you maintain a minimum balance as well. It was a huge "duh" moment for me with the credit cards, for some reason I was thinking that I would have to start using cash all the time to stay under the transaction limit and wondering how the heck Canadians did it.

I thought I had decided on TD but I checked out Scotiabank and now I don't know which one I'll do.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Now I'm confused.... so both TD Bank and RBC offer money transfers w/o fees to PRs?

Is there a specific program/offer/other that I need? Any chance someone has a web link to it? I don't think I know what I'm looking for, because I can't seem to find the offers online.

Thanks!!
TD and I believe RBC do country-to-country transfers free (or with fees refunded) for anyone. You just have to have accounts set up in both countries. TD refers to it as cross-border banking. Newcomers packages are a separate thing that a bunch of banks offer that come with credit cards and fees waived for a time.

So today I spent literally hours dealing with banks, mostly TD but also the local credit union I use when I travel. That's already awful but add in a cranky toddler and I'm pretty sure I was in some sort of newly discovered circle of hell. And after all that, only some of the issues are sorted out. Despite being told my money would be available as soon as TD got my check to start the account, they actually do a 7-day hold. A manager at my "home branch" tried to move mountains, ultimately ending up in a 3-way call with me and my local bank's branch manager but we won't find out if that worked until the morning. If it didn't, I'm just going to cancel the account opening appointment in Toronto and do it on our next trip. Hey, then we'll feel REALLY sure about not having to submit Canadian taxes for the 2017 year. Unfortunately it would mean having to do all sorts of workarounds if we somehow find an apartment we want to put a deposit on.

Moral of the story: leave lots of extra time for money to go through. I would say start this stuff a month before landing, and then check everything carefully. If I'd just assumed I was good to go because the check to TD was withdrawn from my local bank account, we'd have a nasty surprise at that appointment. There was another issue with the credit union's debit cards that was pure idiocy on their parts but if I hadn't double-checked my PIN at an ATM we would have found out there that our cards were deactivated (they had sent everyone new cards with chips and deactivated the old non-chip ones - but they never ordered chips cards for us and still deactivated them).

Finally, in the morning we have to check on a possible issue with the transfer I did from the local bank to the credit union. FUN. We may have to do a last-minute withdrawal and deposit of cash between accounts on our way out of town to keep foreign transaction fees minimized.

This is a preview of me crossing the border tomorrow:

Do they let you answer the landing questions while laying on the ground like that?

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
TD and I believe RBC do country-to-country transfers free (or with fees refunded) for anyone. You just have to have accounts set up in both countries. TD refers to it as cross-border banking. Newcomers packages are a separate thing that a bunch of banks offer that come with credit cards and fees waived for a time.

So today I spent literally hours dealing with banks, mostly TD but also the local credit union I use when I travel. That's already awful but add in a cranky toddler and I'm pretty sure I was in some sort of newly discovered circle of hell. And after all that, only some of the issues are sorted out. Despite being told my money would be available as soon as TD got my check to start the account, they actually do a 7-day hold. A manager at my "home branch" tried to move mountains, ultimately ending up in a 3-way call with me and my local bank's branch manager but we won't find out if that worked until the morning. If it didn't, I'm just going to cancel the account opening appointment in Toronto and do it on our next trip. Hey, then we'll feel REALLY sure about not having to submit Canadian taxes for the 2017 year. Unfortunately it would mean having to do all sorts of workarounds if we somehow find an apartment we want to put a deposit on.

Moral of the story: leave lots of extra time for money to go through. I would say start this stuff a month before landing, and then check everything carefully. If I'd just assumed I was good to go because the check to TD was withdrawn from my local bank account, we'd have a nasty surprise at that appointment. There was another issue with the credit union's debit cards that was pure idiocy on their parts but if I hadn't double-checked my PIN at an ATM we would have found out there that our cards were deactivated (they had sent everyone new cards with chips and deactivated the old non-chip ones - but they never ordered chips cards for us and still deactivated them).

Finally, in the morning we have to check on a possible issue with the transfer I did from the local bank to the credit union. FUN. We may have to do a last-minute withdrawal and deposit of cash between accounts on our way out of town to keep foreign transaction fees minimized.

This is a preview of me crossing the border tomorrow:

Do they let you answer the landing questions while laying on the ground like that?
Hang in there.

I actually brought cash just for account opening purposes on our earlier trips. My "full-time" arrival next month will be a lot less stressful because it's over and done.

katiegud

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
For proof of funds, if I get the letters from the bank is that all I need? Or will I need those and bank statements? I also have multiple bank accounts, but we have the minimum in just a couple of them. One of them is in the UK (went to grad school there), so getting the letter is harder. If I don't need that account, do I still need to get a letter from them?

Next question, I have letters from all of my employers. Do I also need other documentation? I might have pay stubs, but one of these jobs is from 10 years ago and I don't know how much I have.

Thanks!

kynno

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
USA
NOC Code......
For proof of funds, if I get the letters from the bank is that all I need? Or will I need those and bank statements? I also have multiple bank accounts, but we have the minimum in just a couple of them. One of them is in the UK (went to grad school there), so getting the letter is harder. If I don't need that account, do I still need to get a letter from them?

Next question, I have letters from all of my employers. Do I also need other documentation? I might have pay stubs, but one of these jobs is from 10 years ago and I don't know how much I have.

Thanks!
For POF, you need both the letters and the statements (only 6 months worth). I don't know that you need to declare all you accounts except for those that has the funds required but if it help shows that you have way more than the required fund...then why not!

For employment, it is both the letter and pay stubs. I provided CIC with 3 months worth.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
Got my Canadian bank account hooked up to pay tuition electronically. Paid my rent deposits with it electronically too. Advice to everybody - get it done. Life is so much easier once you have it.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017

Thanks!
We didn't submit any bank statements, just letters from two banks we have accounts with. We have other accounts that I ignored. One account we included had enough funds on its own so we probably could have just used it but the other bank has our mortgage so we threw that in too. Both letters included every single detail CIC wanted. For pay stubs, we only included 4 recent ones and that was only because the letter from the employer didn't expand on what benefits were included, so those showed that it was medical, dental, 401k, etc. Otherwise the employer letter ticked all the boxes too. And, well, we're sitting here in Toronto with stamped COPRs on the other side of the room :)

Reactions: katiegud

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Some landing notes:

We almost had trouble about the car! :eek::eek::eek: At the booth you drive by, we were told we'd have to import the car then but could change the plates later. I said that's not what we had read but she was firm about what she said. I stayed polite and calm (uh, outwardly, inside I was freaking out that I was wrong) and said we'd talk to the people inside at customs, where we were already going to go. She was very nice though and we joked about not carrying cash when she asked how much we were bringing, because I wasn't sure if it was the checking if we needed to declare having over $10k or if it was a check on our settlement funds (in which case "uhh, $50ish?" would have been a problem!). Once we were inside and were called up, we brought the car issue up and the woman there looked at us like we'd said something crazy lol and was like "no, you can't import the car and then use it in the US, you'll just do that when you make the actual move." So that was a relief. I wanted to ask about the next time we go up in January but by the time I had a chance the woman from the booth was right there taking an indoor shift! So, uh, we'll wing that.

Otherwise the landing itself was fine. Do account for it taking a while. They took our papers back and made copies and I don't know what else but we were probably there for at least 45 minutes. Luckily the others waiting were very nice and one gave us tips about Toronto and another offered to let our daughter pet her dog. There was also a TV playing a soccer match. We had some discussion with the border officer helping us about if we should stamp the B4s then or when we moved, and we asked to just stamp them then because I'd heard later could be a problem. She did think we might have a problem if we didn't have an address to give for our PR card but another officer by her said it was no problem to give an address later (like I'd read) and they'd rather wait on a permanent address than use a friend or relative's address (or an airbnb address, like I was thinking I might be stuck giving and then changing after asking a Canadian friend for theirs!). We don't even need the PR cards anytime soon so we have no problem waiting. From what I've read, we'll have to reapply for the cards and pay a small fee if we wait over 180 days to give an address but we should have something by then, or if not I'll use a friend's address.

Once out of there, we realized our TravelPass option with Verizon wasn't working. I called them with what signal could get from the US to Windsor and we worked it out. In short you have to activate roaming, change the network options to include GSM, then restart the phone and a few minutes after the restart, it should start picking up Canadian networks. We had activated roaming and tried different network options before but hadn't thought to try restarting after (and then waiting, it takes a good 2 minutes after to work).

The next morning we opened our bank account, but we couldn't put money in just yet and since we hadn't gotten SINs yet and didn't have a Canadian address, we couldn't start the credit card or activate overdraft protection (we had planned to get SINs before the bank appointment but we all slept in). We have two years to apply for the credit card with the newcomer's package so no big deal, we'll go back when we're ready and should get it without a problem. We'll also pick up checks next time we're around. They're ordered and will be held at the bank as long as needed. We got temporary web and phone banking pass codes and tried setting up a transfer from TD US to TD Canada once back at the airbnb and the sites kept sending me in circles. I finally called the help line for cross-border banking (call using the TD app, you probably can't get the TD Canada app at least on a US phone btw but each lets you skip waiting). They were SO helpful. It turns out you can only set up transfers online for Canada to the US - the other way you have to call in. The first call takes some time to set up, but future calls should only be about 6 minutes each I was told. Don't forget to turn off paper statements on your TD US account! We transferred all but $101 to stay above our min balance requirement and the man helping me reminded me because he's seen other customers get maintenance fees after doing what we did and ending up just under the min after the $1/month paper statement fee.

Getting SINs was simple. We presented our passports and COPRs, waited about 10 minutes (after being 9th in line, go Service Canada!), and were called back. We had to fill out forms with parents' names so that was all confirmed and we got printouts with the numbers at the end. We needed Canadian addresses but were told they don't send anything so the airbnb one was fine. Okie dokie. US phone numbers were okay though so we just used those.

So far in general everyone's been unbelievably nice, and we're loving Toronto. The subway was very clean and nice. Between how much time we (don't) have and not having an easy way to put down a deposit, I doubt we'll leave here with a lease so we'll probably do a longer trip later in January to hopefully finalize something.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
Some landing notes:

We almost had trouble about the car! :eek::eek::eek: At the booth you drive by, we were told we'd have to import the car then but could change the plates later. I said that's not what we had read but she was firm about what she said. I stayed polite and calm (uh, outwardly, inside I was freaking out that I was wrong) and said we'd talk to the people inside at customs, where we were already going to go. She was very nice though and we joked about not carrying cash when she asked how much we were bringing, because I wasn't sure if it was the checking if we needed to declare having over $10k or if it was a check on our settlement funds (in which case "uhh, $50ish?" would have been a problem!). Once we were inside and were called up, we brought the car issue up and the woman there looked at us like we'd said something crazy lol and was like "no, you can't import the car and then use it in the US, you'll just do that when you make the actual move." So that was a relief. I wanted to ask about the next time we go up in January but by the time I had a chance the woman from the booth was right there taking an indoor shift! So, uh, we'll wing that.

Otherwise the landing itself was fine. Do account for it taking a while. They took our papers back and made copies and I don't know what else but we were probably there for at least 45 minutes. Luckily the others waiting were very nice and one gave us tips about Toronto and another offered to let our daughter pet her dog. There was also a TV playing a soccer match. We had some discussion with the border officer helping us about if we should stamp the B4s then or when we moved, and we asked to just stamp them then because I'd heard later could be a problem. She did think we might have a problem if we didn't have an address to give for our PR card but another officer by her said it was no problem to give an address later (like I'd read) and they'd rather wait on a permanent address than use a friend or relative's address (or an airbnb address, like I was thinking I might be stuck giving and then changing after asking a Canadian friend for theirs!). We don't even need the PR cards anytime soon so we have no problem waiting. From what I've read, we'll have to reapply for the cards and pay a small fee if we wait over 180 days to give an address but we should have something by then, or if not I'll use a friend's address.

Once out of there, we realized our TravelPass option with Verizon wasn't working. I called them with what signal could get from the US to Windsor and we worked it out. In short you have to activate roaming, change the network options to include GSM, then restart the phone and a few minutes after the restart, it should start picking up Canadian networks. We had activated roaming and tried different network options before but hadn't thought to try restarting after (and then waiting, it takes a good 2 minutes after to work).

The next morning we opened our bank account, but we couldn't put money in just yet and since we hadn't gotten SINs yet and didn't have a Canadian address, we couldn't start the credit card or activate overdraft protection (we had planned to get SINs before the bank appointment but we all slept in). We have two years to apply for the credit card with the newcomer's package so no big deal, we'll go back when we're ready and should get it without a problem. We'll also pick up checks next time we're around. They're ordered and will be held at the bank as long as needed. We got temporary web and phone banking pass codes and tried setting up a transfer from TD US to TD Canada once back at the airbnb and the sites kept sending me in circles. I finally called the help line for cross-border banking (call using the TD app, you probably can't get the TD Canada app at least on a US phone btw but each lets you skip waiting). They were SO helpful. It turns out you can only set up transfers online for Canada to the US - the other way you have to call in. The first call takes some time to set up, but future calls should only be about 6 minutes each I was told. Don't forget to turn off paper statements on your TD US account! We transferred all but $101 to stay above our min balance requirement and the man helping me reminded me because he's seen other customers get maintenance fees after doing what we did and ending up just under the min after the $1/month paper statement fee.

Getting SINs was simple. We presented our passports and COPRs, waited about 10 minutes (after being 9th in line, go Service Canada!), and were called back. We had to fill out forms with parents' names so that was all confirmed and we got printouts with the numbers at the end. We needed Canadian addresses but were told they don't send anything so the airbnb one was fine. Okie dokie. US phone numbers were okay though so we just used those.

So far in general everyone's been unbelievably nice, and we're loving Toronto. The subway was very clean and nice. Between how much time we (don't) have and not having an easy way to put down a deposit, I doubt we'll leave here with a lease so we'll probably do a longer trip later in January to hopefully finalize something.
Toronto was much nicer than I thought it would be. People here compare it to New York City, and NYC doesn't impress me. I'm not sure where I think it is like, but it's much nicer than NYC

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
Some landing notes:

Did you include the car on your goods to follow list then? Or is there another form I should bring as well? I'm flying in for my soft landing on Thursday, but I want to make sure I don't create any issues for later when I drive my car up and land permanently.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
That's good to hear! That's what we're doing too. Serial numbers on electronics, individual line item for big stuff (sofa, furniture, etc), and just # of boxes for the rest. We'll find out if that's good enough in 2 weeks. :)

We don't have to be specific on $ value, right? Because we have no real idea what these things are actually worth. We're just guessing for everything.
No need to be specific on $ value. If you are going to insure for transportation, use insurance values since insurance company may look at goods to follow.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Did you include the car on your goods to follow list then? Or is there another form I should bring as well? I'm flying in for my soft landing on Thursday, but I want to make sure I don't create any issues for later when I drive my car up and land permanently.
I included both our cars on goods to follow list. I pointed it out to the customs dude and he made a note of it in the actual form he filled.

fbm110

Jun 9, 2017
Anyone have any experience bringing a UHaul across the border? We just received our COPR and planning on landing this weekend. We were thinking of entering canada and renting a UHaul from here and then going back to the US with an empty uhaul and coming back to canada with our stuff. That way we can return the UHaul at the same location as its wayy cheaper than returning the uhaul across border.

kynno

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
USA
NOC Code......
What is the process if you land with a rental car from the US and return it in Canada? I've read somewhere on the forum that it is do-able. That's what I'm thinking about doing as I will move permanently whenever I do my landing.