+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
@trumprefugee Kijii. 3rd floor in high rise. $1900 furnished including all utilities but no parking. I watched new posts daily, responding to ones in the areas I wanted. There weren't that many, and I'd estimate 20% scams, 60% realtors, 20% owners. I am very near the College subway stop.

Reactions: trumprefugee

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
Hello again everyone!

It’s happening! I have a job interview in Vancouver and based on the recommendations from here I am going to do my landing when I fly in for the interview instead of waiting. However, here is my question, can everyone who has landed or has read other landing stories give me an estimate of how long I should expect the process to take?

I’ll be landing in YVR in the late AM and have my interview the same day in the late afternoon. I want to make sure I won’t be cutting it too close to my interview. :/

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
Hello again everyone!

It’s happening! I have a job interview in Vancouver and based on the recommendations from here I am going to do my landing when I fly in for the interview instead of waiting. However, here is my question, can everyone who has landed or has read other landing stories give me an estimate of how long I should expect the process to take?

I’ll be landing in YVR in the late AM and have my interview the same day in the late afternoon. I want to make sure I won’t be cutting it too close to my interview. :/
I would say landing + customs took an 30 mins to a hour or so in Toronto. The actual process is fast. Its just walking from initial immigration to landing officer, then walking to customs officers. Custom officer making copies of goods to follow etc.

Don't forget to make your goods to follow list!

BrittanyElaina

Jul 18, 2017
California, USA
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
Med's Done....
18-07-2017
I would say landing + customs took an 30 mins to a hour or so in Toronto. The actual process is fast. Its just walking from initial immigration to landing officer, then walking to customs officers. Custom officer making copies of goods to follow etc.

Don't forget to make your goods to follow list!
Thank you! I would be okay as long as it takes 2 hours or less and so far I haven't read anyone experience it taking longer than that, but on the CANN website it says it can take up to FOUR hours! I would be an anxious mess running late if it did take that long.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Hello again everyone!

Landing in Vancouver doesn't take long. Maybe 30-45 minutes. That being said, what part of Vancouver is your interview, and what time? I would personally be more concerned with traffic.

chardys

Feb 1, 2017
California, USA
Hello again everyone!

Congratulations on the job interview!

I think the landing itself takes an hour or less, but the risk is rather waiting time in the immigration line; I've often gone through long, long immigration lines at YVR around noon/early afternoon, which I think is when a lot of transpacific flights with tons of passangers are landing. It's probably fine if things go as usual, but it could be a big problem if the flight is delayed a bit, and if it were me I wouldn't want to risk an important job interview in the same afternoon and/or be stressed during the landing process... could you possibly land the night before or schedule the interview the next day?

i_patil

Nov 29, 2017
UNITED STATES
NOC Code......
Hello Guys!

I am new to this group. I just finished my Express Entry application & now waiting for the invitation to apply. My CRS score is 406 which is obviously very low for an invitation. So I signed up for this group to seek help from you guys & of course to help other applicants too. I do have relevant experience of 4+ years. & I feel IELTS is not bad too 7.5

Can you guys please suggest me ways to improve my CRS score? Any help will be much appreciated :) thanks

Is there any WhatsApp group for this forum? I would like to connect there too.

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
On the topic of cell phones and banks...

We switched this year to Project Fi, because they have no extra charges on data when traveling internationally. The $5/day extra charge on Verizon for 3 phones during a 2 week trip this summer was crazy. However, it's my understanding that Google doesn't offer the service in Canada :(. So we'll need to switch once we are finally able to move. Does anyone have suggestions on which cell company we should go with, or at least which ones to steer clear of?

Same for banks! It seems like most are ok, but any to definitely steer clear of?

Actually, anyone know of any other companies in any industry that have horrendous reputations and which new unaware migrants should definitely stay clear of?

Thank you!

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
On the topic of cell phones and banks...

We switched this year to Project Fi, because they have no extra charges on data when traveling internationally. The $5/day extra charge on Verizon for 3 phones during a 2 week trip this summer was crazy. However, it's my understanding that Google doesn't offer the service in Canada :(. So we'll need to switch once we are finally able to move. Does anyone have suggestions on which cell company we should go with, or at least which ones to steer clear of?

Same for banks! It seems like most are ok, but any to definitely steer clear of?

Actually, anyone know of any other companies in any industry that have horrendous reputations and which new unaware migrants should definitely stay clear of?

Thank you!
I think bank service is more of a branch to branch issue then a corporate wide. So far it looks like all Canadian banks except online ones have a lot of nickel & dime sort of charges.

If you want to maintain a US presence too, I suggest you look at Tmobile. Their US receptions might not be greatest but in Canada it is great because they roam on others.

canada_eagle

Nov 17, 2016
TLDR; Go to RBC branch while you are there to open US & Canada account for free money transfer.

Yikes. I should have gone into a Rbc branch in Canada while I was there. They would have opened a account in Canada and US for me letting me transfer funds between them for free. I can't do it online or over the phone.

Td usa cannot open a account for me over phone since their system has a fraud alert on file for me. I called all 3 credit bureaus and the lexis nexis the company they use but to no avail.

XE & transferwise have too many red flags online for me to trust with larger transfers. For eg. they always debit your account before they ask for additional ID and such. So your money is stuck in purgatory while this process goes on.

So I guess I am stuck with wire transfers.

kynno

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
USA
NOC Code......
Hello Guys!

I am new to this group. I just finished my Express Entry application & now waiting for the invitation to apply. My CRS score is 406 which is obviously very low for an invitation. So I signed up for this group to seek help from you guys & of course to help other applicants too. I do have relevant experience of 4+ years. & I feel IELTS is not bad too 7.5

Can you guys please suggest me ways to improve my CRS score? Any help will be much appreciated :) thanks

Is there any WhatsApp group for this forum? I would like to connect there too.
Hi there and welcome to the thread. Without knowing a bit more details about you, it would be hard to tell. However, I've been told that one of the fastest, if not the fastest/easiest way to improve your score is to max out the IELTS test. Some have suggested taking both language tests if you are fluent in French as well (because every little bit helps). Other option is to look at PNP nominations but that's not entirely up to you and from my understanding, it can take a while as well. I'm not expert so I'm sure someone else might be able to bring up other ideas.

JERiv

Star Member
Jul 4, 2017
Texas
I think bank service is more of a branch to branch issue then a corporate wide. So far it looks like all Canadian banks except online ones have a lot of nickel & dime sort of charges.

If you want to maintain a US presence too, I suggest you look at Tmobile. Their US receptions might not be greatest but in Canada it is great because they roam on others.
I gathered that on the nickel & dime charges. Shoot. Then again, US banks do the same thing, although they were much worse 10 years ago or so.

Thanks for the tip on Tmobile. I'm going to attempt to keep Fi, but I'm guessing they'll kick us out once we move. Once they do, I'll definitely look into it as our first option.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
I gathered that on the nickel & dime charges. Shoot. Then again, US banks do the same thing, although they were much worse 10 years ago or so.

Thanks for the tip on Tmobile. I'm going to attempt to keep Fi, but I'm guessing they'll kick us out once we move. Once they do, I'll definitely look into it as our first option.
On a verizon family plan with a large amount of data (we share with the parents and sister) Canada is included in the plan. So worth checking if you are a high data user.

The fees on TD bank cross border banking between US and Canada all seem to be waived. And the exchange rates seem reasonable. My landlord seems to get much poorer rates with Scotia bank.

Disclaimer - I'm hardly an expert, just sharing my limited experience so far.