+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Applicants

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
Hi there.
I want to share the information that I received calling to CBSA, and to a senior officer. U.S nationals are able to cross certain ground borders, which had the newest updates. They do have really strange schedules, therefore call before you go ahead to cross via ground border, they are no operating 7/24. I used to live in Montreal with a work visa before the pandemic started. As a new doctoral student, my Graduate Lab is open and therefore I need to be there for my doctoral studies (I got the support letters). Therefore my case is no-discretionary and have some chances to be granted. Unfortunately, I have only the AIP letter so far and I don't think the SP will be issued any time soon.
Also, I had received information from a lawyer that several U.S students had been granted their SP and WP at POE.
I will try next month and will be happy to share my experience.
All the best
If I were you, I would go for it. Sounds likely that you'll get the SP at the border. Are you far from the border? I'm a US citizen but a current expat in Singapore, so it's too much of a trek for me to attempt, but if I lived in the US I would.

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
If I were you, I would go for it. Sounds likely that you'll get the SP at the border. Are you far from the border? I'm a US citizen but a current expat in Singapore, so it's too much of a trek for me to attempt, but if I lived in the US I would.
Thank you so much for your comment! It is really refreshing to receive positive comments amid these decisions.
I am in a situation like you, currently in Finland. Therefore I will take the risk to travel next week to NYC and then my friends will drive me over the NY-QB border. Which is like 6 hours drive.
I guess my biggest doubt will be if I need two quarantine twice, once I land in NYC (at my friend's apartment) and then obviously in Montreal. I do have a very clear self -isolation plan and a place to complete them, but I guess we don't have a choice but do double isolation.

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
Thank you so much for your comment! It is really refreshing to receive positive comments amid these decisions.
I am in a situation like you, currently in Finland. Therefore I will take the risk to travel next week to NYC and then my friends will drive me over the NY-QB border. Which is like 6 hours drive.
I guess my biggest doubt will be if I need two quarantine twice, once I land in NYC (at my friend's apartment) and then obviously in Montreal. I do have a very clear self -isolation plan and a place to complete them, but I guess we don't have a choice but do double isolation.
Actually, you don't have to quarantine in New York. I've had friends land in NY and LAX and Boston and it's business as usual, they haven't been asked a lot of questions, no mention of quarantine, etc.

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
Actually, you don't have to quarantine in New York. I've had friends land in NY and LAX and Boston and it's business as usual, they haven't been asked a lot of questions, no mention of quarantine, etc.
Though how will you friend drive you over the border? Are they Canadian or some how able to get in?

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
There are rental companies that allow one way rentals. There is an additional fee involved but it's not a deal breaker imho.

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
Though how will you friend drive you over the border? Are they Canadian or some how able to get in?
Yes, I used to live there, my partner and good friends live there. They will pick me up on the other side of the border. The officer told me that you can actually walk only through the CBSA offices.

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
Thank you! This is really helpful information!