+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Applicants

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Where does it state that even in normal times Americans can apply for a study permit right at the border without any prior approval at all? Then at least there is something to start with. Applying at the border is one thing (and I made no claim about that but am curious to learn more) and entering without approval is another.

I am also looking for a link - I had an immigration lawyer tell me today that POE applicants from the US have been successful, but it’s still up to the officer and therefore risky. Unfortunately I can’t find anything online about it - but as hjkojima mentioned, it’s probably kept on the down low.

hjkojima

Aug 10, 2020
Where does it state that even in normal times Americans can apply for a study permit right at the border without any prior approval at all? Then at least there is something to start with. Applying at the border is one thing (and I made no claim about that but am curious to learn more) and entering without approval is another.
Just google Canadian study permit at port of entry

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/making-application.html

Scroll down to “applying at POE.”

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
OK, so Americans and US PRs can apply at PoE during normal times. I did not know nor did I claim anything about this. But for sure no upcoming students, including Americans, can enter Canada without approval, simply with AIP/phase 1. Perhaps it was the incorrect wording some used.

But yes, apparently one can apply for a study permit at PoE if one is American citizen or permanent resident per exception R214. Whether this applies during this time of COVID I don't know. I just chimed in because how two posts were worded by Jody was simply factually incorrect.

I will as foreign national try to enter Canada through the US next month. My study permit was already approved early April, so, it's a different case than what OP asked about. I am also an upcoming grad student conducting research in BC.

Last edited:

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
OK, so Americans and US PRs can apply at PoE during normal times. I did not know nor did I claim anything about this. But for sure no upcoming students, including Americans, can enter Canada without approval, simply with AIP/phase 1. Perhaps it was the incorrect wording some used.

But yes, apparently one can apply for a study permit at PoE if one is American citizen or permanent resident per exception R214. Whether this applies during this time of COVID I don't know. I just chimed in because how two posts were worded by Jody was simply factually incorrect.

I will as foreign national try to enter Canada through the US next month. My study permit was already approved early April, so, it's a different case than what OP asked about. I am also an upcoming grad student conducting research in BC.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to find out as well. It seems like it’s one of those things that you can take a chance on (by you I mean US citizens) but it’s a big risk. The lawyer mentioned that many people were trying to do it this way, though.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Well many people do all sorts of things, get turned down, and never speak of it or share. It's usually the extraordinary cases that make it into public realm. I would be careful what lawyers say on this. Lawyers are like used car salesmen or property agents, in that they have a vested interests and are trained to skirt the rules and say all sorts of things all day if it fits with their financial interest. For this procedure no lawyer would ever be needed and hence how would a lawyer know. It's not like they undergo the actual experience of applying in person. How would they know? If lawyers stated that they got a lot of inquiries then that's a different issue and they can comment as far as inquiries are concerned . But they most definitely don't have any sort of secret antenna or back channel to CBSA. If you can read then you know the exact same than those lawyers on this particular issue. Canada immigration made sure that even someone with an IQ of 50 understands and can fill out immigration (temporary or permanent) documents him or herself.

Certainly can you take a chance, but as it's not well documented and the only stories out there on this issue are pure hearsay and stories by some with obscure vested interests, so, it's nonetheless a risk. But if you are currently in the US then it's not like a world trip for you. I am European with approved study permit, living in Hong Kong and look to enter Canada through the US because in this case the approval date is irrelevant. I only need to convince the agent my travel is essential in nature. However, despite there being written guidelines that support my plans and intents there is not much evidence it works at all. It's a significant risk to try. But the difference is your travel might be significantly less costly than mine.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to find out as well. It seems like it’s one of those things that you can take a chance on (by you I mean US citizens) but it’s a big risk. The lawyer mentioned that many people were trying to do it this way, though.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Well many people do all sorts of things, get turned down, and never speak of it or share. It's usually the extraordinary cases that make it into public realm. I would be careful what lawyers say on this. Lawyers are like used car salesmen or property agents, in that they have a vested interests and are trained to skirt the rules and say all sorts of things all day if it fits with their financial interest. For this procedure no lawyer would ever be needed and hence how would a lawyer know. It's not like they undergo the actual experience of applying in person. How would they know? If lawyers stated that they got a lot of inquiries then that's a different issue and they can comment as far as inquiries are concerned . But they most definitely don't have any sort of secret antenna or back channel to CBSA. If you can read then you know the exact same than those lawyers on this particular issue. Canada immigration made sure that even someone with an IQ of 50 understands and can fill out immigration (temporary or permanent) documents him or herself.

Certainly can you take a chance, but as it's not well documented and the only stories out there on this issue are pure hearsay and stories by some with obscure vested interests, so, it's nonetheless a risk. But if you are currently in the US then it's not like a world trip for you. I am European with approved study permit, living in Hong Kong and look to enter Canada through the US because in this case the approval date is irrelevant. I only need to convince the agent my travel is essential in nature. However, despite there being written guidelines that support my plans and intents there is not much evidence it works at all. It's a significant risk to try. But the difference is your travel might be significantly less costly than mine.
Totally. Thankfully the lawyer told me “you can do this yourself” and then told me the “key element” which is a letter from my school stating in-person courses/program. That made me trust the lawyer a bit more because he wasn’t telling me I needed a lawyer, and even said “not even a lawyer can guarantee this.” It’s just up to the officer.

Hope your trip works out and you’re able to get through and study. You’re right - my risk is lower than yours. Unfortunately the US has been doing the exact opposite of what might give me a better chance, but somehow I may have a way to start my studies there if the officer deems my travel non-discretionary.

Reactions: Matt173

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Just my own personal understanding of many dozen cases of those who crossed into Canada is that if one is graduate student and performs research and has a letter from the advisor or university is in most cases accepted as being essential. Then grad students with in person classes and a letter stating such. Then undergrads with in person classes with a letter. All else appears higher risk. All just my sense of how things are taken at the border. Good luck to you, too.

Totally. Thankfully the lawyer told me “you can do this yourself” and then told me the “key element” which is a letter from my school stating in-person courses/program. That made me trust the lawyer a bit more because he wasn’t telling me I needed a lawyer, and even said “not even a lawyer can guarantee this.” It’s just up to the officer.

Hope your trip works out and you’re able to get through and study. You’re right - my risk is lower than yours. Unfortunately the US has been doing the exact opposite of what might give me a better chance, but somehow I may have a way to start my studies there if the officer deems my travel non-discretionary.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Just my own personal understanding of many dozen cases of those who crossed into Canada is that if one is graduate student and performs research and has a letter from the advisor or university is in most cases accepted as being essential. Then grad students with in person classes and a letter stating such. Then undergrads with in person classes with a letter. All else appears higher risk. All just my sense of how things are taken at the border. Good luck to you, too.
Yes, that’s my hope since that’s my situation - however, not having the full study permit approval is the riskiest part for me. Hopefully once I’m there things will start making more sense and they can take my new application into consideration.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, that’s my hope since that’s my situation - however, not having the full study permit approval is the riskiest part for me. Hopefully once I’m there things will start making more sense and they can take my new application into consideration.
Is your attendence in person necessary? Will you have proof from your school that your schooling is not only online? That is the second part of the equation. Being able to get a permit is only onw factor.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Is your attendence in person necessary? Will you have proof from your school that your schooling is not only online? That is the second part of the equation. Being able to get a permit is only onw factor.
Doing my best to secure this at the moment! I heard this was a key element.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
I respect your opinions & advice here @canuck78

But isn't it ironic that Canadians are concerned about all other students from different parts of the world bringing Covid into their country, but they're fine with students from the US bringing the same Covid inside?

That's exactly what double standards mean.

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
Hi Matt,

Americans do not (in normal times) require a visa to enter Canada. We just need a passport. We can also (before COVID) apply for study and work permits at the border.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html

Reactions: Bishops2020

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
And Canadians don't even need study permits to study in the USA! They just need an eligibility form that they get from their school. So a bit more of a process for us Americans to get there than for them to get here. (In normal times).

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Americans can enter Canada with a passport, only, for tourist purposes. That does not apply to studies, though. To study Americans need, like everyone else, a valid study permit. That, during normal times, Americans seem to be able to get at the border. I never claimed otherwise, by the way... I was perhaps being overly pedantic on wording when I said that not even Americans can enter Canada to study with just the AIP. They still need to apply for the study permit, albeit conveniently at the border (during normal times). God knows whether such can be done these days.

Hi Matt,

Americans do not (in normal times) require a visa to enter Canada. We just need a passport. We can also (before COVID) apply for study and work permits at the border.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/apply.html