+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Applicants

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Americans can enter Canada with a passport, only, for tourist purposes. That does not apply to studies, though. To study Americans need, like everyone else, a valid study permit. That, during normal times, Americans seem to be able to get at the border. I never claimed otherwise, by the way... I was perhaps being overly pedantic on wording when I said that not even Americans can enter Canada to study with just the AIP. They still need to apply for the study permit, albeit conveniently at the border (during normal times). God knows whether such can be done these days.
US nationals whose study permits were applied for have entered Canada in the last few days and are quaranting at my daughter's university. They had to pay again for study permit applications which were granted at point of entry. They all of course had CAQs too. For many, it's even their nearest higher education establishment to home.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Hold on, I am confused. First you say they entered Canada without their study permit application being approved. Then you said their study permit applications were granted at the point of entry. Does not compute for me...

US nationals whose study permits were applied for have entered Canada in the last few days and are quaranting at my daughter's university. They had to pay again for study permit applications which were granted at point of entry. They all of course had CAQs too. For many, it's even their nearest higher education establishment to home.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Hold on, I am confused. First you say they entered Canada without their study permit application being approved. Then you said their study permit applications were granted at the point of entry. Does not compute for me...
All US nationals were advised to apply for study permits and of course none have been approved since 18 March 2020. So they have arrived at the border with outstanding study permit applications and the CAQs they needed to study in Quebec, their letters of acceptance from the university, their quarantine plans, their letters of support explaining their university has in person classes they have to attend, they have applied at the border yet again for a study permit, been charged a second application fee, received study permits at the border, have proceeded to campus, are now in single rooms in a separate residence to other students who arrive in 2 weeks, are having meals delivered to outside their doors. Amen. Lucky new students from the USA.

• Love
Reactions: resilientflora

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
How do you know none have been approved. If other nationals have been approved what makes you claim all US nationals have not been approved. I am a non US national and was approved exactly April 10.

And the rest of your story is exactly as described by me. Some US nationals applied for a study permit at the border. I simply corrected wording by another user who suggested that US nationals can enter Canada to study only with their AIP. Call me pedantic but imho accurate wording matters.

All US nationals were advised to apply for study permits and of course none have been approved since 18 March 2020. So they have arrived at the border with outstanding study permit applications and the CAQs they needed to study in Quebec, their letters of acceptance from the university, their quarantine plans, their letters of support explaining their university has in person classes they have to attend, they have applied at the border yet again for a study permit, been charged a second application fee, received study permits at the border, have proceeded to campus, are now in single rooms in a separate residence to other students who arrive in 2 weeks, are having meals delivered to outside their doors. Amen. Lucky new students from the USA.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
How do you know none have been approved. If other nationals have been approved what makes you claim all US nationals have not been approved. I am a non US national and was approved exactly April 10.

And the rest of your story is exactly as described by me. Some US nationals applied for a study permit at the border. I simply corrected wording by another user who suggested that US nationals can enter Canada to study only with their AIP. Call me pedantic but imho accurate wording matters.
After days of digging through this forum and others, I haven’t found a single US citizen who applied after March 18 and was approved. It’s completely possible that people have, but I personally have not seen/heard of any.

This is really great to hear! May I ask you some more direct questions about this? I’m planning to take this risk myself next week and would really appreciate some more information.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
After days of digging through this forum and others, I haven’t found a single US citizen who applied after March 18 and was approved. It’s completely possible that people have, but I personally have not seen/heard of any.

This is really great to hear! May I ask you some more direct questions about this? I’m planning to take this risk myself next week and would really appreciate some more information.
Phone CBSA at your point of entry.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Phone CBSA at your point of entry.
Hi, I’m actually more curious to know about the experience of it. I’ve dialed the CBSA with no response and it seems like the bottom line is “it’s up to the border officer,” which I understand so it would just be helpful to have some perspective from someone (your daughter) who has already been through it.

Edit: I just realized you said other people went through this process, not necessarily your daughter. I’m guessing she got in with an approved study permit?

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Hi, I’m actually more curious to know about the experience of it. I’ve dialed the CBSA with no response and it seems like the bottom line is “it’s up to the border officer,” which I understand so it would just be helpful to have some perspective from someone (your daughter) who has already been through it.

Edit: I just realized you said other people went through this process, not necessarily your daughter. I’m guessing she got in with an approved study permit?
My daughter is an EU national and her study permit has not been approved. She cannot even get on the plane and neither can she study the obligatory classes she must do this semester, but the US students doing the same in person classes have been able to arrive without study permits approved as they bought new ones at the border.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
My daughter is an EU national and her study permit has not been approved. She cannot even get on the plane and neither can she study the obligatory classes she must do this semester, but the US students doing the same in person classes have been able to arrive without study permits approved as they bought new ones at the border.
Oh darn, that’s frustrating. :( I’m sorry to hear that. Apparently some parents in the US petitioned for this and fought for it, not sure if that’s available to any organizations near you to try and do as well. I’m guessing the US has and will have a bit more leeway in these kinds of things. Wishing you and your daughter the best!

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020

My daughter is at a small university which has a total of about 500 international students, so about 100 new undergraduate international students in a normal year, of which around 25 are from the USA. Only one of the new undergraduate international students managed to get their study permit approved before 18th March 2020, not a US national.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I am sorry to say this, but i dont think current government gives any F about these news channels.
Don’t be sorry, it’s not about the news channels. It’s about feeling validated that, yes, this process is confusing. And yes, people are getting in through this process even though others are not. Nothing to do with what the government cares about, just the results of real experiences. At least, that’s what it is for me.

Cadadosis

Sep 7, 2020
Hi there.
I want to share the information that I received calling to CBSA, and to a senior officer. U.S nationals are able to cross certain ground borders, which had the newest updates. They do have really strange schedules, therefore call before you go ahead to cross via ground border, they are no operating 7/24. I used to live in Montreal with a work visa before the pandemic started. As a new doctoral student, my Graduate Lab is open and therefore I need to be there for my doctoral studies (I got the support letters). Therefore my case is no-discretionary and have some chances to be granted. Unfortunately, I have only the AIP letter so far and I don't think the SP will be issued any time soon.
Also, I had received information from a lawyer that several U.S students had been granted their SP and WP at POE.
I will try next month and will be happy to share my experience.
All the best