+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**urgent** Withdrawal process

SinDarella41

Jul 17, 2023
***urgent**

Hi Everyone,

Need your assistance with an important decision.

I made a refugee claim in April 2023. Received my RP document in August. no hearing date scheduled yet and i dont see any scope given the number of claims made.

My mother is back in my home country and currently diagnosed with a sever illness. I am the only child and she has no one to look after. I am considering withdrawing my claim here (although going back to my country is a huge risk but my heart sinks knowing my mom is alone during this sever illness). Please note i am a single mother with a 9 year old kid. so the pain of not having someone to share a bond with syncs well with me.

When i first came to Canada - i started dating a man who is a permanent resident. we were considering to get married in Jan 2024. we both come from same country.

Q1: If i marry my partner - can he sponsor me in future incase we wish to live in Canada ( not immediately but once my mother is in good health)?

Q2: Can i mention this reason for withdrawal as "medical emergency"? and request them to keep my visitor record active?

Q3: Do i need to inform the IRCC about my plans of getting married to my partner? will it impact his status (PR)?

Q4: My kid's passports expires next month - would it cause any issue if we were leave in January but the passport expires? what are the issues or possible ways to extend the passport?

Please advise?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
***urgent**

Hi Everyone,

I made a refugee claim in April 2023. Received my RP document in August. no hearing date scheduled yet and i dont see any scope given the number of claims made.

My mother is back in my home country and currently diagnosed with a sever illness. I am the only child and she has no one to look after. I am considering withdrawing my claim here (although going back to my country is a huge risk but my heart sinks knowing my mom is alone during this sever illness). Please note i am a single mother with a 9 year old kid. so the pain of not having someone to share a bond with syncs well with me.

When i first came to Canada - i started dating a man who is a permanent resident. we were considering to get married in Jan 2024. we both come from same country.

Q1: If i marry my partner - can he sponsor me in future incase we wish to live in Canada ( not immediately but once my mother is in good health)?

Q2: Can i mention this reason for withdrawal as "medical emergency"? and request them to keep my visitor record active?

Q3: Do i need to inform the IRCC about my plans of getting married to my partner? will it impact his status (PR)?

Q4: My kid's passports expires next month - would it cause any issue if we were leave in January but the passport expires? what are the issues or possible ways to extend the passport?

Please advise?
I’m sorry to hear about your mother. Have your claim been considered for expedited processing? If not it will be regular processing and you are right to assume that it may be quite some time until you get a hearing especially given the very high number of applicants. It would be over a year until you get a hearing. Even if you are considered for expedited hearing it could still be 6+ months until your hearing. If you return to your home country and use your home country passport you would be at risk of losing your status in Canada even if you were approved as a protected person due to cessation of status.

1. yes you can be sponsored by your partner. As a PR they would need to sponsor you while in Canada. A short vacation or 2-3 weeks appears to not be an issue. There will be extra scrutiny of your application given the circumstances but as long as you can prove that you are in a genuine relationship and marriage and you both meet the requirement to go through the sponsorship process it should be fine.

2. yes I would explain why you are withdrawing you application and would even consider attaching a proof of her diagnosis or hospitalization. You can request to retain your TRV but there is a very good chance that it will be cancelled.

3. No need to inform IRCC of your future plans when it comes to your relationship.

4. if your child’s passport expires next month you have to leave before it expires. If you don’t leave by then you will have to wait until she gets a new passport before leaving Canada. Depending on your home country you may not be able to get a new passport from Canada or it may take a long time to get a new passport or get temporary travel documents for your child. Assume that you will not enter any other countries that require a passport to has more than 6+ months left on it and that the expiry date and that less than 6+ months shouldn’t be an issue for any transiting countries. Would you be flying to your home country on a direct flight?

Given that your child’s passport expires next month you need to start getting organized and booking things soon if you are planning on leaving. You will need to request the return of your passports from CBSA. The passports will be returned to you and your daughter at the airport right before you board your flight.

Reactions: Mancini

SinDarella41

Jul 17, 2023
I’m sorry to hear about your mother. Have your claim been considered for expedited processing? If not it will be regular processing and you are right to assume that it may be quite some time until you get a hearing especially given the very high number of applicants. It would be over a year until you get a hearing. Even if you are considered for expedited hearing it could still be 6+ months until your hearing. If you return to your home country and use your home country passport you would be at risk of losing your status in Canada even if you were approved as a protected person due to cessation of status.

1. yes you can be sponsored by your partner. As a PR they would need to sponsor you while in Canada. A short vacation or 2-3 weeks appears to not be an issue. There will be extra scrutiny of your application given the circumstances but as long as you can prove that you are in a genuine relationship and marriage and you both meet the requirement to go through the sponsorship process it should be fine.

2. yes I would explain why you are withdrawing you application and would even consider attaching a proof of her diagnosis or hospitalization. You can request to retain your TRV but there is a very good chance that it will be cancelled.

3. No need to inform IRCC of your future plans when it comes to your relationship.

4. if your child’s passport expires next month you have to leave before it expires. If you don’t leave by then you will have to wait until she gets a new passport before leaving Canada. Depending on your home country you may not be able to get a new passport from Canada or it may take a long time to get a new passport or get temporary travel documents for your child. Assume that you will not enter any other countries that require a passport to has more than 6+ months left on it and that the expiry date and that less than 6+ months shouldn’t be an issue for any transiting countries. Would you be flying to your home country on a direct flight?

Given that your child’s passport expires next month you need to start getting organized and booking things soon if you are planning on leaving. You will need to request the return of your passports from CBSA. The passports will be returned to you and your daughter at the airport right before you board your flight.

Thank you for responding..

My partner and i are planning to get married however it will be in my home country now that his parents are also back there.
I would have to live with my mother for a period of atleast an year or so. In the meantime my partner will initiate the process for spousal visa and as we know the timelines for all visa types is almost the same.

Do you know how long after a withdrawal is submitted - are the passports handed over to us directly or at the airport?
I would be taking a connecting flight as there are no direct flights from here.

incase my kids passport expires - do you know what alternate options would they provide?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for responding..

My partner and i are planning to get married however it will be in my home country now that his parents are also back there.
I would have to live with my mother for a period of atleast an year or so. In the meantime my partner will initiate the process for spousal visa and as we know the timelines for all visa types is almost the same.

Do you know how long after a withdrawal is submitted - are the passports handed over to us directly or at the airport?
I would be taking a connecting flight as there are no direct flights from here.

incase my kids passport expires - do you know what alternate options would they provide?
If you don’t leave by the time your child’s passport expires it will become much more complicated which is why you should do everything to leave by next month. Your home country would have to provide you with a new passport or emergency travel documents. You would have to ask the embassy in Canada what would be possible and how long it would it would take. You will have to arrange return of your passports with CBSA and they will meet you at the airport before you board your flight to return them.

Reactions: Mancini

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
***urgent**

Hi Everyone,

Please advise?
All prayers for your mother to recover and be well soon.
You are doing great to decide to be with your mother. Don't worry. Things will be good for sure. Your spouse can initiate the process and you can reunite again in Canada when your mother is better.
Good luck.

SinDarella41

Jul 17, 2023
All prayers for your mother to recover and be well soon.
You are doing great to decide to be with your mother. Don't worry. Things will be good for sure. Your spouse can initiate the process and you can reunite again in Canada when your mother is better.
Good luck.

Thank you so much!

SinDarella41

Jul 17, 2023

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for responding to my questions.
I spoke to the IRB - they gave me a mail id to email a form (withdrawal and mention the reasons for withdrawal)
With regards to my partner - he is working with a lawyer to see if he is able to sponsor me from my home country - we are still working it out with options. lets hope for the best.

Just FYI - incase we are withdrawing a claima and passport are expired.. IRB said they arrange for a special document /renewal in short notice to make the transit easier but one condition is your point of landing (incase of a layover flight) has to be close to your home country - not sure if this makes any sense.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for responding to my questions.
I spoke to the IRB - they gave me a mail id to email a form (withdrawal and mention the reasons for withdrawal)
With regards to my partner - he is working with a lawyer to see if he is able to sponsor me from my home country - we are still working it out with options. lets hope for the best.

Just FYI - incase we are withdrawing a claima and passport are expired.. IRB said they arrange for a special document /renewal in short notice to make the transit easier but one condition is your point of landing (incase of a layover flight) has to be close to your home country - not sure if this makes any sense.
Your home country needs to be the one providing documents for you to go home. Canada may be able to facilitate transit visas but you will need a valid passport from your home country or valid emergency travel documents issued from your home country.