12-05-2017
Med's Done....
12-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited
LANDED..........
Awaited
Hi Everyone,
I applied my PR card renewal in July 2022 but still didn't get anything yet. Now I just came back to my home country for a month. Just wanted to know what happens if they issue new PR card while I am outside canada. Please note my existing PR is still valid for travel till Mar 2023.
If I got approved for new PR card then can I travel to Canada with my existing PR card or I need to get the new PR card here either someone can bring or through courier.
Please please help on this.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,
I applied my PR card renewal in July 2022 but still didn't get anything yet. Now I just came back to my home country for a month. Just wanted to know what happens if they issue new PR card while I am outside canada. Please note my existing PR is still valid for travel till Mar 2023.
If I got approved for new PR card then can I travel to Canada with my existing PR card or I need to get the new PR card here either someone can bring or through courier.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card.

So, if your renewal application is approved (could have been approved already, maybe), your current card (that you have now) will be invalid 60 days AFTER the date that it is ISSUED. If, for example, the renewal has been approved and your new card has been issued (sitting, somewhere), that 60 day clock has already started. PR Cards are only sent to an address in Canada. Some people have them sent to a family member (for example) who then forward them to the PR abroad, but that's a bit risky IMHO, especially since the rules were changed in 2014 and IRCC (then CIC) no longer mails cards to a `third party", which could include a friend or relative that is not at the same address that you provided in your renewal application. Plus, if the courier loses the card, you would have to then apply for a PRTD to be able to return to Canada via a commercial carrier.

Reactions: armoured

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,
Here's someone that may have had trouble getting their new card forwarded by a family member/friend to them:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-my-dad-send-me-the-pr-card-by-dhl-to-outside-canada.778312/

Since the PR Cards now have a RFID chip embedded into the card (as of Nov 2015) it could be detected when clearing customs. Best to contact whichever courier you plan to use now, to find out how to complete the paperwork of what's going to be sent to you. Might be fine to disclose that it is a PR card, but just make sure before it is forwarded to you:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/notice-permanent-resident-card-redesign.html