+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

urgent processing for job

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have seen on forum that people got their citizenship processed faster if citizenship was required for job.

If I get a job offer from US and I fulfill all requirements of TN Visa, can I ask for urgent processing as TN visa requires canadian citizenship ?

mekima

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Doc's Request.
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
24-06-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
LANDED..........
17-03-2015
No. That does not qualify for urgent processing.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No. That does not qualify for urgent processing.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html :
"To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
  • needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
    • avoid losing your job
    • go to a Canadian school, college or university
  • needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality
  • receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but I read that as needing citizenship for a job in such as a Canadian government related job in Canada not a job outside of Canada that is a personal choice and not an emergency. Nothing to lose I guess by trying your luck as nobody here can do more than speculate an outcome.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I have seen on forum that people got their citizenship processed faster if citizenship was required for job.

If I get a job offer from US and I fulfill all requirements of TN Visa, can I ask for urgent processing as TN visa requires canadian citizenship ?
No, it’s been answered dozens of times here. Getting Canadian citizenship so you can move out of Canada to work in another country is not going to get you urgent processing , unless it’s a job from Canadian government or Canadian company and on Canadian payroll

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
"Give me my passport quickly so I get out of this country" is never a clever thing to ask an IRCC officer, regardless of how you spin it.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, it’s been answered dozens of times here. Getting Canadian citizenship so you can move out of Canada to work in another country is not going to get you urgent processing , unless it’s a job from Canadian government or Canadian company and on Canadian payroll
"Give me my passport quickly so I get out of this country" is never a clever thing to ask an IRCC officer, regardless of how you spin it.
TN does not necessarily means someone is leaving the country, thousands of people are living in Canada and working in US sometimes remote or sometimes by crossing the border everday . Winsdor/Detorit , Vancouver/seattle are just 2 examples however not sure how IRCC is going to look into it so I was trying to figure out through the forum if someone has done it before.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As I said all you can do is try your luck and see what happens . Sure someone else may have looked for expedited processing but every application even if a TN were involved would be unique and would not necessarily imply success for you. Until you try then everything else will be speculation. Good luck

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
TN does not necessarily means someone is leaving the country, thousands of people are living in Canada and working in US sometimes remote or sometimes by crossing the border everday . Winsdor/Detorit , Vancouver/seattle are just 2 examples however not sure how IRCC is going to look into it so I was trying to figure out through the forum if someone has done it before.
True, I'm not saying it's specifically your case, but it can be seen that way, and that COULD imply more scrunity into your application, which may result in delays instead of a faster track.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
We both know it’s just BS , right? Without looking into the specifics we can safely say the vast Marjory of TN holders are NOT working in Detroit or Seattle and commuting back to Canada at the end of the day .... it’s like saying someone is buying condom to use it for balloon not for sex. IRCC people are not idiots.... Besides, if you work for an US company remotely in Canada you won’t need TN

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We both know it’s just BS , right? Without looking into the specifics we can safely say the vast Marjory of TN holders are NOT working in Detroit or Seattle and commuting back to Canada at the end of the day .... it’s like saying someone is buying condom to use it for balloon not for sex. IRCC people are not idiots.... Besides, if you work for an US company remotely in Canada you won’t need TN
I have checked this, if you work for US company remotely on W2 you still need TN as its a work authorization for US. B1/B2 which I already have wont work, with B1/B2 you can only do official meetings in US and thats it.
If you know a way I can work remotely please let me know, I have contacted companies to convert W2 to C2C (incorporation) however they mention the headcount has been approved as W2.
If its C2C I can do it and they will pay my Canadian incorporation and W8 form will be used to withhold GST in US only so I dont pay CRA any GST.

mekima

Star Member
Aug 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Doc's Request.
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
24-06-2014
Med's Request
11-08-2014
Med's Done....
18-08-2014
Passport Req..
24-02-2015
LANDED..........
17-03-2015
Again this doesn't qualify for urgent processing. If it was a canadian government job then yeah maybe but with your case it doesn't.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Bottom line, it is highly UNLIKELY IRCC will provide expedited processing so an individual will qualify for a particular visa to some other country. That really is how it is. Really.

And, after all, you probably do not really need Canadian citizenship for the job. American citizenship probably qualifies as well.

That said, there is (usually) no harm in asking.

In the not so distant past, however, an urgent processing request based on employment advantages abroad tended to signal applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport or seeking-a-passport-of-convenience (as in a passport that would, for example, expand career opportunities in countries other than Canada), which in turn tended to trigger elevated scrutiny and the opposite of expedited processing, resulting in non-routine processing significantly increasing the time line. Indeed, for a couple years this could be a factual basis for denying the application based on lack of intent to CONTINUE living in Canada, until the current Liberal government repealed that provision. But make no mistake, even before the Harper government adopted the intent-to-continue-residing requirement, applicants perceived to be applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport or seeking-a-passport-of-convenience tended to encounter higher hurdles taking much longer. And that was first formalized under a Liberal government when it adopted an Operational Bulletin which prescribed related factors to be reasons-to-question-residency (in other words, criteria triggering the issuance of RQ, or as many think of it, the dreaded RQ).

There appear to be more recent reports indicating that factors which might give the impression the applicant is applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport or seeking-a-passport-of-convenience might not automatically trigger such severe non-routine processing these days. My sense is that is very much a IT-DEPENDS matter, depending on additional facts and circumstances, with strength of the case looming center stage.

But the odds are so low that IRCC will expedite processing in this scenario, asking for it is probably a rather foolish gamble.

FWIW.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I have checked this, if you work for US company remotely on W2 you still need TN as its a work authorization for US. B1/B2 which I already have wont work, with B1/B2 you can only do official meetings in US and thats it.
If you know a way I can work remotely please let me know, I have contacted companies to convert W2 to C2C (incorporation) however they mention the headcount has been approved as W2.
If its C2C I can do it and they will pay my Canadian incorporation and W8 form will be used to withhold GST in US only so I dont pay CRA any GST.
If you really need Canadian citizenship for TN so you can work in the US, why is it so hard to just wait for it like everybody else ? If there’s a shortcut I am sure plenty of people have already taken it and it would have become a well known fact, or the loophole would have been closed by the government already

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you really need Canadian citizenship for TN so you can work in the US, why is it so hard to just wait for it like everybody else ? If there’s a shortcut I am sure plenty of people have already taken it and it would have become a well known fact, or the loophole would have been closed by the government already
I’m pretty sure the IRCC has seen this all before , it’s not there first day at the rodeo