+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Processing - Citizenship Application (Lets meet here )

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I got laid off from my job two weeks ago (3 weeks after applying for my citizenship - no AOR yet). There are some jobs I'm interested in applying for require Canadian citizenship.
If I offer a termination letter from my old employer, as well as job posting from prospective new jobs will that qualify for "urgent processing"?

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hey All,

I’ve got a unique situation that I’d like the experts insights on. I’ve recently applied for Canadian citizenship urgent processing and I’m already a dual citizen (excluding Canadian).

My situation is that I work in the automotive industry and I’ve been advised by my boss that my company might start reducing its workforce due to economic downturn a few months back. So I started applying for positions in Ontario and Michigan. Given that there are much more jobs available in Michigan, I managed to get a job there (unfortunately similar jobs don’t exist in canada). My employer worked with me and I applied for work visa there after I submitted my Canadian citizenship application. To my employer’s lawyers surprise, my application got put into something called administrative processing after the visa got approved by the consul.

anyways, the application has been stuck at that stage since June of this year and my employers’ client are becoming impatient and the job offer might get rescinded. The worst part is that now my US business visa is expiring November 1st of this year, i won’t be able to go on business for my Canadian employer that’s trying to keep me by moving me to a different department that deals with the US (and that’s if he manages to get a head count due to the hiring and budget freeze!). You might just say… renew your visa. Well, that won’t happen as I won’t be issued any kind of US visa until my case is out of the administrative processing stage which could take a year to two in some cases… according to a congresswoman that was trying to move the process along and as my case gets sent to different agencies in the US for checks.

Due to being completely stuck and lost, my employers’ lawyers advised me to apply for urgent processing for my Canadian citizenship which I did last month. This will basically circumvent the consulate and the state department (where I’m stuck) and I can get TN visa at the boarder with a Canadian passport. Or be able to go to the US visa free if my current boss manages to get the budget needed for extra heads. As you can see, access to the US is crucial due to my work in the automotive industry and for American automakers in particular. I’d like to get your thoughts on:

- what are my chances for the UP request to be approved or denied?
- could this negatively affect my citizenship application?
- I received a weird auto reply a day after my request but nothing happened since then. Can you please let me know what does the response means?

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We’re experiencing a high volume of requests, so our response may be delayed. We’ll respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

If you have an application in process, you can:

Our agents do not have access to more information about your case status or processing times than you can access online. The processing office will contact you if further information is needed.

For more information, you can:

We understand that timely access to client support is important. Thank you for your patience.

Please do not reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Any updates from this?

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
I got laid off from my job two weeks ago (3 weeks after applying for my citizenship - no AOR yet). There are some jobs I'm interested in applying for require Canadian citizenship.
If I offer a termination letter from my old employer, as well as job posting from prospective new jobs will that qualify for "urgent processing"?
You want us to help you game the system. And you can't even Google it on your own. The guidelines for urgent processing are clear. If you don't meet the need just apply normally like all others. They are picking up the processing speed real quickly. Just exercise patience

sentraj

Nov 16, 2016
first of all, sorry for your situation. If you have a job offer now that's requiring citizenship in this situation, They will consider it an urgent one. You can definately create explanatio nletter along with new job offer stating it requires citizenship.

THis is as far as I know

Reactions: Wacky1.nash

theflyingscot

Nov 17, 2022
From my understanding from various sources, they don't accept UP requests unless the request is accompanied with a letter from the employer/potential employer clearly stating that you need/would benefit from citizenship.

m_t

Star Member
Jun 30, 2019
@m_t My prohibition, physical presence, Language skills marked as completed as of Nov 15, got the update on Nov 24. Please let me what will be the next step and when can i expect the ceremony.
Sorry haven’t been following this thread for some time, it didn’t seem like my application was even being considered urgent at this point haha. Anyway, I had the same updates, but no oath invite yet. The next step is the oath invite email or an update on the account, and I don’t think it’s possible for me to say when that’s gonna come. So fingers crossed, hope to see an update soon!

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Sorry haven’t been following this thread for some time, it didn’t seem like my application was even being considered urgent at this point haha. Anyway, I had the same updates, but no oath invite yet. The next step is the oath invite email or an update on the account, and I don’t think it’s possible for me to say when that’s gonna come. So fingers crossed, hope to see an update soon!
Hi, if you don't mind, would you be able to share what was the reason due to which you requested for UP? Was it a medical reason like a serious illness of a close family member?

m_t

Star Member
Jun 30, 2019
@m_t My prohibition, physical presence, Language skills marked as completed as of Nov 15, got the update on Nov 24. Please let me what will be the next step and when can i expect the ceremony.
@sentraj hey, any updates on your end?
I got an update on Dec 16. My oath has been scheduled for January 31.

m_t

Star Member
Jun 30, 2019
i'm scarborough Office, may be it's in person these days. What's your office by the way, we may have chance to meet in person finally.
Oh true. My office is also Scarborough! I hope we get the email invite soon so we know if it’s going to be virtual or in-person.