+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Police certificate translation help needed!

Mar 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

I believe that the instructions on how to get your police certificate translated into English or French are contradictory. I originally posted this in the FSW forum but no one could help, and it's getting close to the deadline to submit the application.

So, PLEASE, if anyone can help me, I will be very, very grateful!

Here is the original post:

I was wondering whether anyone could help me make sense of the instructions given on my express entry profile and the instructions given on the government website.

The instructions given to me via my express entry profile after I received my ItA were:

Police certificates need to be a scan of the original police certificate(s) in color. Certified true copies, unauthorized copies, or visibly altered police certificates are unacceptable and will result in the application being rejected as incomplete.

However, I found information on the Express Entry page for how to submit your application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp) which says:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
And finally, on the government immigration page on how to get a police certificate (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp), it says the following:

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send the police certificate along with a translation done by a certified translator... Police certificates must be a scan of the original certificate(s) in colour. Certified true copies or unauthorized copies will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected.
So my question is whether I should provide a certified true copy of the police certificate which I have in another language or not! If anyone can help me to understand what they want, I would be very grateful!

Thank you!

Funkdakarma

Jun 7, 2011
Hi everyone,

I believe that the instructions on how to get your police certificate translated into English or French are contradictory. I originally posted this in the FSW forum but no one could help, and it's getting close to the deadline to submit the application.

So, PLEASE, if anyone can help me, I will be very, very grateful!

Here is the original post:

I was wondering whether anyone could help me make sense of the instructions given on my express entry profile and the instructions given on the government website.

The instructions given to me via my express entry profile after I received my ItA were:

Police certificates need to be a scan of the original police certificate(s) in color. Certified true copies, unauthorized copies, or visibly altered police certificates are unacceptable and will result in the application being rejected as incomplete.

However, I found information on the Express Entry page for how to submit your application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp) which says:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
And finally, on the government immigration page on how to get a police certificate (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp), it says the following:

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send the police certificate along with a translation done by a certified translator... Police certificates must be a scan of the original certificate(s) in colour. Certified true copies or unauthorized copies will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected.
So my question is whether I should provide a certified true copy of the police certificate which I have in another language or not! If anyone can help me to understand what they want, I would be very grateful!

Thank you!
Cover all your bases is my suggestion. Provide the certificate in the original language, along with a certified English or French translation.

Mar 28, 2017
Thank you, Funkdakarma, for your quick response! My worry is that the second set of instructions, which applies to all documents for Express Entry, says that for supporting documents not in English or French, you must provide "a copy of the original document... a certified photocopy of the original document" (not sure whether these are even the same thing), whilst the third set of instructions, which is specific to police certificates but not specific to Express Entry, says that "police certificates must be a scan of the original certificate(s) in colour. Certified true copies or unauthorized copies will not be accepted and will result in your application being rejected."

As this is a police certificate for Express Entry, I think it would fall into both cases (being a document needed for Express Entry and a police certificate for immigration). Up until now everything has been very clear with Express Entry, but honestly, I think this contradiction is a mistake on their part.

Do you, and/or does anyone else, see what I mean? My instinct is to provide both the color scan of the original and a certified true copy, but I'm worried that will result in my application being rejected.

student7872014

Jan 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The instructions are clear, but rather people tend to overcomplicate them. For ALL documents, it is suggested by many people to upload the "original" and "colored" documents. With regards to PCC, they do not accept black and white copies (while for some other documents, some people submit black and white copies).

With regards to the "Certified True Copy", the instructions simply cover all the bases. In other words, the wording covers the paper applications, since applicants would not submit the original documents (there are still certain immigration categories that are paper based, such as QSW). However, if you are applying under Express Entry, like most other people, your original document is all you need. If the document is not in English or French, it obviously needs to be translated and you need to also scan the translation ALONG with the originals (People in the past have either forgotten to submit the translation, or the original document, and in most cases, they were rejected - sometimes they were lucky enough to receive an Additional Document Request to submit the missing document. These cases range anywhere from a Marriage Certificate to PCC).

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is what I did and I passed IP1 (as far as I know that's where they check pcc) and now in NA2.

I provided the following:

1) Translated copy from a well reputed translation company with sworn affidavit (affidavit was on the same page as translation).
2) True copy of the original.
3) Original color scan of the pcc.

I provided a cover page where I mentioned that I was providing all of the above in the order mentioned above just incase they didn't pay attention to details.

Reactions: Coffeeandcroissants
Mar 28, 2017
This is what I did and I passed IP1 (as far as I know that's where they check pcc) and now in NA2.

1) Translated copy from a well reputed translation company with sworn affidavit (affidavit was on the same page as translation).

I provided a cover page where I mentioned that I was providing all of the above in the order mentioned above just incase they didn't pay attention to details.

Hi!

Thanks for your replies. Could you tell me whether you had the translation company create the true copy of the original, or was it another company that certifies true copies? Also, did you provide the translation company with the original document or with the certified true copy for translation?

aralizadegan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi guys

I submitted my application on 27 April 2018 and today (03 May 2018) I have received a request for replacement document for my police certificate from Iran. I originally had put 3 documents in a pdf file as they instructed:

document 1: color scan of original police certificate
document 2: translation and affidavi
document 3: a photocopy certified by the translator. The photocopy was black and white but the certification stamps were in color

The message they sent me says this:

Police Certificate: Our records indicate you have uploaded an altered copy of the Police
Certificate from IRAN. Please provide an original, unaltered scan of the Police Certificate from
IRAN.

I already had the original color scan in the file uploaded. What do you think I should do?

canada&back

Dec 20, 2018
Hi!

Thanks for your replies. Could you tell me whether you had the translation company create the true copy of the original, or was it another company that certifies true copies? Also, did you provide the translation company with the original document or with the certified true copy for translation?

Hi there,

I encountered a similar situation. How did you go about with yours?

Also, it would be great if you (or others) could advise me on this:
I got a document translated by a certified translator in Canada. Therefore, an affidavit is not provided by him as also mention on IRCC website. Now, the translator sent me the translations (stamped and certified) alongwith a black and white copy of the original which has a the translators stamp as well. Since a translator cannot certify a copy, I got certified true copies of the original from a notary. I therefore uploaded the original+ english translation (stamped and certified)+ notarized true copy of the original. My question is, do I also need to upload the stamped copy of the original (in black and white) that was provided to me by the translator for each of the translations? I'm super confused!! Should I raise a CSE and request to amend my documents as: original+certified translation+stamped copy of original provided by the translator+notarized true copy? I just submitted my eAPR and would like to raise a CSE, if necessary.

canada&back

Dec 20, 2018
Hi guys

I submitted my application on 27 April 2018 and today (03 May 2018) I have received a request for replacement document for my police certificate from Iran. I originally had put 3 documents in a pdf file as they instructed:

document 1: color scan of original police certificate
document 2: translation and affidavi
document 3: a photocopy certified by the translator. The photocopy was black and white but the certification stamps were in color

The message they sent me says this:

Police Certificate: Our records indicate you have uploaded an altered copy of the Police
Certificate from IRAN. Please provide an original, unaltered scan of the Police Certificate from
IRAN.

I already had the original color scan in the file uploaded. What do you think I should do?
Hi,

That's quite unfortunate. How did you deal with this situation? Also, any reason they might think the scanned version was altered? Thanks!!

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
Hi there,

I got a document translated by a certified translator in Canada. Therefore, an affidavit is not provided by him as also mention on IRCC website. Now, the translator sent me the translations (stamped and certified) alongwith a black and white copy of the original which has a the translators stamp as well. Since a translator cannot certify a copy, I got certified true copies of the original from a notary. I therefore uploaded the original+ english translation (stamped and certified)+ notarized true copy of the original. My question is, do I also need to upload the stamped copy of the original (in black and white) that was provided to me by the translator for each of the translations? I'm super confused!! Should I raise a CSE and request to amend my documents as: original+certified translation+stamped copy of original provided by the translator+notarized true copy? I just submitted my eAPR and would like to raise a CSE, if necessary.
Hi, what did you end up submitting? I'm about to upload but had exactly the same issue.

Dec 19, 2023
Hi there,

Dec 19, 2023
Hi,

I am going through the same situation now. I have only the English translation copy done by a certified translator in Canada (Certified with their stamp, the second page is a black and white copy of the original document with seal of the certified translator) + the original colour copy of the PCC. Should I need to attach anything else? Can someone please help me what else should I need?

sara4can

Jan 26, 2024
Hi,

I am going through the same situation now. I have only the English translation copy done by a certified translator in Canada (Certified with their stamp, the second page is a black and white copy of the original document with seal of the certified translator) + the original color copy of the PCC. Should I need to attach anything else? Can someone please help me what else should I need?
I just created a login to reply to this thread, as I was in same situation as you. I have submitted the following,

1) Original PCC document ( Should be color scanned)
2) Affidavit- of the translator ( This you should have got from your translator)
3) Translated document with Translator seal in it .
4) Copy of the PCC which got translated. ( This I submitted a true certified copy, you get it from Public Notary or Commissioner of Oath if you are in Canada). And this also had a translator seal on it.

I got my biometric request, currently my application is in BGV - In Progress . So, I presume they accepted it as usually BGV will start after R10 where they check all these document and application completeness. Hope this helps