+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent passport for newborn - UAE

Jtg

Nov 22, 2020
Hello,

I’m a Canadian living in Dubai. If I have a baby born in the the UAE, I believe it currently takes 9 months to apply for proof of citizenship.
what happens if I lost my job after the baby is born And need to return to Canada immediately?
is there a urgent processing process ? Anyone have personnel experience in this area?

thanks

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hello,

I’m a Canadian living in Dubai. If I have a baby born in the the UAE, I believe it currently takes 9 months to apply for proof of citizenship.
what happens if I lost my job after the baby is born And need to return to Canada immediately?
is there a urgent processing process ? Anyone have personnel experience in this area?

thanks
Why not just come on over to Canada? It will benefit your child greatly since their children will be able to get a Canadian citizenship. If your child is born outside, there is a good chance your grandchildren won't be Canadians. I know this is Uber long term thinking, but keep it in mind.

Also, if your child is born in Canada, their Canadian Birth certificate will suffice as a proof of Citizenship. So you could immediately apply for their passport (with urgency too if you need to get back to your job).

EDIT: To answer your question, however, you will be eligible to apply for urgent processing when you lose your job. I recommend you speak with the Consulate or Embassy to be more clear. However, I find that most counslates/embassies will be able to move the moon to help you out if you're ever in such a situation. Best be proactive and contact them in advance so you won't have to worry too much.

Last edited:

Jtg

Nov 22, 2020
Why not just come on over to Canada? It will benefit your child greatly since their children will be able to get a Canadian citizenship. If your child is born outside, there is a good chance your grandchildren won't be Canadians. I know this is Uber long term thinking, but keep it in mind.

Also, if your child is born in Canada, their Canadian Birth certificate will suffice as a proof of Citizenship. So you could immediately apply for their passport (with urgency too if you need to get back to your job).

EDIT: To answer your question, however, you will be eligible to apply for urgent processing when you lose your job. I recommend you speak with the Consulate or Embassy to be more clear. However, I find that most counslates/embassies will be able to move the moon to help you out if you're ever in such a situation. Best be proactive and contact them in advance so you won't have to worry too much.
Suppose is nonresident. takes A year to apply PR.
Which You cannot even apply until move back to Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know where you are getting the figures that it takes a year for a newborn to get the documents needed.

Even in covid, urgent processing is available (although real urgent reasons needed). You can apply for critizenship and passport for the child at the same time.

I suggest you contact the consular section of the embassy/consulate for detailed information. As another here noted, they really do try very hard to provide urgently needed documents, especially for children, quickly. I'm not saying it's easy or will be as easy or quickly as you would like - but they do try.

Jtg

Nov 22, 2020
They replied said passport will take a month but citizenship will take up to 2 yrs
I didn’t know they could issue a passport before issuing citizenship

the 1 yr is the time takes for spouse to apply pr

Mayorr

Aug 4, 2020
My son was born in America and my wife is Canadian. He got his citizenship certificate 10 days after we applied. Just write a letter stating that its urgent and your newborn needs to get his citizenship certificate to enable him apply for a Canadian passport and travel to Canada. I also stated that he needs it to apply for a health card so as to get his immunizations and write "URGENT PROCESSING" at the back of the envelope you will be sending to them (Case Processing). Hope this helps, cheers

Jtg

Nov 22, 2020
My son was born in America and my wife is Canadian. He got his citizenship certificate 10 days after we applied. Just write a letter stating that its urgent and your newborn needs to get his citizenship certificate to enable him apply for a Canadian passport and travel to Canada. I also stated that he needs it to apply for a health card so as to get his immunizations and write "URGENT PROCESSING" at the back of the envelope you will be sending to them (Case Processing). Hope this helps, cheers
They say the processing time outside USA and Canada is much longer

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They replied said passport will take a month but citizenship will take up to 2 yrs
I didn’t know they could issue a passport before issuing citizenship
Doesn't matter if the citizenship will take longer if the child has passport.

I think infants in this situation only issued passports valid for two years. I am guessing that the two years is maximum time for them to come to final determination on citizenship, not how long it will take in practice (although who knows in covid time).

Note that even if for some reason not given citizenship (e.g. in event you are citizen by descent, which they do not know from your passport), this is also sufficient time to travel to Canada, settle and make other arrangements. (E.g. arrange PR for child and as PR, child would be eligible for citizenship without waiting period).

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
What? Didn’t you just say you’re Canadian?
Bruh. You don’t need to apply for a PR Card for your newborn child. What’s the point of being a Canadian then??