+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent, Need help. Waiting for PR but WP will expire shortly.

forbetterlife

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
I got AOR at the end of Oct. under EE CEC inland, and I'm still waiting for PPR, not sure when I could get the PR. But my work permit will expire two months later, which would possibly happen before PPR. What should I do to keep living here legally before I get my PR? Can anyone give me some clues or instructions? Thank you very much. Wish you all good luck...

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
Your employer can apply for a BOWP or you can send an application to extend your current work permit. You can live for 3 months on implied status as well.

forbetterlife

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
kainthsimranjit said:
Your employer can apply for a BOWP or you can send an application to extend your current work permit. You can live for 3 months on implied status as well.
Thank you so much for the prompt reply. A few questions:

1). Only new employer can apply for a BOWP for me? Can I do that by myself? I searched on CIC, finding one of the requirements is applicants must have applied for an open work permit. but I didn't apply for that yet.
2). My current work permit only allows me work at the specific university, could I still apply to extend my current work permit? The problem is my current supervisor said he didn't have funding anymore.
3). Did you mean I still have 3 months implied status even though I couldn't get any extended or new work permit when my current WP expires?

Thank you very much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kainthsimranjit said:
No - the employer is not the one who applies for the BOWP. The applicant is responsible for applying for the BOWP.

forbetterlife

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
Thank you. I searched on CIC website, one of the requirements for BOWP application is: you have applied for open work permit. But I didn't apply for open work permit before. Am I still eligible to apply for BOWP? Thank you again.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
forbetterlife said:
Thank you. I searched on CIC website, one of the requirements for BOWP application is: you have applied for open work permit. But I didn't apply for open work permit before. Am I still eligible to apply for BOWP? Thank you again.
The instructions are worded strangely, I agree.

That only means that when you apply to extend your stay as a worker, you apply for an open work permit (there is no specific category on the application for "BOWP").

You are eligible to apply for a BOWP if:
- You have applied for PR (recent rule change, you don't have to wait for the AOR anymore - but if you have the AOR, include a copy with your application)
- you currently have a valid work permit (any kind) that will expire within the next 4 months

forbetterlife

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
Thank you very much for your clear explanation!!

jes_ON said:
The instructions are worded strangely, I agree.

That only means that when you apply to extend your stay as a worker, you apply for an open work permit (there is no specific category on the application for "BOWP").

You are eligible to apply for a BOWP if:
- You have applied for PR (recent rule change, you don't have to wait for the AOR anymore - but if you have the AOR, include a copy with your application)
- you currently have a valid work permit (any kind) that will expire within the next 4 months