+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Made honest mistake in IMM5669E form - Schedule A/Background Declaration

Stressed2016

Apr 23, 2016
Hi,

I am in a bad situation right now and i would really appreciate it if some senior members or someone who has gone through this experience can give me some advice on this.

I just now realized that I made an honest mistake while filling out the Form 5669E-Schedule A/Background Declaration.

The concerned question is:
6. Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada, ever:
d. been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de selection du Quebec(CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country.

In this I had marked "No".

I am still not sure, but after having read many forums I came to realize that the answer to this may probably be "YES".

It was really an honest mistake on my end and I did not mean to hide anything at all.

Is there a way to send them an updated form with the answer to the above question as "YES" and giving an explanation in the form for the "YES" answer along with a cover letter stating that it was an honest mistake on my end and I did not mean to hide anything from them?

If some of the seniors or anyone else has gone through this experience, please kindly advice me.

We would really appreciate is anyone can give us some honest or experience advice.

Thanks.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
In your case I would send a case-specific enquiry explaining like you have here, and ask if you should send an updated form. There's a chance they won't even make you send a new one.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014/FeDex-ed 26-10
IELTS Request
included in the application
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
I did the same mistake when I was applying for PR under FSW. I was denied with US Tourist Visa before and it was an honest mistake as well that I overlook that question.

What did I do? NOTHING.

In the process, they asked me to submit again the same form.

To be on the safe side, submit a CSE and wait for their reply. I've read this many times in this forum and haven't read anyone charged with "misrepresentation" over this issue.

Stressed2016

Apr 23, 2016
Aquakitty said:
In your case I would send a case-specific enquiry explaining like you have here, and ask if you should send an updated form. There's a chance they won't even make you send a new one.
Thank you so much for your reply. This seems logical to let them know this and then let them decide weather they want me to send an updated form. This also shows that I had no intention of hiding anything and I informed them as soon as I came across this.

On a side note, I am still confused if H-1B visa comes under temporary resident visa or not because legal definition of it is Non-Immigrant visa.

So is it good to ask them If I should have answered yes in this question OR should I explain the story as I have done in my above post and ask them if I should send them updated form?

I really appreciate your reply. Thanks for your help.

Stressed2016

Apr 23, 2016
badpusacat said:
I did the same mistake when I was applying for PR under FSW. I was denied with US Tourist Visa before and it was an honest mistake as well that I overlook that question.

What did I do? NOTHING.

In the process, they asked me to submit again the same form.

To be on the safe side, submit a CSE and wait for their reply. I've read this many times in this forum and haven't read anyone charged with "misrepresentation" over this issue.
Hello. Thank you so much for your reply.

Sorry to disturb you again, but I have an additional question for you: As you said that you did the same mistake. By that do you mean that you ticked "No" in the 6) d. question OR by overlook do you mean that you forgot to tick anything and sent it blank?

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
Stressed2016 said:
Hello. Thank you so much for your reply.

Sorry to disturb you again, but I have an additional question for you: As you said that you did the same mistake. By that do you mean that you ticked "No" in the 6) d. question OR by overlook do you mean that you forgot to tick anything and sent it blank?
I tick "NO".

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
To the OP: I would do what Aquakitty suggested. Explain that you thought you did not have to answer yes, for the reasons you gave here. This way, if the visa officer thinks you should have said yes, he or she will just ask you to resubmit the form. If no, then everything is OK.
Answering no when the answer should be yes can certainly lead to the visa being denied, and to a charge of misrepresentation. Some people have gotten away with it, but it would be better to be upfront about it.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
Stressed2016 said:
Thank you so much for your reply.

I have sent you a private message. If possible, can you please kindly have a look at it?
Aquakitty and canadianwoman are both correct. Inform them about the mistake that you did and wait for the reply or instructions from them. It is your responsibility to inform them whatever relevant changes or mistakes that you discover along the process. If they don't care, at least you did what you had to do.

Stressed2016

Apr 23, 2016
canadianwoman said:
To the OP: I would do what Aquakitty suggested. Explain that you thought you did not have to answer yes, for the reasons you gave here. This way, if the visa officer thinks you should have said yes, he or she will just ask you to resubmit the form. If no, then everything is OK.
Answering no when the answer should be yes can certainly lead to the visa being denied, and to a charge of misrepresentation. Some people have gotten away with it, but it would be better to be upfront about it.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes I guess that creating a Case specific Enquiry is the right way to proceed at the moment.

Stressed2016

Apr 23, 2016
badpusacat said:
Aquakitty and canadianwoman are both correct. Inform them about the mistake that you did and wait for the reply or instructions from them. It is your responsibility to inform them whatever relevant changes or mistakes that you discover along the process. If they don't care, at least you did what you had to do.
Thank you for your reply. I will definitely create a Case Specific Enquiry.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I'd go with 1. Let's see what the others think.

winniway

Mar 31, 2016
I need help...

I have made mistake. I have forgot to write about my overlap education information in education section and in personal history section.
I had failed in 10th std &. Had failed in last year of my bachelor.

I Had failed in 10std and given exam as external student on 2005/03
I had failed in last year of bachelor and given exam three more as external studenton 2010/10, 2011/03, 2013/03

I have sent my education transcript, and certificate with application. My pr application is now at local vo from last one.

What should I do now?

petertherock77

Sep 13, 2015
Nova Scotia
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-07-2015
Doc's Request.
10-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
22-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
05-09-2016
Interview........
04-25-2017
Passport Req..
04-25-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-26-2017
LANDED..........
08-22-2017
Hi All,

Did anyone ever get a response from VO about the mistake to the statutory questions? I made same mistake and I sent in letter of explanation including a newly completed Schedule A form. Will this be sufficient. I answered NO to the question " have you ever been denied a visa by any other country". I was denied a U.S visa in Ireland but was later approved 5 months after the denial. I failed to declare it on my application but now I have sent oin LOE and a new background form clearly stating what happened.

Please share your thoughts from your experiences.

Thanks..

Lakh toor

May 17, 2021
Hi,

I am in a bad situation right now and i would really appreciate it if some senior members or someone who has gone through this experience can give me some advice on this.

I just now realized that I made an honest mistake while filling out the Form 5669E-Schedule A/Background Declaration.

The concerned question is:
6. Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada, ever:
d. been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de selection du Quebec(CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country.

In this I had marked "No".

I am still not sure, but after having read many forums I came to realize that the answer to this may probably be "YES".

It was really an honest mistake on my end and I did not mean to hide anything at all.

Is there a way to send them an updated form with the answer to the above question as "YES" and giving an explanation in the form for the "YES" answer along with a cover letter stating that it was an honest mistake on my end and I did not mean to hide anything from them?

If some of the seniors or anyone else has gone through this experience, please kindly advice me.

We would really appreciate is anyone can give us some honest or experience advice.

Thanks.
Hi dear i did the same mistake on my form could you help me .. what did you do?