+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Help!!! PPR Stage (Ready for Visa) but Passport is expiring in less than 7 months!!!

phl2019

Feb 24, 2019
Hello
I got my passport request yesterday for PR and I hold two passports one is cancelled and One is valid. Do I need to send both passports or just the new one. ( When I applied PR I have new passport number on the application but the old cancelled passport has some visa stampings on it and also some stamping for entry).
Thank you
If I understand correctly, passports at PPR stage are collected for visa stamping. There’s no need to submit your old and expired one.

Does your PPR request for your old and expired passport?

Harsh193

May 8, 2019
If I understand correctly, passports at PPR stage are collected for visa stamping. There’s no need to submit your old and expired one.

Does your PPR request for your old and expired passport?
It doesn’t say anything like that but I was just wondering if I have to send the old passport also which contains some stamps on it.

Obamayang

Star Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi, my husband who is the second applicant his passport expires in March 2021. We got the ppr in nov 2020. We are in process of renewal of his passport.

Should I just send both his passport with a letter of explanation for stamping?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi, my husband who is the second applicant his passport expires in March 2021. We got the ppr in nov 2020. We are in process of renewal of his passport.

Should I just send both his passport with a letter of explanation for stamping?
No need just send the new one.

Rmrishabh007

Dec 31, 2021
Hi guys, I got ready for visa email but passport getting expired in less than 6 months and I already sent my passport for renewal but will miss the 30 days deadline. I asked them to extend the deadline Will CIC accept my documents now?thanks

phl2019

Feb 24, 2019
Hi guys, I got ready for visa email but passport getting expired in less than 6 months and I already sent my passport for renewal but will miss the 30 days deadline. I asked them to extend the deadline Will CIC accept my documents now?thanks
Hi, how close are you to getting the PPR / are you almost 6 months in? Typically, other posts on this thread have mentioned already getting new passports before the old one expired. Also, is there a way that you can still get an expedited return of your passport? I’d suggest this over hoping for an extension.

This page indicates extensions may be given to candidates with reasonable explanation:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supporting-information-applications-in-progress.html

This page suggests there may be some delays in processing your application:
Expiring passports
You must have a valid passport to come to Canada.

If your passport expires within 6 months from the day you apply, you should renew it. Then, when you get your new passport, update your passport information in your application. This will ensure it’s valid when we process your application, and avoid additional delays.

————-

Where the IRCC websites clearly informs candidates to renew passports before applying, there might be less leeway for people late in the process. So, try to get an expedited return. And see what your passport office comes back with. If it documents COVID-related reasons why there is a delay in processing / expedited return is not available, submit this letter with an LOE through the Web Form.

Good luck!

Spm090

Jan 3, 2022
Hi guys i got my Passport request email abd already sent my passport together with my spouse and dependants for visa stamp but one of my dependant has a 5month validity left on his passport before expiry … are we still going to get our passport stamped or will this cause a delay .. some should please advise thank you

prseekr

May 31, 2022
Hey guys,

I have a bit of tricky situation and with unclear state of things, see the need to get some advice from the forum. Kindly find the context & timeline and questions below:

Context & timeline in the below mentioned order
  1. Jan 11, 2020: Applied for Express Entry in 2020, everything was processed and was waiting for PPR for almost 2 years (delay due to covid-19 I think)
  2. Feb 21, 2020: Biometrics enrollment date
  3. July 10, 2021: Review of medical result date updated on the portal (actual medical examination was conducted in Dec 2019)
  4. Nov 9, 2021: Got PPR on Nov 9, 2021 (i.e. "Ready for Visa" email; only this email and nothing on the portal itself). My passport was up for renewal and was expiring in less than 6 months
  5. I emailed to CNGNYIM-PR-RP@international.gc.ca (as mentioned in the email), mentioning that my passport is in renew. Also, my wife's passport was unavailable as she was traveling (spouse is listed as dependent on my EE application). Did not get any replies.
  6. Dec 14, 2021: I got another email "Ready for Visa" on Dec 14, 2021 with updated information to reachout to them (suggested contacting via webform: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx)
  7. Apr 13, 2022: Got my passport renewed and also wife's passport was now available. So raised webform request stating the same, providing new passport details and passport scanned pdf and asked to update in records. Also asked for next steps on sending passport for getting visa stamped.
  8. I did not hear back, I sent multiple requests with the same information but did not hear back
  9. May 31, 2022: Today I received email from IRCC (IRCC.CECSCDoNotReply-NePasRepondreCSCEC.IRCC@cic.gc.ca) stating that the new passport is received by the responsible office. Following is the email:
Code:
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Please note that this email is a response to the enquiries found below this email.

We verified the information on file and are pleased to confirm that the new passport was received by the responsible office.

If further information is needed during the processing of your application, the responsible office may contact you.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

- Download application forms and guides
- Change of address
- Check your application status
- Help Centre - To find answers, you may consult the different sections or type keywords related to your question.

Sincerely,
Questions
  1. Does the above email mean that the new passport is updated on the profile? Or is it only that this information was transmitted to the relevant office and I should wait for the acknowledgment of the new passport being updated on the file?
  2. How and where can I check on the portal that the new passport is updated? Or is the above email enough and I should not worry about verifying it?
  3. Regarding sending passport, what should be my next steps now? Shall I send the new passport (along with spouse's passport) for Canada visa stamping? Or shall I raise another webform to confirm or wait for another acknowledgement on the same (i.e. another email with "Ready for Visa")?
  4. If I send my passport for stamping now, what would be the validity of the visa that I will receive?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help with these questions. Appreciate your guidance here!