+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help: Passport return time in Vienna

Maqsood

May 24, 2016
Hi,

I applied for a visitor's visa online from Netherlands and now I have been asked to send my passport to the embassy in Vienna. I need to get my passport back in at most 10 days as I have a trip planned for next week. Kindly reply if you've had any experience with the embassy in Vienna. I am planning to send it through DHL tomorrow and hopefully send a completed pre-paid return airway bill as that might speed-up the return delivery. Could I expect to get it back in a few days? Any info in this regard would be helpful. Is DHL the best means?

Thank you!!

Vikram18

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2016
AOR Received.
31-03-2016 AOR2 Received: 19-04-2016
File Transfer...
07-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-02-2016
Passport Req..
11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2016
LANDED..........
24-06-2016
I have submitted my passport twice from Netherlands to Vienna office, when I was living there last year. I used Netherlands post (post.nl) to send the passport. They have a specific service for important documents like passport. It took around 2.5 weeks both the times for my passport to come back from Vienna. Since you are using DHL, it may take some less time but there is no guarantee that it’ll come back by next Friday.

Maqsood

May 24, 2016
Thanks for your reply Vikram! I have send it to the VAC in Dusseldorf now. I'm hoping they are faster than private courier services. They told me that they would send it to Vienna on the same day and would also get it back on the same day the visa is stamped. I'm relying on this info. I hope to be able to pick it up from Dusseldorf at most by next Thursday. Fingers crossed!

Vikram18

Nov 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2016
AOR Received.
31-03-2016 AOR2 Received: 19-04-2016
File Transfer...
07-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-02-2016
Passport Req..
11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2016
LANDED..........
24-06-2016
Maqsood said:
Thanks for your reply Vikram! I have send it to the VAC in Dusseldorf now. I'm hoping they are faster than private courier services. They told me that they would send it to Vienna on the same day and would also get it back on the same day the visa is stamped. I'm relying on this info. I hope to be able to pick it up from Dusseldorf at most by next Thursday. Fingers crossed!
You're welcome. Good luck!

varunaqua20

Feb 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I also received my Canada PR and received a Passport request letter.
I just want to share my experience on this topic.
I went all the comments from members across various forums and also did research on my part trying to contact various courier companies(DHL, UPS, GLS, DPD). It was not possible to get a return prepaid label and arrange a pickup from the Canadian Embassy in Vienna.

The safest option is however through the VAC in Dusseldorf which is expensive(around 50 Euro per passport for Passport transmissions and sending back the passport to you). You also need to consider the cost to send your passports to the VAC either by post, courier or drop in person.
If you leave near Dusseldorf and can collect your passports by yourself, then you can save some cost and it will the cost you around 24 Euro per Passport(Passport transmission to the Embassy,Vienna).

Well I went for the 3rd option, sending the passports via Registered post directly to the Embassy in Vienna. I didn't send any prepaid return envelope(as it was not possible for me to arrange it). The Embassy also sent back the passports also via registered post. The total turnaround time was 5 working days. I sent my passports Thursday morning and got it back by next week Wednesday. Isn't that great :).
Regarding the expense. It cost me under 10 Euros for one way registered post. The embassy doesnt charge anything for sending the passports via Registered post which also cost them around 10 Euros.

I read many posts which raised doubts on the registered post option and the Passport request letter also mentioned "The embassy will not be responsible for documents lost in regular mail". This also made me skeptical on this option as I didn't want to risk losing mine and my family's passport.

But then I thought if this was a risky option, why would the embassy even propose this option. They could have directly asked us to go to the VAC.
Then I decided to opt for the registered post which worked fine for me. It costed under 10 euros and took only 5 working days.
I relied the registered post which should be trustworthy in Europe. Registered post is traceable online.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

geriind

Mar 8, 2018
Did you apply online or through VFS ? how much time it take for visa ? as am also going apply next week in vienna

geriind

Mar 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I also received my Canada PR and received a Passport request letter.
I just want to share my experience on this topic.
I went all the comments from members across various forums and also did research on my part trying to contact various courier companies(DHL, UPS, GLS, DPD). It was not possible to get a return prepaid label and arrange a pickup from the Canadian Embassy in Vienna.

The safest option is however through the VAC in Dusseldorf which is expensive(around 50 Euro per passport for Passport transmissions and sending back the passport to you). You also need to consider the cost to send your passports to the VAC either by post, courier or drop in person.
If you leave near Dusseldorf and can collect your passports by yourself, then you can save some cost and it will the cost you around 24 Euro per Passport(Passport transmission to the Embassy,Vienna).

Well I went for the 3rd option, sending the passports via Registered post directly to the Embassy in Vienna. I didn't send any prepaid return envelope(as it was not possible for me to arrange it). The Embassy also sent back the passports also via registered post. The total turnaround time was 5 working days. I sent my passports Thursday morning and got it back by next week Wednesday. Isn't that great :).
Regarding the expense. It cost me under 10 Euros for one way registered post. The embassy doesnt charge anything for sending the passports via Registered post which also cost them around 10 Euros.

I read many posts which raised doubts on the registered post option and the Passport request letter also mentioned "The embassy will not be responsible for documents lost in regular mail". This also made me skeptical on this option as I didn't want to risk losing mine and my family's passport.

But then I thought if this was a risky option, why would the embassy even propose this option. They could have directly asked us to go to the VAC.
Then I decided to opt for the registered post which worked fine for me. It costed under 10 euros and took only 5 working days.
I relied the registered post which should be trustworthy in Europe. Registered post is traceable online.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks
cn we send PP directly to the embassy ? as they suggest through VFS , or can we also submit the PP personally in the embassy ? as am living very near to vienna . reply please

varunaqua20

Feb 8, 2018
I assume in your passport request letter they have mentioned 3 options.
1. via VFS
2. Private courier with a prepaid return envelope
3. Registered post

If you live nearby, then you can try to visit the embassy and submit your passports and documents and at that time ask them if you can collect the passports personally a few days later.
You can also try to email them asking about this option.

Otherwise I would say choose option 3 and send the passports , documents by registered post and they will do the same. You should receive your passports back in 1 week or so.
All the best!!

Reactions: geriind

geriind

Mar 8, 2018
I assume in your passport request letter they have mentioned 3 options.
1. via VFS
2. Private courier with a prepaid return envelope
3. Registered post

If you live nearby, then you can try to visit the embassy and submit your passports and documents and at that time ask them if you can collect the passports personally a few days later.
You can also try to email them asking about this option.

Otherwise I would say choose option 3 and send the passports , documents by registered post and they will do the same. You should receive your passports back in 1 week or so.
All the best!!
thanx varun for quick reply , i will go there tomarrow

lollypop29

Mar 15, 2018
Hello all
I live in Germany and sent my passport via the vfs in Dusseldorf since the 7th June 2018 am yet to hear any reply.
Pls does anyone have an idea how long their processing time takes.
Thanks for your help.

varunaqua20

Feb 8, 2018
Hello all
I live in Germany and sent my passport via the vfs in Dusseldorf since the 7th June 2018 am yet to hear any reply.
Pls does anyone have an idea how long their processing time takes.
Thanks for your help.
Hi,

Did you try to email or call them? What did they say? Ideally, It should not take more than 5-7 working days for you to receive the passport back.
I assume you must have gotten some reference as an acknowledgement when VFS received your passport.

You can track your application: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/germany/track_your_application.html

Also, please note that ""If sending your application by post, please do not forget to enclose the courier service charge to have your passport sent back to you by secure courier.""
For more info visit:
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/Germany/Service_and_Service_Charge.html

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Thanks
Varun

lollypop29

Mar 15, 2018
Hi,
Yes I called them and they gave me a tracking number. I checked and it says my application is being processed in the Canadian Visa office Vienna.
Suprised to why it's taking longer. They sent to Vienna on the 8th of June and it's been 2weeks already. I included all payment slips with my package
A bit worried as to the delay.

Did you try to email or call them? What did they say? Ideally, It should not take more than 5-7 working days for you to receive the passport back.
I assume you must have gotten some reference as an acknowledgement when VFS received your passport.

You can track your application: http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/germany/track_your_application.html

Also, please note that ""If sending your application by post, please do not forget to enclose the courier service charge to have your passport sent back to you by secure courier.""
For more info visit:

Thanks
Varun

lollypop29

Mar 15, 2018
Hi,

Pls what kind of references do you mean?
Thank you.

For more info visit:

Thanks
Varun

slam91

Nov 25, 2018
Hey,

I received a request for passport on June 27, 2019, and on the same day, I sent in all the documents including my passport to the VFS in Dusseldorf using registered mail via PostNL. But, PostNL was very shitty and the track and trace were useless, (this is a long and painful story), but, I called Dusseldorf today and they said they received my documents on July 5, 2019, and that my documents are at the embassy in Vienna. Now, my question is how long would it take for the passport to make it back to me via Vfs Dusseldorf? My recent experience with PostNL has been terrifying as they were uncooperative and convinced me that my post was lost in the mail. Does Vfs use service from PostNL to send back the package to the sender i.e. me? Cause I paid for the return post too. Does anyone have any idea? Both on the timing of return and post the vfs Dusseldorf uses?

aminbd

Jul 13, 2019
Hey,

I received a request for passport on June 27, 2019, and on the same day, I sent in all the documents including my passport to the VFS in Dusseldorf using registered mail via PostNL. But, PostNL was very shitty and the track and trace were useless, (this is a long and painful story), but, I called Dusseldorf today and they said they received my documents on July 5, 2019, and that my documents are at the embassy in Vienna. Now, my question is how long would it take for the passport to make it back to me via Vfs Dusseldorf? My recent experience with PostNL has been terrifying as they were uncooperative and convinced me that my post was lost in the mail. Does Vfs use service from PostNL to send back the package to the sender i.e. me? Cause I paid for the return post too. Does anyone have any idea? Both on the timing of return and post the vfs Dusseldorf uses?
Hi,
Did you get your passport?