+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help needed- Working for a US company in Canada on PR?

akanshaa28

Nov 15, 2019
We just became a PR in Canada (waiting for the official PR card though). My employer in US is willing for me to continue work in Canada while I wait for my H4 EAD in US.

1) Can I work in Canada as an independent consultant? Is there a specific process here to be followed other than just having a SIN and getting paid in Canada?
2) Is it better to get paid in US? Is that even possible?

Please advise urgently as we need to make a decision over the next week or so.

Reactions: Adil ayoub

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We just became a PR in Canada (waiting for the official PR card though). My employer in US is willing for me to continue work in Canada while I wait for my H4 EAD in US.

1) Can I work in Canada as an independent consultant? Is there a specific process here to be followed other than just having a SIN and getting paid in Canada?
2) Is it better to get paid in US? Is that even possible?

Please advise urgently as we need to make a decision over the next week or so.
How long are you going to be in Canada? Would encourage you to make an appointment with an accountant to see how it would be best tax-wise. to structure your business.

raptora

Oct 22, 2018
Also interested in this, as my US employer is interested in keeping me on as a contractor after I move to Canada as a PR. Would I need to file any particular paperwork, or just get paid into a Canadian account and make sure I report that income when it's tax time?

nichols19jere

Feb 15, 2019
Quebec
Category........
Are you US Citizen? I guess you can visit Canada and wait there. Or better ask some legal advice from immigration about it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also interested in this, as my US employer is interested in keeping me on as a contractor after I move to Canada as a PR. Would I need to file any particular paperwork, or just get paid into a Canadian account and make sure I report that income when it's tax time?
would suggest meeting with an accountant to create the best plan.

chintanvj

Jun 11, 2019
Hi,

A question along similar lines.

Will this count towards the citizenship requirements (3 years out of 5 years)??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

A question along similar lines.

Will this count towards the citizenship requirements (3 years out of 5 years)??
Yes - doesn't matter who you are working for as long as you are physically in Canada.