+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent !! Can I legally represent my husband at his citizenship interview ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
This is incorrect!

You must remain a PR in good standing until the oath of citizenship.
Yes this is true. But it is unclear is the OP was referring to Citizenship RO or PR RO. It makes it sounds like she was referring to Citizenship RO. If that is the case, then I believe that ZingyDNA's original comment that as long as the OP's husband meets Citizenship RO on the date of the application, he should be fine. But this is assume he still meets PR RO (but just has an expired PR card). I assume he does since the issue is not of qualifying for a PRTD, but the time it takes to get one.

candy2009

Dec 5, 2011
Wondering how he is managing in a foreign country without english or local language knowledge. Does he have an interpreter tag along with him always?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Yes this is true. But it is unclear is the OP was referring to Citizenship RO or PR RO. It makes it sounds like she was referring to Citizenship RO. If that is the case, then I believe that ZingyDNA's original comment that as long as the OP's husband meets Citizenship RO on the date of the application, he should be fine. But this is assume he still meets PR RO (but just has an expired PR card). I assume he does since the issue is not of qualifying for a PRTD, but the time it takes to get one.
Possibly I misunderstood. But based on what the OP wrote it seems as if the applicant is out of the PR RO within 80 days from now.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The test isn't required over 55 or proof of language abilities - but as far as I know, a working knowledge of one of Canada's languages is (or at least it was fairly recently). A friend of mind saw someone run into trouble about 2 years ago at the interview. The lady who was being interviewed couldn't string sentences together. Family member kept trying to intervene. Judge kept telling family member to stop and that the lady (applicant) needed to be able to answer on her own in either English or French. Judge was saying this was a serious problem and was starting to explain the importance of having a basic knowledge in one of Canada's official languages. My friend then had to leave the room and didn't hear the rest.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Wondering how he is managing in a foreign country without english or local language knowledge. Does he have an interpreter tag along with him always?
My dad lived in the US for over 40 years without ever really learning English with any fluency. So I know it is possible :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane Andrews

Jane Andrews

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto
Can you replace husband? By all means
Can you replace husband "just" for the citizenship interview? No
But if you are okay to live in the constant fear of citizenship being stripped because of fraud, then by all means go ahead.
You misunderstood me ! I did not mean replace husband physically I meant represent him legally

candy2009

Dec 5, 2011
My dad lived in the US for about 40 years without ever really learning English with any fluency. So I know it is possible :p
Totally understandable.. people do come to canada as well and live here without being fluent. It is just that the OPs husband has lived in canada to meet PR requirements.. got a job abroad in a country where he cant communicate in either the local or english language. If he had to apply for a visa to that country or speak with the hiring manager he must have used some form of communication. How would he even speak with his co-workers or to shop etc. To me all this proxy setup sounds fishy.

Reactions: qorax

Jane Andrews

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto
Totally understandable.. people do come to canada as well and live here without being fluent. It is just that the OPs husband has lived in canada to meet PR requirements.. got a job abroad in a country where he cant communicate in either the local or english language. If he had to apply for a visa to that country or speak with the hiring manager he must have used some form of communication. How would he even speak with his co-workers or to shop etc. To me all this proxy setup sounds fishy.
It’s not fishy it’s normal a lot of people older adults don’t speak good English but can understand a bit and manage a small conversation and they can also work in foreign countries in their native language since he works in entertainment with native language coworkers this is his situation

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You misunderstood me ! I did not mean replace husband physically I meant represent him legally
It doesn't matter how you want to represent him. It's mandatory that he be physically present at the interview.