+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent !! Can I legally represent my husband at his citizenship interview ?

Jane Andrews

Aug 28, 2018
Toronto
Can you replace husband? By all means
Can you replace husband "just" for the citizenship interview? No
But if you are okay to live in the constant fear of citizenship being stripped because of fraud, then by all means go ahead.
You TOTALLY misunderstood me I meant legally !!

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
The only question remaining now do they issue travel documents that can be used in like a two month period twice ? Instead of having to reapply again in such a short period ?
On my travel document it’s said one entry but I guess he could asked.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hopefully you're aware that as part of the interview, his English or French language abilities will be verbally assessed. Doesn't matter if he doesn't have to take the test or provide language evidence due to his age. A basic working knowledge of English or French is still a requirement. This is one of the many reasons why he needs to be there in person for the interview.
Actually, that's not correct. After age 55 has been reached, you don't need to prove or even demonstrate language capabilities. An interpreter is permitted for the actual interview, and the Oath. The Oath would need to be learned by rote, as it must be physically spoken in one or both (optional) of the official languages. I elected for English only ;). Having just gone through all of this, and being test exempt, I thought I'd check... I'll provide citations if requested.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Yes but as you know the travel document is only for one trip and after his interview he will travel back overseas, then once he gets his letter for oath ceremony he will again need to apply for another travel document
If he returns with a PRTD he is supposed to apply for his PR card renewal asap. If he doesn't and fly back overseas - his second time PRTD application abroad will get tricky / borderline in doldrums needing an interview with a vice consul to explain the emergency alongwith supporting documents.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hopefully you're aware that as part of the interview, his English or French language abilities will be verbally assessed...A basic working knowledge of English or French is still a requirement...
This is incorrect. As the OP's husband is over 55, knowledge of Canada and one of it's official languages is NOT REQUIRED*.

*During my interview there was a Chinese elderly gentleman being interviewed in the next desk, who was accompanied by his daughter, who was doing all the talking.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
The only question remaining now do they issue travel documents that can be used in like a two month period twice ? Instead of having to reapply again in such a short period ?
Generally PRTDs are issued for 'one' entry. Getting a multiple entry PRTD is a behemoth task. 99% not approved.

Edit: Replaced Google image with "my own" PRTD.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Generally PRTDs are issued for 'one' entry. Getting a multiple entry PRTD is a behemoth task. 99% not approved.

Isn't that a standard IM-1 initial entry visa? I can clearly see that the document number (COPR) starts with a "T".

Reactions: Avadava and qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Isn't that a standard IM-1 initial entry visa? I can clearly see that the document number (COPR) starts with a "T".
No. Original Entry Visa has ~Visa~ written atop in place of the all caps Canada. Plus, entry visas are issued for 6 months, while a PRTD is only valid for 4 months.

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
No. Original Entry Visa has ~Visa~ written atop in place of the all caps Canada. Plus, entry visas are issued for 6 months, while a PRTD is only valid for 4 months.
The picture you posted is clearly a first entry visa for immigrants (landing visa). It obviously has one entry since you can't land several times. And if I'm not mistaken, this is a Family Class sponsorship (FPC). It's identical to what I have in my passport from when I landed as a PR.

Also, not all entry visas are issued for 6 months. It depends on the validity of either your passport or your medical exam (whichever expires first).

Reactions: Goku and qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
The picture you posted is clearly a first entry visa for immigrants (landing visa). It obviously has one entry since you can't land several times. And if I'm not mistaken, this is a Family Class sponsorship (FPC). It's identical to what I have in my passport from when I landed as a PR.
That`s a Google image. Hang-in there ~ let me scan mine and reupload here.

Reactions: zardoz

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
It’s funny I got mine in 2010 and it was for 8 months and its said Canada visa and it also said 1 entry

Also, not all entry visas are issued for 6 months. It depends on the validity of either your passport or your medical exam (whichever expires first).

Reactions: dpenabill

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Edit: Replaced Google image with "my own" PRTD.
Much better :D... R(x)-1 being the PRTD code, where (x) represents the reason for issue.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/i-was-issued-r-1-prtd-what-does-this-mean.506020/#post-6178406

Read https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf Pages 7-9

Last edited:
Reactions: qorax

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Too many posts to sort out the correct versus the incorrect, the relevant tangents versus the irrelevant tangents. I hit "like" above for most of those I explicitly concur in.

SUMMARY of KEY OBSERVATIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS:

The documents check interview is in fact an INTERVIEW and personal presence is required. Applicant must attend. Applicant must personally answer the questions asked.

No language requirement for applicants over 55. Again, applicant must personally answer the questions asked but can do so through an APPROPRIATE interpreter . . . sometimes a family member is OK but NOT always. If, for example, the family member is also applying for citizenship, it is likely they will NOT be allowed to act as an interpreter or even otherwise accompany the applicant during the interview. Family member cannot answer for the applicant, even if the applicant is present, and if the family member appears to be answering for the applicant or otherwise helping the applicant answer questions, that too is a reason that family member might NOT be allowed to act as an interpreter or otherwise continue to accompany the applicant during the interview.

If the applicant cannot appear for the interview, it is best the applicant communicate with IRCC and ask to reschedule the interview. Unless the applicant has designated a personal representative, ONLY the applicant can communicate with IRCC by telephone. To have someone else communicate with IRCC (which given the language situation, appears to be the only way the applicant can), that person MUST be a designated personal representative. If the form was not included in original application, it can be submitted at any time.

If the applicant fails to get the interview rescheduled, and fails to appear, the interview will likely be rescheduled ONE TIME but I am not certain of this for an applicant scheduled only for an interview . . . IRCC will automatically reschedule the test-interview event for those who fail to show the FIRST time, and I would expect (without being sure of it) the same for those to be interviewed without taking the test.

Nonetheless, communicating with IRCC is probably important . . . and for sure necessary if a second-scheduled interview is missed.

Note: Inability to attend a scheduled event due to being abroad tends to invite suspicion. How much so depends on the particular details. If the applicant has been abroad so much in the last five years that he or she is cutting-it-close relative to complying with the PR Residency Obligation, that will especially increase the risk of concerns, non-routine processing, and potentially RQ-related questions and document requests.

As others have noted, if the applicant is abroad so much during the preceding five years that he or she is in breach of the PR RO (in Canada less than 730 days during the preceding five years) prior to the day the oath is taken, that will automatically render the individual INELIGIBLE for citizenship.

Tangentially: while a typical PR Travel Document is single-use, in appropriate circumstances some PRs living abroad (typically this means a PR living abroad accompanying a Canadian-citizen-spouse NOT PRs working abroad) are being issued a multi-use PR TD.

Meanwhile:

My only worry is that if I explain to them by email they then postpone his interview to months ahead and then ofcourse his oath would also be pushed ahead , yes he would then have his travel document by the time for the interview but it still means he will have to wait for his oath day which could be one month later or even three months later , due to his job overseas he can’t be away that long so he will travel back overseas again and ofcourse need to get another travel document again to come back for the oath , while his residency days in this second trip might be almost over , subsequently might affect the approval of his second travel document , that’s why it is crucial that we don’t delay this interview but how can you explain all this to cic???
While I do not fully grasp the situation, I get the gist of it, and the gist of it is that you are probably correct to be concerned about how all this is going to play out UNLESS he returns to attend the interview . . . and perhaps EVEN if he does manage to return and timely attend the interview. ESPECIALLY if, as your concern suggests, he has been outside Canada extensively in the last five years, so much so that unless he gets citizenship this year, or so, he will be running into a PR Residency Obligation compliance issue.

Situation probably risks non-routine processing and not taking the oath any time soon. It is possible that all will go well, especially if he can return in time to attend the interview, but there is a significant RISK of residence/presence related questions. Applicants who go abroad to work while the application is pending face an elevated risk of RQ-related non-routine processing, just because that indicates strong on-going ties abroad which invite concerns or questions about the accuracy of the presence calculation, inviting IRCC to take a closer look in order to verify the presence requirement was met.

Getting back to attend the interview could make the difference. Rescheduling tends to draw more attention.

He may be faced with some rather difficult personal decisions.