+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Applying for TRV for compassionate reasons HELP!

leanajoe

Aug 12, 2019
Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
21-Dec-2019
AOR Received.
23-12-2019
File Transfer...
05-02-2020
Med's Request
07-02-2020
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
My husband's (Canadian citizen) dad just died last night and we're looking at going to Canada ASAP. We're both in the UK.
Our permanent residency application is still in process, so I need to apply for a TRV if I want to go with him. Does anyone know the process and immediate requirements? I've read some but it's just so hard to process information right now. If anyone has gone through the same process, please leave your recommendations. Thank you.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband's (Canadian citizen) just died last night and we're looking at going to Canada ASAP. We're both in the UK.
Our permanent residency application is still in process, so I need to apply for a TRV if I want to go with him. Does anyone know the process and immediate requirements? I've read some but it's just so hard to process information right now. If anyone has gone through the same process, please leave your recommendations. Thank you.
Who is the deceased?

leanajoe

Aug 12, 2019
Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
21-Dec-2019
AOR Received.
23-12-2019
File Transfer...
05-02-2020
Med's Request
07-02-2020
Med's Done....
10-02-2020

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband's (Canadian citizen) dad just died last night and we're looking at going to Canada ASAP. We're both in the UK.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Your husband needs to obtain authorization from IRCC to travel (see link below). Does he already hold an approved TRV or eTA?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

I'm not sure it's going to be possible for you to travel at this time due to the COVID travel restrictions. Your husband falls under an exemption but I don't believe you do.

EDIT: You need to explain how you are applying for PR. I've assumed you are both applying through Express Entry or something like that. If that's not the case and your husband is either a Canadian citizen or PR, you need to say that since it will change the answer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We also need to know your citizenship / what passport you hold.

All of this info (as well as what I've asked above) is critical to giving you an accurate answer.

leanajoe

Aug 12, 2019
Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
21-Dec-2019
AOR Received.
23-12-2019
File Transfer...
05-02-2020
Med's Request
07-02-2020
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
We also need to know your citizenship / what passport you hold.

All of this info (as well as what I've asked above) is critical to giving you an accurate answer.
Sorry, I should have clarified. My husband is a Canadian Citizen working in the UK, I'm with him here.
I hold a Philippines passport.
We have applied for Spousal PR for me in December 2019 and have submitted medicals & biometrics but haven't heard back since Feb 2020, our file is being processed in CPC-Mississauga.
We were looking at the process for compassionate reasons - specifically attending a funeral - but the written process on CIC's website is all over. Just wondering if someone could give a summary of their experience, how it went, and how long it took. Thanks so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry, I should have clarified. My husband is a Canadian Citizen working in the UK, I'm with him here.
I hold a Philippines passport.
We have applied for Spousal PR for me in December 2019 and have submitted medicals & biometrics but haven't heard back since Feb 2020, our file is being processed in CPC-Mississauga.
We were looking at the process for compassionate reasons - specifically attending a funeral - but the written process on CIC's website is all over. Just wondering if someone could give a summary of their experience, how it went, and how long it took. Thanks so much!
You would submit a regular TRV application with a letter requesting expedited process for compassionate reasons.

This isn't what you will want to hear, but my advice is that your husband plan to travel alone without you. Processing times for TRVs are around 150 days from the UK right now. Even if yours is expedited, it's super hard for any of us to say how long that will take at this time.

I would personally recommend that your husband go ahead and travel without you. You can submit the TRV application with a letter requesting fast processing - however plan for the possibility that processing will take too long and this won't give you the opportunity to make a trip at this time.

Make sure your husband is aware of the mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine program in place right now and then also the requirement to quarantine for 11 days after the 3 day hotel quarantine.

leanajoe

Aug 12, 2019
Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
21-Dec-2019
AOR Received.
23-12-2019
File Transfer...
05-02-2020
Med's Request
07-02-2020
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
You would submit a regular TRV application with a letter requesting expedited process for compassionate reasons.

This isn't what you will want to hear, but my advice is that your husband plan to travel alone without you. Processing times for TRVs are around 150 days from the UK right now. Even if yours is expedited, it's super hard for any of us to say how long that will take at this time.

I would personally recommend that your husband go ahead and travel without you. You can submit the TRV application with a letter requesting fast processing - however plan for the possibility that processing will take too long and this won't give you the opportunity to make a trip at this time.

Make sure your husband is aware of the mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine program in place right now and then also the requirement to quarantine for 11 days after the 3 day hotel quarantine.
That's alright, we thought as much. It might not even be worth it right now for my husband if he can't be there for his family, too risky. We'll just have to plan for a longer visit later in the year. :( Thanks for all your help.

tajindertj

Jul 18, 2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2020
check this post. Will help expedite your process for sure. Might help. Sorry to hear about your loss.

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
Apply for a regular visitor visa explaining everything and submit it as paper application and request it to be urgent when you hand your application at visa office.
My brother and mom had to get visa like this, when you request for urgent visa, they put a sticker on your application,
My family was grant visa next day after submitting application
You have to explain it properly and attach a letter from funeral home

leanajoe

Aug 12, 2019
Philippines
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
21-Dec-2019
AOR Received.
23-12-2019
File Transfer...
05-02-2020
Med's Request
07-02-2020
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
Apply for a regular visitor visa explaining everything and submit it as paper application and request it to be urgent when you hand your application at visa office.
My brother and mom had to get visa like this, when you request for urgent visa, they put a sticker on your application,
My family was grant visa next day after submitting application
You have to explain it properly and attach a letter from funeral home
Did they get visa during COVID times? I don't think there's a visa office close to us or to my husband's family for us to submit an application in-person. But this is good to hear as a possibility, thank you.

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
Did they get visa during COVID times? I don't think there's a visa office close to us or to my husband's family for us to submit an application in-person. But this is good to hear as a possibility, thank you.
no, it was before covid, they had to drive for hours to submit it to the office, your husband is canadian, so they’ll give to you easily