+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UPS Screwed delivery before June 11th.

vancouverca

Mar 15, 2012
Sent my package Jun8 and got a confirmation from UPS stating that will be delivered by June 10th to CIC-Sydney. However UPS managed to delay it and now my package will be delivered JUN 11. Even though callcentre says their delivery guy talked to security at the door, my package will be processed under the current law and they understand the human error however they can not provide any written confirmation.

Any suggestions at this point?

ocanadao

Mar 3, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call ups again, record the conversation, and see if CIC took it or not. Guess that's the only thing you can do now

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your packages arrives on the 11th it will be processed under the new rules. I wouldn't believe what UPS is telling you (notice how they've refused to provide written confirmation?) CIC is militant about cut off dates.

Very sorry you got scr*wed. That must suck...

vancouverca

Mar 15, 2012
It really sucks ! I do not mind 2 years delay since i dont have any plans to move out. However this new c24 things really irritates me somehow. It is like you become citizen but not so citizen..

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
vancouverca said:
Sent my package Jun8 and got a confirmation from UPS stating that will be delivered by June 10th to CIC-Sydney. However UPS managed to delay it and now my package will be delivered JUN 11. Even though callcentre says their delivery guy talked to security at the door, my package will be processed under the current law and they understand the human error however they can not provide any written confirmation.

Any suggestions at this point?
You mean UPS call center or CIC call center? I find it hard to believe UPS call center has any say in what rule your citizenship application will be processed... Why/how would their delivery guy talk to the security guy?? The delivery guy and/or the security guy don't have any authority on your citizenship application, do they?

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
vancouverca said:
It really sucks ! I do not mind 2 years delay since i dont have any plans to move out. However this new c24 things really irritates me somehow. It is like you become citizen but not so citizen..
I don't understand why you said that.

By the way, UPS sucks! I would not send anything with them, I got few bad stories with them in the past during the PR process.

vancouverca

Mar 15, 2012
C24 gives more power to revoke your citizenship than the current law. That's why I don't really liked it.

When it comes to UPS, Yes I got my lessons and I agree, this was the 3rd. phone call, they just hang up on me.

Zing : It is UPS Call center that I talked. Apparently there are many packages being delayed and their security&investigation department already contacted with CIC-Sydney. But you are righ !t no written confirmation or what so ever. I just left with my hopes that's all..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vancouverca said:
Zing : It is UPS Call center that I talked. Apparently there are many packages being delayed and their security&investigation department already contacted with CIC-Sydney. But you are righ !t no written confirmation or what so ever. I just left with my hopes that's all..
If that's the case then maybe there's some hope. Guess there's nothing you can do now but wait and see. Good luck...

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
vancouverca said:
I see. There must be hundreds, if not thousands of application packages arriving on the last couple of days and Sydney's having problems receiving all of them. If CIC is aware of this practical problem, you might actually have some hope in that case...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The problem is that on any given business day, CPC Sydney receives at least hundreds of citizenship applications. Guess how many were delivered today? Guess how many rushed the last few days to get theirs in by June 10 and missed? My guess is that the answer to both is at least in the many hundreds, and that tomorrow the regular post and couriers will be delivering hundreds more applications made using the now outdated, unacceptable forms. My guess is these will go into a special pile, applications to be summarily returned to sender.

How to appeal to CIC for a special exemption?

That said, I suppose there is some possibility that CIC in Sydney will accept some applications after today as if they were delivered today. There are fairly high odds that the last couple days have taxed the local couriers' capacity to deliver on time. It would be no surprise at all that this is not an isolated example, but one among a large number.

So, in this situation, perhaps there is a possibility that Sydney will accommodate the couriers and accept some packages tomorrow as if delivered today. Seems very unlikely. But Sydney is a small place. I suspect the couriers there are well known to the receiving department at the CPC. So, maybe . . . but I hesitate to even acknowledge the possibility since the mere possibility may escalate the level of anxiety and this is probably already a painful enough, disappointing enough experience.

Some related observations regarding how CIC went about this:

CIC has been a bit coy and manipulative relative to the transitional provisions in the SCCA.

The information CIC has posted online states that as of June 11, only applications made with the revised forms will be accepted, the revised forms to become available on June 11. This is within CIC's authority per the Citizenship Act and already in force Regulations.

The Citizenship Act as revised states that an application is made as of the date a complete application is signed.

The transitional provisions in the SCCA provide that what determines whether the old or new requirements govern is based on the date the application is made.

Thus, technically, CIC is bound, by law, to govern a complete application made (signed) prior to June 11 pursuant to the old requirements, regardless of the date it is delivered to CIC, so long as it is not stale dated.

CIC, this government, wants a firm cut off, and not have to deal with trickling in applications using the old forms and the applicant expecting to qualify under the old requirements.

So, CIC has modified the application form as of June 11 and will return any application that is not complete using the new form as of June 11. Thus, any applications received June 11 or later using the old forms will not be accepted, they will be incomplete and returned, and will not constitute a made application, even though signed prior to June 11 by an applicant qualified as of the day before signing it.

We have not seen the new form as yet. No one will have the new form until tomorrow. Thus no one can sign the new form before Thursday, before June 11. Thus leaving no way to apply under the old law as of June 11 even if one could complete the new form and push for the old law to apply . . . postdating the form will not work because it will be obvious on its face it is postdated (since the form is not even available until June 11). Tricky CIC.

I am not sure of the legality of this maneuver but I am confident it will work, that this government will get away with skirting around the technicalities of the law about when an application is made in order to implement this absolute cut off. Tricky. Typical Harper government maneuvering.

This is probably why they are not making the form available until tomorrow, Thursday June 11.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
vancouverca said:
C24 gives more power to revoke your citizenship than the current law. That's why I don't really liked it.

When it comes to UPS, Yes I got my lessons and I agree, this was the 3rd. phone call, they just hang up on me.

If you don't plan on being a terrorist or being a traitor you don't nothing to worry about. Because those are pretty much the only conditions that you lose citizenship over. Plus you need to get convicted of the charge first too.

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A classmate of mine is engaged to a CTV reporter in Sydney, NS. I alerted her to the potential news story of CPC-Sydney being overwhelmed today, and simply refusing to accept packages. Which is what it sounds like, if the UPS delivery person had dealings with security.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi... Please take a deep breath and relax and just hope for the
best. Am sure UPS will deliver early morning and CIC will accept your application
with old rule...just be positive you cannot do anything at this moment so at least
hope for the best and to night I will pray for you..... take care..

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
bambino said:
A classmate of mine is engaged to a CTV reporter in Sydney, NS. I alerted her to the potential news story of CPC-Sydney being overwhelmed today, and simply refusing to accept packages. Which is what it sounds like, if the UPS delivery person had dealings with security.
My guess is that they'll take the applications instead of refusing to accept it. Then open each application after 1-2 months, see that those are old forms received on June 11th (when the additional new rules are already into effect), and return those applications.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't understand the UPS mistake. If the envelope arrived phisically today, you are in. If it will be delivered delayed for no matter what reasons, your application would be sent you back to give you the opportunity to apply with the new law. And if that's the case, you will be reimbursed so don't worry.