+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Updates on travel restriction

AhmedAlagha

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hello,

As per the new updates regarding travel restrictions for international students, the following is mentioned:
"The travel of asymptomatic international students who have the appropriate documents to enter Canada and whose DLI is on the list of institutions with approved COVID-19 readiness plans in place will be considered to be non-discretionary and non-optional, unless there is evidence that they are clearly coming to Canada for a discretionary or optional purpose, such as tourism"

Does this mean that we are forced to travel to canada, even though the winter term will still be delivered remotely? (given that the DLI is readiness-approved)

Thanks

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You aren't forced to travel anywhere, although remaining abroad may affect your eligibility for certain immigration things down the line if that's your plan.

AhmedAlagha

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
You aren't forced to travel anywhere, although remaining abroad may affect your eligibility for certain immigration things down the line if that's your plan.
Thank you for your reply.
What kind of things could be talking about? other than PGWM?

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
Would it make any immigration impact if you're pursuing a 4-year Bachelor's degree and you spend the first semester of your studies at home? As far as I know, you get the same CRS points if your program is 3 years and up long.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
I think they will introduce some flexiblity here considering that travelling in a pandemic is essentially a health risk to yourself. I cant imagine them forcing someone to take that risk, but lets see

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Would it make any immigration impact if you're pursuing a 4-year Bachelor's degree and you spend the first semester of your studies at home? As far as I know, you get the same CRS points if your program is 3 years and up long.
Yes, and more importantly, the requirement is to complete at least half the program in Canada. One semester is far from half.

Reactions: Tete

michellekits

Dec 23, 2020
please please help me..
I got student visa for winter term. But my husband got visitor visa along me to come to Canada. Will travel restriction will restrict him come to Canada with me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
please please help me..
I got student visa for winter term. But my husband got visitor visa along me to come to Canada. Will travel restriction will restrict him come to Canada with me.
Probably needs to get specific IRCC authorisation to travel as an immediate family member of a temp resident

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#authorization

michellekits

Dec 23, 2020
Bs65
Hi,

I reffered to links at there and found since I have approval for a student permit he also can join with me and authorization letter isn't required...finally I am happy

LorLor

Jul 27, 2020
Jamaica
Category........
STUDY
Bs65
Hi,

I reffered to links at there and found since I have approval for a student permit he also can join with me and authorization letter isn't required...finally I am happy
Hi
When do you plan to travel? Can you provide an update when you do please.
From Jamaica , spouse with visitors visa isn't allowed to travel with study permit holder.

michellekits

Dec 23, 2020

LorLor

Jul 27, 2020
Jamaica
Category........
STUDY

michellekits

Dec 23, 2020
yes. some border officers do such things. one of friend had open work permit and the officer was trying to stop him and only allowed the student to board. But he have manged to show those details in IRCC website and went to Canada. Canada has allowed this ,but it might be a misunderstanding those officers had.. :)

Reactions: LorLor

LorLor

Jul 27, 2020
Jamaica
Category........
STUDY
yes. some border officers do such things. one of friend had open work permit and the officer was trying to stop him and only allowed the student to board. But he have manged to show those details in IRCC website and went to Canada. Canada has allowed this ,but it might be a misunderstanding those officers had.. :)
Where will you be traveling from?