+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update birth of Canadian citizen for PR process

Sonajaan

Nov 15, 2018
hi, I am the sponsor and I recently gave birth in Toronto Canada do I have to update my child birth, I already informed them i was pregnant from beginning of my application. if so what are the forms and stuff I need to submit:

I think it is:
1MM5406- additional family information
Canadian Passport of child
Long birth certificate

Also how long will it take to update this new info ?
Will I have to do the whole process again?
So far it has been 8 months total since I submitted application, I’m waiting for my final DM from London visa office
Will this affect my application in any way, like would it cause a delay?

I am in worry.

Kindly seeking responses.

Thank you.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
if you are the sponsor and.....and gave birth in Toronto.....newborn is a citizen (refer citizen exceptions)....you don't have to add newborn to sponsor.

if you are the Principal Applicant.....and gave birth in Toronto.....newborn is a citizen (refer citizen exceptions).......update 1MM5406, Long birth certificate issued in Canada and maybe citizen certificate.

Nkayzee

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
Please
if you are the sponsor and.....and gave birth in Toronto.....newborn is a citizen (refer citizen exceptions)....you don't have to add newborn to sponsor.

if you are the Principal Applicant.....and gave birth in Toronto.....newborn is a citizen (refer citizen exceptions).......update 1MM5406, Long birth certificate issued in Canada and maybe citizen certificate.
What of a sponsor who is a citizen sponsoring the wife. The wife was pregnant when the application was submitted so gave birth outside Canada. Is the baby a citizen. Am I supposed to update it as well to my application. My hubby doesn't think so. We have sent all documents for my baby at our country embassy to get her own Canada passport. I am the principal applicant

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Please

What of a sponsor who is a citizen sponsoring the wife. The wife was pregnant when the application was submitted so gave birth outside Canada. Is the baby a citizen. Am I supposed to update it as well to my application. My hubby doesn't think so. We have sent all documents for my baby at our country embassy to get her own Canada passport. I am the principal applicant
if the father became a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization....then the newborn is a 1st generation born outside Canada and a Canadian citizen....and if that's the case, you may need to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship....and only need to update IMM5406 and send through IRCC webform to your visa office.....as the Principal Applicant must declare family members before landing as PR.....if your newborn is a citizen, the only form that needs update is IMM5406 only.

if the father is a Canadian citizen born outside Canada to a Canadian parent....your newborn is not a Canadian citizen and needs to be added to your current sponsorship application.

Nkayzee

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
if the father became a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization....then the newborn is a 1st generation born outside Canada and a Canadian citizen....and if that's the case, you may need to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship....and only need to update IMM5406 and send through IRCC webform to your visa office.....as the Principal Applicant must declare family members before landing as PR.....if your newborn is a citizen, the only form that needs update is IMM5406 only.

if the father is a Canadian citizen born outside Canada to a Canadian parent....your newborn is not a Canadian citizen and needs to be added to your current sponsorship application.
Ok . My spouse is a citizen by naturalization. Please I thought I'm expected to add info when they ask for it. Again, I also got information that when they send PPR they also ask you to fill that form. Do i have to wait till then or just update and send before PPR comes

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
  1. update IMM5406 with newborn
  2. send a copy of baby birth certificate
  3. send copy of payment receipt for application for proof of Canadian citizenship
send (1) and (2) and (3) through IRCC webform to your visa office.....better to send now.
  1. apply for Canadian travel passport for newborn (once proof of Canadian citizenship approved).....so newborn could travel with mother after PR visa is issued.

Nkayzee

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
  1. update IMM5406 with newborn
  2. send a copy of baby birth certificate
  3. send copy of payment receipt for application for proof of Canadian citizenship
send (1) and (2) and (3) through IRCC webform to your visa office.....better to send now.
  1. apply for Canadian travel passport for newborn (once proof of Canadian citizenship approved).....so newborn could travel with mother after PR visa is issued.
Ok thank you.