+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unpaid internship in winter

yodaseeker123

May 22, 2024
Hi there,

I was in my schools coop program looking to work in the winter. I hold a valid coop work permit as well. I couldn't find a job through my school's portal so I found an internship that paid via company shares(early startup so unpaid, I didn't make a single cent). I applied for a document to make my internship an official coop but my school denied it. I continued working this internship for the experience only as I work in tech and I wanted to boost my resume. I'm looking to apply for a study permit extension and was wondering if I had to include this, if it would create an issue etc.

Thanks.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi there,

I was in my schools coop program looking to work in the winter. I hold a valid coop work permit as well. I couldn't find a job through my school's portal so I found an internship that paid via company shares(early startup so unpaid, I didn't make a single cent). I applied for a document to make my internship an official coop but my school denied it. I continued working this internship for the experience only as I work in tech and I wanted to boost my resume. I'm looking to apply for a study permit extension and was wondering if I had to include this, if it would create an issue etc.

Thanks.
Sounds like you have been working illegally? You have a coop work permit and your school doesn't consider what you've done as the coop experience.
Your unpaid work has taken out a possible pay job for other people. company shares can be considered as payment... if that's official document as share holder.
(it's not considered volunteering if the job could be done by a paid worker)