Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
Canada does a lot of business with US, probably its a good idea to look for a job in a small company
companies at lower level just to get in and you can rise gradually which will help u to transfer to US
office....even if it means staying in Canada and getting passport and then leaving.
Think that you are going to struggle 5 yrs of ur life in Canada for a better life in US.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
david1697 said:
I have first time arrived to US in 1994, over 20 years ago.

Immigration was HARD back then. I mean that's what at least everyone in US I knew was saying. Nothing was easy.
First of all, you really had to WORK. You had to literally WORK, WORK and WORK.
If you had a full time job, you had to be busy every single minute of the 40 hours.
I would say, in many aspects working was harder back in early/mid 90's than it is today:
Morale was high, expectations were high, if ANYTHING someone got at store was of poor quality (including customer service), you would hear people say "Do this right! this is AMERICA!" Those were magic words, manager would run up to you and get things fixed right away.
Studying at the college was difficult, even at community college. Students there were well prepared, teachers highly demanding and overall sense was that you were in for some serious competition.
People, as a rule, struggled for years before settling in. Especially those who had no English or had poor command of English.
Even if they were highly qualified professionals they had to take menial jobs (dish washing, dirt cleaning, fast food) until they learned proper English and could apply for better jobs.

BUT!!!!!!!! Once you tried, everything worked out !!!! Once you had proper English, there were endless opportunities and plenty of white collar jobs.
After couple of years immigrants were becoming choosy and rejecting a lot of job offers, selecting only the best.
Temp agencies would make an appointment, take your application and find you a job, all in one or two days
Jobs used to be advertised on newspapers, there was no internet and no idiotic "key word" schemes to by-pass a robot and get to HR.
You could actually pick up the phone, call to a hiring manager and get a job interview on the spot!
There were no redundant tests and repeated interviews, with calls after 3rd(final ) interview advising that you were great, just not good enough to be selected. No! If you were a good candidate, all it took was ONE interview, and you were told , right there and then "You are hired!"

Three to four bedroom houses used to cost $100,000-$150,000 in a suburb of a megalopolis, which was the best place to be , safe , sound and prestigious.
That means $600-$900 monthly mortgage payment was buying you your own house.

Once you finished your studies in college or specialized school, jobs were abundant! College degree were getting you a $40K job, as a fresh out of college graduate, no long suffering road to find a job, just some hard work and dedication (a month or two after graduation), and you were hired.
Those who went to IT schools, got MS certificates in a matter of few months, were sought after on monster.com and elsewhere.
I know guy, an immigrant with not perfect English, who studied for 4 months and got a $45K offer, with ZERO work experience.
$45K when 3 BR detached family house was costing $100,000 (the same house in the same location today costs over $350,000, so do the math and figure what the buying power of 45K used to be).

Yes, life was hard and difficult, you had to struggle, you had to work your @ @ $ off, but there was a reward if you tried. Things actually WORKED!

Those who come and say "Oh you have to be prepared, as an immigrant, life will be difficult the first few years", I want to say "DUH!"

As if I wasn't an immigrant, as if I don't know what immigration is. No, dear friends, what we have today is not an ordinary immigration experience as it used to be when ECONOMY WAS GOOD. As hard and difficult it was then, it is nothing today like it was then.

Today we are squirrels in the wheel, we are in a sperm competition for an egg, there are hundreds of us for each vacancy out there, we are NOT moving forward, we are right where we stand, no matter how much effort we make and how fast we try to run. We just get exhausted and run out of steam, because there is no forward movement! And we will get old, as other poster said, and not even benefit from any improvement by the time it happens (and IF it happens in observable future, which is a big IF there).

Please, be realistic. there is a serious issue, problem with current state of economy. There is an enormous , abnormal oversupply of labor force and extreme scarcity of white collar jobs, and this has all started with recession. On top of that we have sky-high real estate costs , while wages get depressed (due to oversupply of labor and scarcity of jobs) , and those of us who are still employed are having to do the job of three (because firms, to cut costs, downsized and put more work on the shoulders of fewer workers) , morale is low,quality of product and customer service is low, people are not happy, crime rate is high (I don't care about statistics, if I see in a "good neighborhood" a bulletproof glass at the gas station and seller who is hiding behind it at night, scared of every customer, I know it's not as safe as it used to be and people are afraid for their safety).
Things are not working. Students pay a lot more for school ( colleges used to cost $19K per year, today they charge $40K per year), they graduate with huge loans and are depressed in this market where they spends months to get a job (and this is US I am talking about, which is still better than Canada as far as economy is concerned).

No, this is not ordinary immigration experience. This is an experience of life during some serious recession, folks. And in Canada you can't even get an interview after applying for a job (at least in US you will get one or two interviews per week if you apply for as many jobs, and eventually you will get some job offer, may be not the best, but something you can hang on to until you find a better one, and you don't have to drive taxis or flip burgers if you have white collar qualifications and good command of English).

This is not hard, this is just not working. Two different things, IMHO.
That's the thing... Brilliantly explained the whole problem of the problems the skilled professional are having today.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
aashay12 said:
Canada does a lot of business with US, probably its a good idea to look for a job in a small company
companies at lower level just to get in and you can rise gradually which will help u to transfer to US
office....even if it means staying in Canada and getting passport and then leaving.
Think that you are going to struggle 5 yrs of ur life in Canada for a better life in US.
From recent reports I have from my friends applying for a positions in US, the moment they see that you are in Canada they are out of interest to hire, because they know the visa issues when they have to hire Canadians.

trytry

Jan 16, 2015
david1697 said:
I have first time arrived to US in 1994, over 20 years ago.

Immigration was HARD back then. I mean that's what at least everyone in US I knew was saying. Nothing was easy.
First of all, you really had to WORK. You had to literally WORK, WORK and WORK.
If you had a full time job, you had to be busy every single minute of the 40 hours.
I would say, in many aspects working was harder back in early/mid 90's than it is today:
Morale was high, expectations were high, if ANYTHING someone got at store was of poor quality (including customer service), you would hear people say "Do this right! this is AMERICA!" Those were magic words, manager would run up to you and get things fixed right away.
Studying at the college was difficult, even at community college. Students there were well prepared, teachers highly demanding and overall sense was that you were in for some serious competition.
People, as a rule, struggled for years before settling in. Especially those who had no English or had poor command of English.
Even if they were highly qualified professionals they had to take menial jobs (dish washing, dirt cleaning, fast food) until they learned proper English and could apply for better jobs.

BUT!!!!!!!! Once you tried, everything worked out !!!! Once you had proper English, there were endless opportunities and plenty of white collar jobs.
After couple of years immigrants were becoming choosy and rejecting a lot of job offers, selecting only the best.
Temp agencies would make an appointment, take your application and find you a job, all in one or two days
Jobs used to be advertised on newspapers, there was no internet and no idiotic "key word" schemes to by-pass a robot and get to HR.
You could actually pick up the phone, call to a hiring manager and get a job interview on the spot!
There were no redundant tests and repeated interviews, with calls after 3rd(final ) interview advising that you were great, just not good enough to be selected. No! If you were a good candidate, all it took was ONE interview, and you were told , right there and then "You are hired!"

Three to four bedroom houses used to cost $100,000-$150,000 in a suburb of a megalopolis, which was the best place to be , safe , sound and prestigious.
That means $600-$900 monthly mortgage payment was buying you your own house.

Once you finished your studies in college or specialized school, jobs were abundant! College degree were getting you a $40K job, as a fresh out of college graduate, no long suffering road to find a job, just some hard work and dedication (a month or two after graduation), and you were hired.
Those who went to IT schools, got MS certificates in a matter of few months, were sought after on monster.com and elsewhere.
I know guy, an immigrant with not perfect English, who studied for 4 months and got a $45K offer, with ZERO work experience.
$45K when 3 BR detached family house was costing $100,000 (the same house in the same location today costs over $350,000, so do the math and figure what the buying power of 45K used to be).

Yes, life was hard and difficult, you had to struggle, you had to work your @ @ $ off, but there was a reward if you tried. Things actually WORKED!

Those who come and say "Oh you have to be prepared, as an immigrant, life will be difficult the first few years", I want to say "DUH!"

As if I wasn't an immigrant, as if I don't know what immigration is. No, dear friends, what we have today is not an ordinary immigration experience as it used to be when ECONOMY WAS GOOD. As hard and difficult it was then, it is nothing today like it was then.

Today we are squirrels in the wheel, we are in a sperm competition for an egg, there are hundreds of us for each vacancy out there, we are NOT moving forward, we are right where we stand, no matter how much effort we make and how fast we try to run. We just get exhausted and run out of steam, because there is no forward movement! And we will get old, as other poster said, and not even benefit from any improvement by the time it happens (and IF it happens in observable future, which is a big IF there).

Please, be realistic. there is a serious issue, problem with current state of economy. There is an enormous , abnormal oversupply of labor force and extreme scarcity of white collar jobs, and this has all started with recession. On top of that we have sky-high real estate costs , while wages get depressed (due to oversupply of labor and scarcity of jobs) , and those of us who are still employed are having to do the job of three (because firms, to cut costs, downsized and put more work on the shoulders of fewer workers) , morale is low,quality of product and customer service is low, people are not happy, crime rate is high (I don't care about statistics, if I see in a "good neighborhood" a bulletproof glass at the gas station and seller who is hiding behind it at night, scared of every customer, I know it's not as safe as it used to be and people are afraid for their safety).
Things are not working. Students pay a lot more for school ( colleges used to cost $19K per year, today they charge $40K per year), they graduate with huge loans and are depressed in this market where they spends months to get a job (and this is US I am talking about, which is still better than Canada as far as economy is concerned).

No, this is not ordinary immigration experience. This is an experience of life during some serious recession, folks. And in Canada you can't even get an interview after applying for a job (at least in US you will get one or two interviews per week if you apply for as many jobs, and eventually you will get some job offer, may be not the best, but something you can hang on to until you find a better one, and you don't have to drive taxis or flip burgers if you have white collar qualifications and good command of English).

This is not hard, this is just not working. Two different things, IMHO.
Chaa gayee guru what a post...Awesome...where are you from bro.

mazleen

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Malaysia
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Dec 2014
AOR Received.
AOR2: 16th March 2015
File Transfer...
9th March 2015.E-cas in process: 22nd August 2015
Med's Done....
8th Dec 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27th August 2015. DM : 27th August 2015.Passport sent:2nd Sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
11th Sept 2015
LANDED..........
my flight is on 19th Nov 2015 :)
With all the problems that you guys mention, why a lot of people still applying to migrate to Canada? Either they don't know what's going on or they know but want to try anyway.

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
mazleen said:
With all the problems that you guys mention, why a lot of people still applying to migrate to Canada? Either they don't know what's going on or they know but want to try anyway.
Tons of smart and aggressive marketing mostly.
Just look at those ridiculous ratings, "the best country to live", "the best city of earth", "the best passport to travel" and other bull$%^&. A handful of Western nations make those ratings up themselves, they are not really honest research based rankings.
And, having said all that, Canada is not bad. You can live here and you'll be for the most part ok. It's just not nearly as good as it's portrayed in advertisements, especially for a professional newcomer.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
DirectEnergy said:
Tons of smart and aggressive marketing mostly.
Just look at those ridiculous ratings, "the best country to live", "the best city of earth", "the best passport to travel" and other bull$%^&. A handful of Western nations make those ratings up themselves, they are not really honest research based rankings.
And, having said all that, Canada is not bad. You can live here and you'll be for the most part ok. It's just not nearly as good as it's portrayed in advertisements, especially for a professional newcomer.
well, immigration is pretty much a money-making industry like any other.

And recently The Economist rated Toronto #1 on its 'safe city index' - can you believe it?

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
Smart people are those who the right thing at the right time and not necessarily the educated ones...
Coming to US and looking for a job is a great idea, only if u have a green card.
Going to Canada even having PR card/passport to loook for jobs is foolishness.
You can leverage Canada to your advantage if you can...there is little struggle initailly
but it can work....One can do business with US and Mexico. If you are a person who wants to
live in Canada and make money abroad you can do that. Cant blame Canada that they dont have the
market the US has. Canada can be used as a great leverage to start business in US or Mexico..
Since Canada's corporate tax is lower than US, most companies take advantage of that by buying
Canadian companies like BK got timmies and shifted their base in Canada.
A lot can be done with Canadian passport if you have the enteprenurial skill to hunt for opprtunities.
So looking for job within Canada will be a dream, but there will be much better chance you could have
if you want to start something of your own....with Canadian passport.
Remember business does not any need any qualification, nothing....You dont have to go to school to prove
that you are enteprenurial, it comes with time and experience and motivation.
We all can bash Canada on the forum, but to be honest its much better country than US
to live and have a family and retire(besides the weather)

trytry

Jan 16, 2015
aashay12 said:
Smart people are those who the right thing at the right time and not necessarily the educated ones...
Coming to US and looking for a job is a great idea, only if u have a green card.
You can leverage Canada to your advantage if you can...there is little struggle initailly
but it can work....One can do business with US and Mexico. If you are a person who wants to
live in Canada and make money abroad you can do that. Cant blame Canada that they dont have the
market the US has. Canada can be used as a great leverage to start business in US or Mexico..
Since Canada's corporate tax is lower than US, most companies take advantage of that by buying
A lot can be done with Canadian passport if you have the enteprenurial skill to hunt for opprtunities.
So looking for job within Canada will be a dream, but there will be much better chance you could have
Remember business does not any need any qualification, nothing....You dont have to go to school to prove
We all can bash Canada on the forum, but to be honest its much better country than US
Thumbs up, when you are coming to Canada Aashay, read your posts, seems you came and gone to US, wanna meet you, how about coffee buddy at Tims

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aashay12 said:
aashay12, do you know what exactly you want to do?

I have thought about what you are thinking now, even went to Canadian Embassy in US, researched the http://www.export.gov/canada/, looked up the trends (what is being exported from US to Canada and vice versa), made cold calls to companies, spoke to various individuals and so on.

It's not 1960' or 1980's or even 1990's out there, I can tell you that. Those established in business won't waste a time with you (though some will be very polite and pretend that they are taking you seriously, but they will quickly disappear once they figure you are some sort of a desperate start-up). Having an Entrepreneurial Spirit alone wont get you too far.

First , what exactly you want to do? Second, how exactly are you going to accomplish it?
Whatever you try to do, chances are a lot of people are already doing it, and those with greatest market share also have the greatest advantage (cost efficient) , which means you will have to spent out of your own pocket to market your services/goods at the same level as your competition. With free access to and exchange of information you can't just hope that your target audience doesn't know about alternatives.

I wish you lots of luck, just don't hold your breath on it.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
Yes i know what i want to do and i am working on it right now....
using my time in US to do the prep....meeting people.
Nobody said it will be easy, it the testing time....i will make it or break it.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good thing is you are only dreaming now, you can enjoy this time before you wake up and see just how it really is :)

Good luck.

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
well u gotta to try before u fail or succeed, so trying is no harm.
i know its hard man....but thats the nature of the beast.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aashay12 said:
well u gotta to try before u fail or succeed, so trying is no harm.
i know its hard man....but thats the nature of the beast.
The way business is done these days is the same you look for a job: you need a "network".
You also need solid finances. You especially need strong financial standing if you have no network (your strong financial standing will make you a desirable counterpart, so other businessmen will want to network with you).
What do you have?

I know you have no plans and have no idea how you want to do a US-CA business , but at very least what do you have? :)

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
i will surely post it when its up and running....