+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unemployed Canadian sponsoring American spouse (both unemployed)

justgrey

Nov 20, 2018
My partner (Canadian citizen) and I (American) are planning to go through the outland spousal sponsorship process soon. I am hoping to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation or has been approved as a sponsor while being unemployed.

We are aware that there is no income requirement, but today he brought up a good point that him being unemployed the last three years may hurt our application. He has been living off of his savings and still has about $100,000 available to him. Will this be enough to show that he is able to support us both while he looks for a job? He does have employment history, but like I said, it's been a while since he worked. He has not received government assistance. He will write a letter saying that he will be searching for a new job and that he will use his savings to support us during this time.

I personally do not have much money at all and I will not be employed during this sponsorship process. I read that applicants submitting a note saying how they plan to support themselves is also a good idea. Is having a handwritten note from my father saying he will support me financially during my unemployment acceptable? I will take and greatly appreciate any advice you feel like giving me. Thank you.

I would also like to ask, is it necessary for me (applicant) to show proof of employment as well? If so, this may be a problem because I have always been supported by my father and have only had one short-term job at a fast food restaurant. I never made enough money to file taxes in my state so I have no real proof of ever being employed I guess. I can and will happily find work once I am able in Canada, but where I live currently there are no jobs at all within walking distance and I cannot drive. All I could provide were the last several clock in/clock out tickets showing I did actually work at a burger place.

Again, thank you. And sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I'm brand new here and quite worried about our situation.

EDIT: I am sorry, I know this question gets posted so often, but I felt like it was important to ask about our situation specifically, both of us being unemployed and me (applicant) not having any work history...

Last edited:
Reactions: journey21

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My partner (Canadian citizen) and I (American) are planning to go through the outland spousal sponsorship process soon. I am hoping to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation or has been approved as a sponsor while being unemployed.

We are aware that there is no income requirement, but today he brought up a good point that him being unemployed the last three years may hurt our application. He has been living off of his savings and still has about $100,000 available to him. Will this be enough to show that he is able to support us both while he looks for a job? He does have employment history, but like I said, it's been a while since he worked. He has not received government assistance. He will write a letter saying that he will be searching for a new job and that he will use his savings to support us during this time.

I personally do not have much money at all and I will not be employed during this sponsorship process. I read that applicants submitting a note saying how they plan to support themselves is also a good idea. Is having a handwritten note from my father saying he will support me financially during my unemployment acceptable? I will take and greatly appreciate any advice you feel like giving me. Thank you.

I would also like to ask, is it necessary for me (applicant) to show proof of employment as well? If so, this may be a problem because I have always been supported by my father and have only had one short-term job at a fast food restaurant. I never made enough money to file taxes in my state so I have no real proof of ever being employed I guess. I can and will happily find work once I am able in Canada, but where I live currently there are no jobs at all within walking distance and I cannot drive. All I could provide were the last several clock in/clock out tickets showing I did actually work at a burger place.

Again, thank you. And sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I'm brand new here and quite worried about our situation.
There is no minimum income requirement but you need to show IRCC that you can support yourselves in Canada without welfare. Savings and family assistance are acceptable proofs.

You don't need to show proof of employment.

justgrey

Nov 20, 2018
There is no minimum income requirement but you need to show IRCC that you can support yourselves in Canada without welfare. Savings and family assistance are acceptable proofs.

You don't need to show proof of employment.
Thank you so much for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. I knew about the no minimum income requirement but I just imagined that seeing I had no employment history would look awful on my part... My partner will support us both with his savings and will look for a job, but it'll be after the application submission. I'll just have my father write a note saying he will support me if needed.

Reactions: journey21

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. I knew about the no minimum income requirement but I just imagined that seeing I had no employment history would look awful on my part... My partner will support us both with his savings and will look for a job, but it'll be after the application submission. I'll just have my father write a note saying he will support me if needed.
Many sponsors and/or applicants have no work history. There are students, stay-at-home parents, people from cultures where they didn't need to work etc. It's not an issue.

Attak

Dec 29, 2016
Your sponsor employment history is not really an issue.The sponsor must show that he or she is not on welfare in Canada, have no bankruptcy issues or not in previous relationship .what you should be worry is whether there is a genuine relationship which requires documentary evidence depending on the type of relationship. The principal applicant and sponsor must explain their circumstances prior to their relationship. If sponsor is unemployed there must be explanation.

Reactions: justgrey

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
@justgrey Regarding to your employment history. Even if you do not required to show how much you made with your previous employment, you should still fill out the application forms with honesty. There are forms for applicant's address and employment history in the application package. Put those "fast food casual" work down even if you never filed tax. They are asking employment history, not how much tax your paid nor how much money you made. They just want a complete profile of you, the applicant.

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
@justgrey Regarding to your employment history. Even if you do not required to show how much you made with your previous employment, you should still fill out the application forms with honesty. There are forms for applicant's address and employment history in the application package. Put those "fast food casual" work down even if you never filed tax. They are asking employment history, not how much tax your paid nor how much money you made. They just want a complete profile of you, the applicant.
This is spot on. When you pull up the forms you'll see they ask for your history: education, "personal" (employment stuff will go here), and addresses. Fill these sections out as best and honestly as you can, but be sure to not leave any gaps. For the employment information, they're looking for the time period, employer, location, etc. and not how much you made. The financial stuff will be on the sponsor. The fact that he has money in the bank is a plus.

As another person noted, perhaps your main concern should be demonstrating that the relationship is genuine.

One last word of advice: Don't feel as though you're confined to the boxes on a form. You can always use additional sheets of paper to explain parts of the forms that might seem nebulous. Just be judicious!