+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unauthorized work before pgwp...Will it affect PR application under CEC?

jainy

Dec 12, 2018
Hi,

I worked before applying for pgwp for less than a month. I now realize that this is unauthorized work. I want to use part of my hours during my implied status (at this same job) for my CEC hours. I’m wondering what my options are and has anyone been in a similar situation? Have they successfully received their PR?

I’ll appreciate any suggestions.

lmorelato

Apr 6, 2019
I'm under the same situation, worked for 2 weeks after graduation and before applying for PGWP, I didn't know it was wrong... I will watch this thread.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
While this is unauthorized work, IRCC has been somewhat lenient with this specific case (eligible for PGWP, started working a couple weeks before getting PGWP) since it’s fairly common.

your best bet is to explain the situation, apologize for not understanding the rules, and make sure you don’t claim points/work ex for the days that you worked without authorization. The one year period of eligible work must be after you got the PGWP (or otherwise legal work, on a prior work permit or whatever)

lmorelato

Apr 6, 2019
While this is unauthorized work, IRCC has been somewhat lenient with this specific case (eligible for PGWP, started working a couple weeks before getting PGWP) since it’s fairly common.

your best bet is to explain the situation, apologize for not understanding the rules, and make sure you don’t claim points/work ex for the days that you worked without authorization. The one year period of eligible work must be after you got the PGWP (or otherwise legal work, on a prior work permit or whatever)
Thank you for your answer. So, would be better sending an LOE with my PR application...

Regarding claiming for experience (CEC), after reading some threads I assume that I can count on my experience in the day I submitted my PGWP process (started legal work) and not in the day I received my PGWP. Is that right?

My timeline:
- I finished studies on Dec 14th, 2018 (I was working full-time here because of my coop term)
- I got transcripts and on the same day, I submitted my PGWP on Jan 2nd, 2019 (the school gave me the transcriptions 15 days after finishing studies).
- I got my PGWP on Feb 26th, 2019.

In my case, I assume I could claim my experience starting on January 2nd.

Thank you again!

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, you can definitely claim your experience starting Jan 2nd. In fact, you may even be able to claim work from Dec 14 - Jan 2nd, since the criteria for completing your course of study states "

"receiving written confirmation (such as an official letter or transcript) from the educational institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study. Calculation of 180 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first. The onus is on the applicant to provide proof of the date the transcript is received. Officers may also confirm this date with the educational institution."

Since I don't know your exact situation, I can't be certain - but if you did NOT receive any "formal written notification of program completion" prior to getting the transcripts, you were working legally. However, if you got a "Congrats, you graduated" letter/email on Dec 14, then it may be considered as formal notification of completion. Depends on what you got, and when you got it. You should mention the fact that you applied for the PGWP on the same day you got your transcripts. If you don't need that 14 days to be eligible, don't claim 'em.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

lmorelato

Apr 6, 2019
Yes, you can definitely claim your experience starting Jan 2nd. In fact, you may even be able to claim work from Dec 14 - Jan 2nd, since the criteria for completing your course of study states "

"receiving written confirmation (such as an official letter or transcript) from the educational institution indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study. Calculation of 180 days begins the day the student’s final marks are issued or the day formal written notification of program completion is received, whichever comes first. The onus is on the applicant to provide proof of the date the transcript is received. Officers may also confirm this date with the educational institution."

Since I don't know your exact situation, I can't be certain - but if you did NOT receive any "formal written notification of program completion" prior to getting the transcripts, you were working legally. However, if you got a "Congrats, you graduated" letter/email on Dec 14, then it may be considered as formal notification of completion. Depends on what you got, and when you got it. You should mention the fact that you applied for the PGWP on the same day you got your transcripts. If you don't need that 14 days to be eligible, don't claim 'em.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html
Good point! I didn't receive any letter or even a simple email saying I had completed my course.

In fact, I remember I was worried if I had a good grade. The only thing the school said is that student transcriptions were there on a Facebook post, lol.

On the same day I saw the post I got it and I send it. I think that a good indicator was that my PGWP was approved without any problems, I remember I sent my job letter that time, because I asked for my wife work visa as well.

I won't claim any experience before submitting my PGWP, I think it's better don't taking any risks just for 15 days more.

Thank you so much.

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
Good point! I didn't receive any letter or even a simple email saying I had completed my course.

In fact, I remember I was worried if I had a good grade. The only thing the school said is that student transcriptions were there on a Facebook post, lol.

On the same day I saw the post I got it and I send it. I think that a good indicator was that my PGWP was approved without any problems, I remember I sent my job letter that time, because I asked for my wife work visa as well.

I won't claim any experience before submitting my PGWP, I think it's better don't taking any risks just for 15 days more.

Thank you so much.
Hi I'm in the same situation with you. Worked 2 weeks on campus after graduate & before applying PGWP. Would you mind sharing updates about your CEC application? I'm really nervous now and don't know if they would be understandable if I disclose that two weeks.
Thanks a lot!

jainy

Dec 12, 2018
Hi guys,

I am in the last stage of my PR application. I didn't mention anything about my unauthorized experience as per the advice given by my immigration consultant. She said to assume that I don't know anything as it is a very common mistake. I haven't had any issues yet though.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020
Hi I'm in the same situation with you. Worked 2 weeks on campus after graduate & before applying PGWP. Would you mind sharing updates about your CEC application? I'm really nervous now and don't know if they would be understandable if I disclose that two weeks.
Thanks a lot!
I had the same situation and that work was even showed on the employment letter I submitted to IRCC. I didn't write any letter to cic explaining it. I passed my eligibility without any issue. Every case and officer is different but just wanted to share my situation. Hope it helps.

jainy

Dec 12, 2018
I had the same situation and that work was even showed on the employment letter I submitted to IRCC. I didn't write any letter to cic explaining it. I passed my eligibility without any issue. Every case and officer is different but just wanted to share my situation. Hope it helps.
Exactly, I also had it as apart of my employment letter. I just never counted the hours for express entry and submitted it.

Reactions: Angel1113

horizonj

Jun 9, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-06-2020
Hi, did you call IRCC or ordered GCMS notes to know your status? My AOR is also Jun. When I called the other day, agent said final decision is approved, not shown in my profile though.

I also had 2 weeks of unauthorized work before applying PGWP, I didn't claim points for that work though as those were just my part time jobs. I didn't mention it in my LOE and I supposed it was fine.

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Glad to hear that everything is going well for you

Reactions: Angel1113

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
Hi, did you call IRCC or ordered GCMS notes to know your status? My AOR is also Jun. When I called the other day, agent said final decision is approved, not shown in my profile though.

I also had 2 weeks of unauthorized work before applying PGWP, I didn't claim points for that work though as those were just my part time jobs. I didn't mention it in my LOE and I supposed it was fine.
Hi just a quick question, did you include the work experience in work history or personal history? If you filled it in the forms, did IRCC ask you any documents regarding the work if you didn't claim points for it?

horizonj

Jun 9, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-06-2020
Hi just a quick question, did you include the work experience in work history or personal history? If you filled it in the forms, did IRCC ask you any documents regarding the work if you didn't claim points for it?
I put it in the personal history, not in the work section. Only those you claim points you will put in the work history and you will need employment reference for that.

Placeboeffect

Oct 25, 2020
I put it in the personal history, not in the work section. Only those you claim points you will put in the work history and you will need employment reference for that.
Thanks! So basically we don't have to prepare documents or the work experiences put in personal history?