+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unaccompanied minor looking for asylum...HELP

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I'm a 17 yo girl my father is a Spaniard and my mother is Cuban (I was born in Spain), I hold both a Spanish and a Cuban passport, can I benefit from the "Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement" at the US-Canada border?

I'm a minor and my parents and I we're currently living in Cuba, I'm here against my will and I don't agree with the Communist Dictatorship of this country. I don't have close family left in Spain, they are all living in Cuba.

Nor I have close family in neither the US or Canada but I'd like to ask for asylum in Canada since I have friends living there and they agreed to take care of me until I turn 18. And I do know that it would be FAR more easier for me to ask for asylum in the US since Cubans have "special privileges" when it comes to claim asylum in the US.

My plans are going to Mexico from Cuba using my Spanish passport and cross the border to the US, then I have close friends who can drive me to Buffalo. Then I would take the bus and cross the Canada-US border and ask for asylum using my Cuban passport.

If I do this, what would happen to me? Would they send me back to Cuba? To the US? To Mexico? Even if I have known adults willing to take care of me when I still a minor would they send me to a foster family?
I really need this information.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This isn't doable since you already hold Spanish citizenship and have the option of living there. The fact you have friends in Canada unfortunately doesn't change anything. You have no real claim to asylum.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I think the Spanish passport is going to cause you some issues. There seems to be no reason you couldn't just move back to Spain.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I see, but I'm still a minor and it's not like I have many options in Spain,I have nothing to hold onto: I won't have family, friends, money or real estate.
In Canada instead I have someone willing to become my custodian.

But it's fine, at least in the US I'll be granted asylum if I show a Cuban passport (And I know a bunch of people like me that got political asylum in the US when holding both a Cuban and an European citizenship).

Thanks for your answer

refugeeseeker

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Meaning of Refugee is a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
refugeeseeker said:
Meaning of Refugee is a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.
Not only because of this.

Taxed

Jul 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-2015
Doc's Request.
11-2015
AOR Received.
04-2015
Med's Request
11-2015
Med's Done....
11-2015
Interview........
9-2016 ARC Approved.: 9-2016 CSQ Issued.....: 2-2017 Re-Med's Request...: 4-2017 Re-Med's Done : 4-2017
Passport Req..
04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-2017
LANDED..........
05-2017
Frisk said:
I see, but I'm still a minor and it's not like I have many options in Spain,I have nothing to hold onto: I won't have family, friends, money or real estate.
In Canada instead I have someone willing to become my custodian.

But it's fine, at least in the US I'll be granted asylum if I show a Cuban passport (And I know a bunch of people like me that got political asylum in the US when holding both a Cuban and an European citizenship).

Thanks for your answer
You just answered yourself here.
If you apply and you go the refugee hearing, the judge will you why you didnt go to spain, you will tell him no family, friend, money, job, real estate ect.
You will be contradicting yourself in this case because he will tell you, when you came to Canada you didnt have any of this as well.
Even if you apply for asylum in the US, i dont see how you will be accepted given that you hold a spanish passport. But still you have better luck in the US than in Canada.