+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to Re-Patriate Prior to PRTD End Date (Request New Now or Once Lapsed?)

CanuckBoy

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

We applied for a PRTD early in 2020 with intention to re-patriate by this summer. At that time we had no idea how bad the pandemic would get and that along w the emergence of variants, the impositon of the expensive hotel stay on landing as well as non-access to vaccines in current country (Philippines) forced us to change plans.

My wife was granted a one year multiple entry PRTD in August of 2020 whcih will expire in two months. I've arranged with my company to re-locate/re-patriate to Canada in March of next year so that my wife and I can at least get vaccinated here before we head there. We'd like our kids to be vacinated before travelling as well but that looks unlikely at this point.

My question is should we a) file for a new PRTD now even though the current one is valid explaining that we've had to change plans due to the unknown/unpreductable course the pandemic has taken or b) allow the one that was issued to expire and then apply for a new one?

Any other thoughts/considerations are appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is should we a) file for a new PRTD now even though the current one is valid explaining that we've had to change plans due to the unknown/unpreductable course the pandemic has taken or b) allow the one that was issued to expire and then apply for a new one?
I don't see any point in applying before the current one expires - not even sure IRCC would process it.

And since your plan is for next march, don't really see the point either. You may want to do well in advance, of course.

CanuckBoy

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see any point in applying before the current one expires - not even sure IRCC would process it.

And since your plan is for next march, don't really see the point either. You may want to do well in advance, of course.
Thanks, I guess trying to assess if we'll be penalized for not using the one issued. I would hope not and when applying for a new one woudl outline grounds we're hoping for humanitarian considerations on issuance of a new one

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

We applied for a PRTD early in 2020 with intention to re-patriate by this summer. At that time we had no idea how bad the pandemic would get and that along w the emergence of variants, the impositon of the expensive hotel stay on landing as well as non-access to vaccines in current country (Philippines) forced us to change plans.

My wife was granted a one year multiple entry PRTD in August of 2020 whcih will expire in two months. I've arranged with my company to re-locate/re-patriate to Canada in March of next year so that my wife and I can at least get vaccinated here before we head there. We'd like our kids to be vacinated before travelling as well but that looks unlikely at this point.

Sometimes PRTDs are single entry and only good for six months. If you don't plan to relocate until March next year, I would wait before you reapply.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks, I guess trying to assess if we'll be penalized for not using the one issued. I would hope not and when applying for a new one woudl outline grounds we're hoping for humanitarian considerations on issuance of a new one
I don't know whether you need to make an explicit case or request for humanitarian consideration. As I understand you've been issued these routinely for several years as working abroad and your spouse accomapnyinh.. And I think not using your existing one this last year will be pretty obvious. You can certainly write a short note that you didn't travel because of covid.

(I am wondering whether the humanitarian consideration request somehow implies something has changed or is needed. Or might result in a different type of review. But I haven't followed all your posts or correspondence with ircc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

Not sure if that will help. But some provinces are vaccinating children/youth 12 and older now.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know whether you need to make an explicit case or request for humanitarian consideration. As I understand you've been issued these routinely for several years as working abroad and your spouse accomapnyinh.. And I think not using your existing one this last year will be pretty obvious. You can certainly write a short note that you didn't travel because of covid.

(I am wondering whether the humanitarian consideration request somehow implies something has changed or is needed. Or might result in a different type of review. But I haven't followed all your posts or correspondence with ircc.)
To summarize my point more simply - what you've been doing so far was working. Do that again - if nothing significant has changed.

A short note saying your planned travel to Canada this year didn't happen because of covid won't hurt. But no obvious reason to start talking about humanitarian considerations or risk muddying the waters.

But not an expert,etc.

CanuckBoy

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To summarize my point more simply - what you've been doing so far was working. Do that again - if nothing significant has changed.

A short note saying your planned travel to Canada this year didn't happen because of covid won't hurt. But no obvious reason to start talking about humanitarian considerations or risk muddying the waters.

But not an expert,etc.
Ok that makes sense - and I guess if it was denied for any reason we could appeal. Agree, dont want to open up a hornets nest needlessly

CanuckBoy

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if that will help. But some provinces are vaccinating children/youth 12 and older now.
Thanks - ours are both under 12 so if not approved for their age group by then, part of my hope is waiting longer to travel means that more people both here and there have been vaccinated, hopefully making it a little safer for them once we do travel and hopefully by then the entry requirements have changed/eased so I'm not having to pay $8K to stay in a hotel for 3 days!!!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks - ours are both under 12 so if not approved for their age group by then, part of my hope is waiting longer to travel means that more people both here and there have been vaccinated, hopefully making it a little safer for them once we do travel and hopefully by then the entry requirements have changed/eased so I'm not having to pay $8K to stay in a hotel for 3 days!!!
BTW If your family will share a room, it's not $2000 per person. I saw some only paid just above $2000 for the whole family for 3 days

Reactions: armoured

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
There's no obligation to use a PRTD once issued.

I'm doing another PRTD application after my first one was stolen and then reissued. I have to disclose that on the new PRTD application, and my main concern is that getting two of those in a row with a 1 year time period means I may get a bit more detailed residency examination.

I'm well in compliance with my residency, so it's not the end of the world if they want the detailed travel history. I've got GPS tracking on my phone to make this easier. If you are not in compliance with the residency, it can be a problem though.

As far as what happens when they are suspicious, my first PRTD did get me a bit of questioning from the agent. He was surprised that I knew my postal code off the top of my head (apparently most of the people he examines don't), and since I had listed several years history at my house he asked me about the nearby streets. I told him I didn't know, but I could give him directions to the local Home Depot and tell him what was around the are in terms of stores. That was fine.

He also pulled up street view to ask me questions about the house, including the color. When I told him the color, he questioned me about it (it looks different on Google street view). I responded that I was looking at the brick right then, and he told me he would pretend he didn't hear that. Applications for PRTDs have to be made outside Canada (which I did), but I had returned before it was processed.

All in all, a relatively easy exam, but if I had been out of my residency obligation it would have likely cost me my Permanent Residency. The reissued PRTD didn't have an exam. I'll be finding out if the third one does shortly.