+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ukraine application

BCbobby

Dec 3, 2019
Was curious if there was an experienced advisors in here to help me with my future wife’s application. Particularly with the 5604, declaration from a non-accompanying parent. Is this really the only document that needs to be submitted with the visa application ? One Notary had said they are unable to stamp English documents, so I have got it translated, will that be enough ? Would greatly appreciate any help, thanks all .

BCbobby

Dec 3, 2019
What documents are you talking about ?[/QUOTE

The imm5604 is the document I am wondering about , well to start anyway, the notary in Ukraine said he can’t stamp,it because it is in English. Also is this the only thing needed for a child to be approved on the application.? Just doesn’t seem like much

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Was curious if there was an experienced advisors in here to help me with my future wife’s application. Particularly with the 5604, declaration from a non-accompanying parent. Is this really the only document that needs to be submitted with the visa application ? One Notary had said they are unable to stamp English documents, so I have got it translated, will that be enough ? Would greatly appreciate any help, thanks all .
This was actually an issue for our application as well - or at least the specific objection was that the notary would not witness signing of a foreign language document. I suspect it's the same issue in Ukraine.

We did as you did, had the form translated into Russian, had that form signed by the non-accompanying parent and witnessed by the notary, and then translated back into English (with notarised translation). I didn't like that much because the format inevitably changed and the legal language in Russian, although certified by notary/translator, well, you never know what specific legal language they wish to see. I did, however, ask the translators to at least try to conform the English-language final to the original form's language (although I didn't check word for word after, it looked close). I put an explanatory note attached from me that we did it this way because notaries would not witness foreign language docs.

Just after we got that signed and translated, I got from a contact at the Canadian Embassy a dual-language version of the form, English and Russian - I guess on basis that a notary could witness a dual-language version. I chose not to re-execute because dealing with the other parent is not always easy.

At any rate, my application was not returned so I guess they found it to be acceptable.

So: you could do as I did, or try to find a dual-language version through the Embassy in Kyiv (or some other solution). Not always easy to get through to the right person and depends on how accessible they are - I was lucky I had a contact but it still took a while to track this document down (too long in fact to use it).

BCbobby

Dec 3, 2019
This was actually an issue for our application as well - or at least the specific objection was that the notary would not witness signing of a foreign language document. I suspect it's the same issue in Ukraine.

We did as you did, had the form translated into Russian, had that form signed by the non-accompanying parent and witnessed by the notary, and then translated back into English (with notarised translation). I didn't like that much because the format inevitably changed and the legal language in Russian, although certified by notary/translator, well, you never know what specific legal language they wish to see. I did, however, ask the translators to at least try to conform the English-language final to the original form's language (although I didn't check word for word after, it looked close). I put an explanatory note attached from me that we did it this way because notaries would not witness foreign language docs.

Just after we got that signed and translated, I got from a contact at the Canadian Embassy a dual-language version of the form, English and Russian - I guess on basis that a notary could witness a dual-language version. I chose not to re-execute because dealing with the other parent is not always easy.

At any rate, my application was not returned so I guess they found it to be acceptable.

So: you could do as I did, or try to find a dual-language version through the Embassy in Kyiv (or some other solution). Not always easy to get through to the right person and depends on how accessible they are - I was lucky I had a contact but it still took a while to track this document down (too long in fact to use it).

Thanks , that’s helpful at least I can look for the document in two languages and now know that this isn’t just something our notary is making problems about. I appreciate the feed back !

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks , that’s helpful at least I can look for the document in two languages and now know that this isn’t just something our notary is making problems about. I appreciate the feed back !
If you can find the dual-language version (which I gather was official or quasi-official at least), that's probably better.

I should have noted that our application is past the AOR stage and wasn't sent back, meaning they accepted it as complete. That doesn't necessarily mean they accept the final form as being exactly as they want it (they could, in theory, ask us to renew/revise and resubmit, I just don't know), but at least the entire application wasn't sent back.

Reactions: BCbobby

BCbobby

Dec 3, 2019
If you can find the dual-language version (which I gather was official or quasi-official at least), that's probably better.

I should have noted that our application is past the AOR stage and wasn't sent back, meaning they accepted it as complete. That doesn't necessarily mean they accept the final form as being exactly as they want it (they could, in theory, ask us to renew/revise and resubmit, I just don't know), but at least the entire application wasn't sent back.

I have been trying to get the dual language version but it doesn’t seem to be working out. I might have to do as you did, translate have signed then translate back to English with an explanatory note attached. I will keep,trying the embassy though. Thanks again !

BCbobby

Dec 3, 2019
Do you just have to have a notary stamp on your translation of documents or do you need to something else to prove they have been translated correctly ? Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly , thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you just have to have a notary stamp on your translation of documents or do you need to something else to prove they have been translated correctly ? Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly , thanks
There's a standard way that they do it, I don't recall details or have an example handy, but the notary + translator (usually in same office) will know. Generally photocopy of originals plus translation, in ex-soviet union often they tie them together, and I believe translator puts a standard boilerplate 'this is a true translation' and there are various stamps by notary and possibly translator, don't recall.

Basically just ask for translation and notarised copy and they'll know how to put it together. I'm sure there are more detailed descriptions online of exactly what is needed but I've not had a problem by just asking for notarised copy and translation together. (Notaries of course regulated in ex-soviet countries so standardised)

The permission from non-accompanying parent is the only one I've run up against that's an exception, due to this rule about not witnessing docs in foreign languages.