+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Civil Engineering Degree in Canada

asmolnik

Nov 16, 2017
Does anyone know how the market is in Canada for a fresh MEng UK Graduate in Civil Engineering?

I will be arriving to Canada soon as a permanent resident and I recently graduated.

What steps should I go through to make sure my British degree is accepted in Canada?

And once I do that how should I go about finding a job in the industry there?

Any cities with higher chances compared to others?

Any help or resources would be appreciated.

asmolnik

Nov 16, 2017
@Bs65
Thanks for your response, yeah I am aware that it is a licensed profession, and I have researched it a bit. I am mainly looking for information as a graduate engineer.

One of FAQs on EngineersCanada has actually cleared up a lot of the picture.

"4. Can a person with an engineering degree practise engineering in Canada?
Engineering graduates can practise engineering only if a licensed engineer assumes responsibility for the work.

No one can sign off on engineering work without a licence."

Which is exactly how it works here in the UK.

and about the degree it says this on the ICE website

"However, both bodies have signed the Washington Accord which concerns the recognition of engineering degrees, so if you hold a degree accredited by the Engineering Council for CEng registration, you should expect to be exempt from the academic assessment for PEng registration, but you will need to complete all other criteria, including the Professional Practise examination."

And my degree is accredited by the Council here in the UK.

But I mainly am looking for confirmation from someone in the industry or someone who has been through this before.

Basically if I need to do any paperwork for the degree before moving to Canada or once I arrive.

Because to my understanding, I think I should be able to just apply straightaway for graduate jobs and have no problem in finding a job there.

and if that's the case, I would like to know if there are any particular cities with better prospects for a Civil Engineering Graduate

asmolnik

Nov 16, 2017
Actually I just found a list of representatives of the ICE in Canada, so I will contact them for approval. But still I would like to hear your opinions!

Thanks in advance