+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK citizen & recent PR, no PR card; PRTD or return via USA?

WorriedBrit

Jan 27, 2018
Hello,

I was so startled and delighted when I received my COPR in March that I charged down to the border with my girlfriend (Canadian) and I did the flagpole process that night (March 26th) It was not until I was receiving my COPR back from the CBSA officer that she mentioned about any upcoming international travel.

I told her I was travelling back to the UK for a wedding in May, she mentioned at this stage if I had not received my card yet then I should consider rerouting via Seattle and returning by card.

I did some research regarding the PRTD in the weeks after and attempted to send a webform asking for my initial PR card to be processed urgently but I am beginning to worry about this upcoming trip.

I will be in the UK from 14th May to 29th May, but not near London. As far as I understand it my options are to attempt to apply for the PRTD (which may not arrive in time) or to fly back via Seattle (at great extra cost). Has anyone been in a similar situation?

1. If I choose the PRTD route;

How do I fulfill the Residency Obligations given I am such a new resident?
Which supporting documentation would be the best to submit from the checklist?
Is there a hope that I would receive my PRTD promptly?

2. If I choose to fly to Seattle and re enter Canada by land;

I have a valid ESTA for the USA but what is the procedure for landing in the USA this way?
Is there any issue with a UK passport holder attempting to 'transit' through the United States on the way to Canada.

I would not have any 'return trip' organized as I would essentially be returning to my home.

Whenever I have seen this option discussed it often seems to be 'too easy' and yet I rarely see any success stories!?

I would hate to disappoint my girlfriend by cancelling this trip so last minute but I also cannot afford to be stranded outside of Canada for a long time or lose my PR status!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I was so startled and delighted when I received my COPR in March that I charged down to the border with my girlfriend (Canadian) and I did the flagpole process that night (March 26th) It was not until I was receiving my COPR back from the CBSA officer that she mentioned about any upcoming international travel.

I told her I was travelling back to the UK for a wedding in May, she mentioned at this stage if I had not received my card yet then I should consider rerouting via Seattle and returning by card.

I did some research regarding the PRTD in the weeks after and attempted to send a webform asking for my initial PR card to be processed urgently but I am beginning to worry about this upcoming trip.

I will be in the UK from 14th May to 29th May, but not near London. As far as I understand it my options are to attempt to apply for the PRTD (which may not arrive in time) or to fly back via Seattle (at great extra cost). Has anyone been in a similar situation?

1. If I choose the PRTD route;

How do I fulfill the Residency Obligations given I am such a new resident?
Which supporting documentation would be the best to submit from the checklist?
Is there a hope that I would receive my PRTD promptly?

2. If I choose to fly to Seattle and re enter Canada by land;

I have a valid ESTA for the USA but what is the procedure for landing in the USA this way?
Is there any issue with a UK passport holder attempting to 'transit' through the United States on the way to Canada.

I would not have any 'return trip' organized as I would essentially be returning to my home.

Whenever I have seen this option discussed it often seems to be 'too easy' and yet I rarely see any success stories!?

I would hate to disappoint my girlfriend by cancelling this trip so last minute but I also cannot afford to be stranded outside of Canada for a long time or lose my PR status!
Hi

There is no urgent processing for an initial PR card.

1. As a brand new PR, it is impossible for you to not meet the RO; you just submit a copy of your COPR. There is no guarantee on whether you would receive the PRTD in time or not.

2. You would have no issues entering the US to travel on to Canada. Not sure what you mean about not seeing success stories. This forum is full of threads about people who enter overland from the US. It is very common.

Reactions: WorriedBrit

WorriedBrit

Jan 27, 2018
Hi

There is no urgent processing for an initial PR card.

1. As a brand new PR, it is impossible for you to not meet the RO; you just submit a copy of your COPR. There is no guarantee on whether you would receive the PRTD in time or not.

2. You would have no issues entering the US to travel on to Canada. Not sure what you mean about not seeing success stories. This forum is full of threads about people who enter overland from the US. It is very common.
Thanks for your reply, I've been in such a panic about my travel plans that I keep finding myself in the same few threads on here. I haven't see any threads which detail this approach, perhaps I am using the wrong keywords etc.

I would like to fly to Seattle instead of applying for PRTD as I have to return to work as soon as possible. I am just very reluctant to purchase a one-way ticket to the USA without knowing it is a 'safe' option.

Are you familiar with any resources or good threads which outline how they presented their status to CBP? I would be concerned that if I bought a ticket to Seattle, with no return and no Permanent Residency card, that I would run into issues in US customs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply, I've been in such a panic about my travel plans that I keep finding myself in the same few threads on here. I haven't see any threads which detail this approach, perhaps I am using the wrong keywords etc.

I would like to fly to Seattle instead of applying for PRTD as I have to return to work as soon as possible. I am just very reluctant to purchase a one-way ticket to the USA without knowing it is a 'safe' option.

Are you familiar with any resources or good threads which outline how they presented their status to CBP? I would be concerned that if I bought a ticket to Seattle, with no return and no Permanent Residency card, that I would run into issues in US customs.
As I said, it is a common situation and you can just explain it to CBP. You live in Canada and are just taking a holiday to the UK, so you are not a risk to CBP.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just make sure you have your COPR with you and even maybe any other proof of residence in Canada such as a copy of any lease agreement and even your original travel iternerary showing your original return plan. On a one way ticket to the US you have both CBP and possibly the airline to deal with but you should be fine, more info is better than none at all although no need to over do it or over think things.

As for cost assume your current return is non refundable given one way from UK to US tends to be a rip off versus Vancouver/Uk/Seattle.

Just for info PRTDs out of London I heard quoted as 5 days assume business days but not worth the risk should there be any delays or incomplete document rejection.

WorriedBrit

Jan 27, 2018
Just make sure you have your COPR with you and even maybe any other proof of residence in Canada such as a copy of any lease agreement and even your original travel iternerary showing your original return plan. On a one way ticket to the US you have both CBP and possibly the airline to deal with but you should be fine, more info is better than none at all although no need to over do it or over think things.

As for cost assume your current return is non refundable given one way from UK to US tends to be a rip off versus Vancouver/Uk/Seattle.
I can amend my original booking and return to Vancouver for a reasonable fee, providing my PRTD wasn't hugely delayed I could probably arrange some sick days or unpaid leave from work. My only concern would be in the event I apply for a PRTD and there's a significant delay or loss of package.

My work would be understanding if the delay was short term but if the worst case scenario happened then it would be really difficult to imagine them being happy to have me stranded in the UK for weeks.

Perhaps it is preferable to apply for the PRTD and, assuming my case is simple, that they will be able to expedite the passport and document to me quickly, the idea of an expensive booking to Seattle with still so many question marks over the plan isn't particularly appealing but I feel compelled to return as soon as possible due to work commitments.

Last edited:
Reactions: andy1011

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Unfortunately you do not have a case to get a PRTD expedited as a case for expediting anything only applies when somebody needs to attend a funeral or a seriously sick relative , not for a vacation.

You could apply for a PRTD the moment you land but if you have not done so already read the document checklist as believe you need to submit your passport with the application so once submitted you are committed to wait it out to you get the approved PRTD back. Whilst various people quote 5 days processing in London those are likely business days excluding post to and from, without any errors in the application

You could look to change your current return if refundable to a Vancouver/UK/Seattle return and just forget the PRTD application. Or even if refundable start with a Seattle/UK/Seattle return.

There is no easy answer anyone here can give other than already given that is not unusual for people to fly into the US and cross a land border assuming they have the correct documentation to enter the US. After all people cross from Canada to the US and back all the time even temp residents without issue. Advantage over them is that you are a PR albeit without a PR card and being visa exempt is also a plus in that regard, neither guarantees entry to the US of course but helps.

Last edited:

WorriedBrit

Jan 27, 2018
Unfortunately you do not have a case to get a PRTD expedited as a case for expediting anything only applies when somebody needs to attend a funeral or a seriously sick relative , not for a vacation.

You could apply for a PRTD the moment you land but if you have not done so already read the document checklist as believe you need to submit your passport with the application so once submitted you are committed to wait it out to you get the approved PRTD back. Whilst various people quote 5 days processing in London those are likely business days excluding post to and from, without any errors in the application

You could look to change your current return if refundable to a Vancouver/UK/Seattle return and just forget the PRTD application. Or even if refundable start with a Seattle/UK/Seattle return.

There is no easy answer anyone here can give other than already given that is not unusual for people to fly into the US and cross a land border assuming they have the correct documentation to enter the US. After all people cross from Canada to the US and back all the time even temp residents without issue. Advantage over them is that you are a PR albeit without a PR card and being visa exempt is also a plus in that regard, neither guarantees entry to the US of course but helps.
Regarding flying to the United States, I am led to believe that a return or onward ticket is required so as to show you will not overstay the 90 day VWP limit.

Does that mean that those PRs who fly to the US must also have return flights or flights leaving Canada booked too? How do we reassure a CBP officer in Seattle that we don't intend to remain in the US, seems risky to fly all the way to the States just to hope a CBP officer isn't in a bad mood.

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Being a new PR, there is no question of RO when you apply for PRTD. You apply online via VFS and you need not be in London. You choose to courrier your passport. Your case seems so straight that the 5 dyas processing time + psoting should apply..This is my opinion having been through this experience

Reactions: Bloodrose

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Regarding flying to the United States, I am led to believe that a return or onward ticket is required so as to show you will not overstay the 90 day VWP limit.

Does that mean that those PRs who fly to the US must also have return flights or flights leaving Canada booked too? How do we reassure a CBP officer in Seattle that we don't intend to remain in the US, seems risky to fly all the way to the States just to hope a CBP officer isn't in a bad mood.
Again, you are not a risk to CBP. You will just explain the situation: you live in Canada, went to the UK for a short holiday and don't have a PR card to fly directly back to Canada. If you are worried, take proof of your life and ties in Canada.

WorriedBrit

Jan 27, 2018
Being a new PR, there is no question of RO when you apply for PRTD. You apply online via VFS and you need not be in London. You choose to courrier your passport. Your case seems so straight that the 5 dyas processing time + psoting should apply..This is my opinion having been through this experience
Hi

I have been in touch with both the Visa Office in London, VAC and courier.

I think I will apply for a PRTD and amend me return flight.

I have a question regarding the form though, do I leave question/section 19 (Humanitarian and compassionate blank) and simply provide a covering letter explaining my situation?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I have been in touch with both the Visa Office in London, VAC and courier.

I think I will apply for a PRTD and amend me return flight.

I have a question regarding the form though, do I leave question/section 19 (Humanitarian and compassionate blank) and simply provide a covering letter explaining my situation?
If you are traveling to UK via Heathrow or something, you can consider preparing the PR TD app in advance and dropping it off in person at the VAC in London, before continuing on to your final destination in UK.
http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/UnitedKingdom/contact_us.html

Just need to keep in mind if you need your passport or not during your trip. The VAC may require you to submit passport with PR TD app upfront, or they may require it later on in the process just for final PR TD attachment.

You would leave any sections on H&C reasons "N/A", and just explain your situation which is quite common. You can also request urgent processing with a copy of your return ticket. There are no firm rules on how they process PR TDs or if they'll do urgently or not, but i've heard of others getting them back in less than a week (though really depends on many factors). The more you can do in person at the VAC, the better.

WorriedBrit

Jan 27, 2018
If you are traveling to UK via Heathrow or something, you can consider preparing the PR TD app in advance and dropping it off in person at the VAC in London, before continuing on to your final destination in UK.
http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/UnitedKingdom/contact_us.html

Just need to keep in mind if you need your passport or not during your trip. The VAC may require you to submit passport with PR TD app upfront, or they may require it later on in the process just for final PR TD attachment.

You would leave any sections on H&C reasons "N/A", and just explain your situation which is quite common. You can also request urgent processing with a copy of your return ticket. There are no firm rules on how they process PR TDs or if they'll do urgently or not, but i've heard of others getting them back in less than a week (though really depends on many factors). The more you can do in person at the VAC, the better.
The reply I received from the Visa Office suggested that I include my flight itinerary and a covering letter explaining my circumstances.

My plan is to prepare everything in advance, however, I cannot make an adjustment via London to drop off my passport but I could make it to London to pick it up once I had sent it in and it has all been processed.

After consulting all my options, I think providing the PRTD isn't massively delayed in returning to me then I should be able to make a sensible judgement about amending (for a fee) my return date home to Vancouver. All indications are that it shouldn't be a complicated application or that it shouldn't be delayed too much, I'd simply be at the mercy of the Visa Officer in terms of how fast it can be processed and hope the courier isn't too long in returning it to me.

Last edited:

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
, I'd simply be at the mercy of the Visa Officer in terms of how fast it can be processed and hope the courier isn't too long in returning it to me.
Yoy are not at the mercy of anyone, VFS just act as QAQC to check teh application and psot it to the Emabassy, they do not have any power to decide on time or grant or not...

I suggest you do not amend you return ticket unless you get some certainity when in the UK but you can put together your application righ away.

Papagod

May 19, 2015
You are worrying about US customs unnecessarily unless you have previously had a problem with them, like refusal of entry for any reason etc? When I moved to Canada i had a one way flight to USA and at Gatwick I was told at check in that homeland security needed to speak to me, I was concerned but they just wanted to know why I only had a one way flight. Told them I was flying to Canada after and they were fine with it.

Canadians in Winnipeg often drive down to north dakota or minnesota to take international flights as it can be cheaper, obviously they arrive back on a one way ticket and just say they drove down and are driving back. I've never had a problem with us customs and i cross the land border twice a week usually, know your answers, carry supporting documents and dont sweat profusely when answering simple questions. Pr card took 4 months to arrive for me so you'll never get it in time and prtd is just a hassle.